Holy short-shifter Batman!

GTSTF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed the "gripper" knob by MGW and does it make the shifter seriously short! Any feedback +/- on this knob? i may add a 1" ****** to increase the length. Bad idea?

NJVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got one as a gift.
At first I thought it was too short...until I took it for a test drive.
WOW what a difference from the stock shifter long throw when you run through the gears.
Alot less problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd.
I would be very hard pressed to revert back to the stock one.
Like anything new, it will seem strange at first.
Try it for a while and you will get use to it.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Gripper Shifter...a little getting used to, but dunno how I lived without it...you don't have to turn it all the way down...there is some room for the desired height...

OP
OP
G

GTSTF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, i left it screwed on a little high. unfortunatly, i can't take her out for a test drive until the 1" of snow melts. and then i have to wait for the 2" of salt on the roads to wash away.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well...report back in early MAY...when the rest of us get ours back out!!!
supergrin.gif

OP
OP
G

GTSTF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not like the SAND Minnesota dumps on the roads for traction is any less harmful.

but be happy. you guys saw the 20's today. we here in Chicago just barely made it into the double-digits. Brrrrrrrrrr.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTSTF:
Yeah, it's not like the SAND Minnesota dumps on the roads for traction is any less harmful.

but be happy. you guys saw the 20's today. we here in Chicago just barely made it into the double-digits. Brrrrrrrrrr.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh...they use sand, salt, and a salt solution up here...it totally *****!

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put in the MGW First Strike shifter + B&M Short shifter, great combo, easy do-it-yourself project. Nice feel and positive shifts; I had trouble missing shifts with the stock setup. Also since it’s easy to get to once you'er installing the B&M shifter, you might as well install the Jet 1-4 skip shift eliminator. Summit Racing has both of these items in stock, B&M shifter $249.95, Summit part number BMM-45055, and Jet skip shift eliminator $29.69 Summit part number JET-61610, and for me the Summit warehouse is right here in town. http://www.summitracing.com/

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimT 99RT:
I just put in the MGW First Strike shifter + B&M Short shifter, great combo, easy do-it-yourself project. Nice feel and positive shifts; I had trouble missing shifts with the stock setup. Also since it’s easy to get to once you'er installing the B&M shifter, you might as well install the Jet 1-4 skip shift eliminator. Summit Racing has both of these items in stock, B&M shifter $249.95, Summit part number BMM-45055, and Jet skip shift eliminator $29.69 Summit part number JET-61610, and for me the Summit warehouse is right here in town. http://www.summitracing.com/

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

Does that skip shift eliminator turn off the yellow light, or does it still come on?

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Achilles99,

As listed in the Illustrated Upgrade section, http://www.viperclub.org/menus/index_how_illup.htm, the Shift light does not go out. I seem to remember a posting that stated that the computer needs to be reprogrammed if you want to fully disable this feature, the best quote I remember though is the one about "If you use your right foot properly you don't have to worry about the 1-4 skip shift feature."

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSTF,
You'll love that MGW shift knob. It's not too short. After using it a few days, try another Viper with the original setup and you'll swear the original is meant for a school bus. You'll never want to go back.