Rebuilt versus Salvage Title

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is probably a simple question, but it was my understanding that a "salvage" title meant that the repairs would have cost more than the value of the car. If that's the case, what then is a "rebuilt" title?

I've been looking at an ad on Ebay for a 2002 GTS which purportedly has a "rebuilt" title.

Thanks in advance......

Don

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don,
Every state has different laws regarding salvage titles... in Missouri a salvage title means that the insurance company has said that there is more than 70% damage done to the vehicle than the value of the car is worth. A rebuilt title means that somebody bought a vehicle with a salvage title and repaired it... then they had a state official inspect the car and after inspecting it the state approves a rebuild title to the owner for resale. A rebuild title still means that it was a total at one point...
Hope that helps,
Joe

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PBJ is right. The salvage title is a current status of a vehicle that is considered a total loss. After repairs the title is changed to a rebuilt status(most states). Good news is that Banks will make loans on rebuilt title cars. They will not on salvage title cars. You will pay the same on insurance with your rebuilt title and you will receive the same (if a claim is made again) amount of money for repairs. The big difference is resale value. Depends on the car but most rebuilt title cars take about a 15 to 20% hit on market value next to the clean title one. That's OK if you are in the market for a driver. In whole the only thing a salvage/rebuilt title is for is to inform all future owners/investors(banks) that sometime in the vehicles life it was considered a total loss. Sad thing is I've seen Clean titled cars hide its history and people can be scammed. Everyday cars get damaged! Cars are repaired every day! I would just soon know about it. In case you are wondering I've owned several sports cars that had rebuilt titles. Big deal. Never had an ounce of problem out of them. If the repairs are done correctly cars can be better than new. Just ask any Body shop. Especially ask them what some of the tolerances are for frames. I've seen tolerences as much as 20mm. One millimeter is .040" do the math. Thats over 3/4".

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Currently going through this process I can tell you first hand. (General speaking with most states) When a car is wrecked its given a Salavage Certificate which makes it illegal for road use. If someone chooses to rebuild they car they obtain a Salavge Title. This just means (as stated above) that the car was once considered a total loss and the state which documented it verified that it was not a stolen/grey market vehicle. This title is then changed to rebuilt which makes it a typical road-use vehicle that has all the benefits of new.

Here's the catch. When you buy a rebuilt vehicle you lose all rights to all of its implied warrenties. If a dealership fixes something under warrenty they are doing it at their own loss. I'm not even sure how recalls would be handled on these vehciles since you really can't sue for defect later. There is no compnay (that I have found) that will even touch a Salv car regardless of miles or age. To add to that you have no idea who/how/when the repairs were made to make it look good again. Most rebuilders are honest people, but the bad apples will crush you on shoddy repairs.

Remember Vipers are almost always cheaper to buy new then rebuild correctly. Literally hundreds (and I have the numbers to prove it) of snakes have been rebuilt now and most are quite good.

Make sure you have trust in the person you are buying from or you will regret it.

OTHER BUYERS BEWARE - The term Salvage/Junk/Reconstructed Title all refer to the same thing BUT it is a delcaration by the insurance company selling the vehicle. If a car gets completely smashed and there is no full coverage the car can legally be sold with a Clean title. Run Carfax, check with a dealer AND check with me (as I keep record of all wrecked vipers I come across) before buying a questionable car.

OP
OP
D

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all who answered. It's now much clearer to me.

And thanks for the question and answer regarding an extended warranty. I wouldn't purchase a Viper without a warranty, or at least the opportunity to purchase one.

Don

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny thing is I've never once had to have warranty work performed on any vehicle I've ever owned. Nor when it came to buying my 96 I never asked or sought for an extended warranty. Why? I've had it three years now and only thing that has went out is a fuel pump and a oil(gage) sending unit. Both of which I installed. I do drive my car. 16k in three years is not that bad considering I don't get to drive it 3 months out of the year. Call it lucky but I call it choosing my cars wisely. Simply put some cars are just made better than others.

I don't necessary agree with the dealers ability to know if your car has a salvage/rebuilt title or not. Last time I looked they weren't hooked up with the BMV. Then How do they Know? Do you think they run a carfax on every car they work on. I doubt it.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is one area that state to state differences are really messy.

I am looking at a "salvage" title car right now. In AR, this is a very vague thing. Privacy laws have made it a little tougher to find out the details, but in AR, you can have a lawyer to request the full title history of a car, and in my case, it might come with a "declaration of reconstruction" listing all the things done to repair the car.... I'm waiting to see if this is it, or a theft recovery (which is what my research leads me to think).

Red flag on this car was the dealer report: under the "Warranty Coverage Summary" it said "No Warranty Coverage for this vehicle, Vehicle Restricted".... usually this means a car has been written of by an insurance company.... remember, it might not have even been a wreck, it can mean flood damage or theft recovery (as it appeared to be in my cars case).

One thing for sure, if the repairs are done correctly, a buyer can get a really good car at a fair price. The percentage reduction compared to an undamaged car I have seen in the classifieds is 10-15%, mostly dependent on the quality of the repair, the extent of the damage repaired... how well the repair was documented, and the age of the car. This percentage seems to be higher for newer cars and lower for older cars that are out of warranty anyway.

I used to be into Shelby's. Shelby's and Vipers have a lot in common.... it seems that a majority of Shelby's seemed to get "smacked-up" too... once a Shelby is restored, nobody seems to care.... as long as the restoration is done in a quality manner.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, no DC warranty on rebuilt vehicle. I checked into buying one, and found out quickly that no extended warranty company will touch them. Save up a little more, and get a clean title. You'll thank yourself after you are driving in a car you know to be in good shape
smile.gif

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jay Herbert:
I am looking at a "salvage" title car right now. In AR, this is a very vague thing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must be registered for see images
The same VIN you're using for your VCA membership? I'd say that's vagueness defined.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by viperrt96:
I don't necessary agree with the dealers ability to know if your car has a salvage/rebuilt title or not. Last time I looked they weren't hooked up with the BMV. Then How do they Know? Do you think they run a carfax on every car they work on. I doubt it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Chrysler's system is probably far more accurate at detecting a wreck then carfax, especially if you know what you are looking for. DC keeps record of everything you do to the car in a DC dealership and if you can get hold of the history its just a matter of reading between the lines. Carfax as a whole is a huge joke. It's one of those "to keep honest people honest" systems as those looking to scam you already know how to defeat the system.

My efforts have been stymied (by someone here on the board I believe), but once I get my home system back up to par I will resume my documentations. Hopefully once back in the groove it will only be a matter of time before I have the ad-lib history of all 14k snakes. Those that have been wrecked will have no where to hide. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!.....um...ahem....*cough*

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
List when able please
supergrin.gif
. Maybe something to put as a reference on this site or others, anything to help out the next Viper crew.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave