3M Paint Protection Film

BlueCrotalus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the 3M Paint Protection Film? It seems like the front of a viper would be a difficult application. Thanks for the help.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put the full set on my 97 GTS by myself. It was a lot of work but went well. I don't think you can expect it to be perfect but it is not noticeable from 5 feet except maybe the fine line along the hood protector. As you can imagine the middle protion is the most difficult. I have not put the mirror protectors on yet. I got mine from Ryan Tounsley UltraShield of Scottsdale. He was very helpful and included a video and squeege tool in the kit. I think he gives VCA discounts. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My philosophy is a bit different. It takes about 30 minutes to remove the front fascia and mirrors. So rather than cover them with something that does not look that great, I just have them repainted when they get beat up enough - about every 2 years the chips get to be enough to warrant paint.

The 3M film is a good idea down low in front of the side sills, the lower part of teh fascia and the side sill bulge, because those areas are pretty small and easy to apply and they do take an inordinate beating.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my feeling too but the paint job after my accident has very thin paint for the stripes. I was getting 2-3 pits per week! The idea of putting on the 3M protectant is a bit like having plastic covers on a couch but I am happy with it so far and can always remove it if I get tired of it.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3m product is great, the only way to protect your paint and lights from road debris damage.

Have it installed professionally and it comes out perfect, most people don't even realize it is there. They make a Viper cut out so it fits perfectly and covers most of the areas prone to rocks.

I have a great place to install the film in LA, but dont know of any by you.

Edward 96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
www.stongard.com makes a partial and complete kit for thr viper. the complete kit is approx $550.00. i will call them to inquire about a group buy if anyone is interested. i have been quoted $350.00 for install here in Calif. those lucky enough to live close to the stongard facility can get it installed by them for $102.00(great deal!)
Ed

ryan 94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys i had a 94 rt without the film done and did some track days with the car and found out the hard way why the film is a
must. Now i have a 96 gts and the first thing i did was get the film put on. I have done 3 track events and plenty of highway driving and not a scratch on the paint. I got mine done by a local body shop and racer for $600. THis included full front,roof,mirrors,wheel wells and fog lights. All the different brands are good so just pick the one you like. Now just enjoy the car and dont worry about the rocks.

flyin ryan

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anyone that makes the film for just the bottom of the bumper and the lip that gets all the scrapes on a 95?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think anyone makes one for the bottom of the bumper. But the way the under side gets scraped, I don't think any film is going to help. Roe racing sells urethane strips that can be put on that has helped quite a bit on my car.

The lower lip cut out can be gotten from www.xpel.com. I think I have seen it there. I just made one on my own. It was time consuming but it came out okay. A lot cheaper IF you get it right the first time. The uncut sheets are not cheap.

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
InvincaShield has 2 kits for the Viper. They sell area specific sheets. They were willing to do a group buy a year ago when I inquired.
I did the mirrors for practice - takes getting used to but turned out ok. The beginner kit has alot of relief cuts that might be more visible when done. The advanced kit covers more hood.
Sheets are pricey when bought uncut but would allow opportunitues to practice.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have it on my Viper and love it. You can't tell it's on.

Tell Ryan, Adam Sent you and he will give you a discount. Notice on the last picture that the front is shiney...that is the 3m protectant.

You must be registered for see images

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kverges:

30 minutes for the mirrors and the front fascia?

Can you give me more information about removing the front fascia: bolts, number and location - problems during removal and installation. THANKS!

I have to remove the fascia due to a repair of license plate holes and I will get new paint too.

Killer Bee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ M:
The 3m product is great, the only way to protect your paint and lights from road debris damage.

Have it installed professionally and it comes out perfect, most people don't even realize it is there. They make a Viper cut out so it fits perfectly and covers most of the areas prone to rocks.

I have a great place to install the film in LA, but dont know of any by you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russ,

Where is your guy in LA?

Thanks,

Lance

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called up Stongard and asked for a recommended installer in the NJ area. They provided the "Tint Shop" in Edison, NJ. Anyone have any dealings with this place? Thanks.

Bandit400

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ElDiablo,

Thanks for the info.
smile.gif
I called them up asked a few question regarding the install of the Stongard. They suggested I can come down and checkout an upcoming install. I think I will take them up on their offer. I hopefully can get a good idea of their workmanship.

Bandit400

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keller Bee,

The place is:

Envisage Design Labs
Torrance, CA
866-335-3456

They are a couple of nice guys who know Vipers, and will go out of their way to make you happy. Tell them I refered you they have been giving anyone I send over there 10% discounts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave