Thread: Tow Vehicle - 2500 HD with Duramax and Allison transmission

Reply to Thread
    Enthusiast

Default Tow Vehicle - 2500 HD with Duramax and Allison transmission

I'll start this by saying that if Dodge built a true 4-door (crew cab) pickup, I'd be driving it. With friends and family as passengers, the 4-door is a requirement for us. With that said...

I bought a Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Long Box 4WD pickup last week. I use it as my daily driver and for towing. Wow, what a brute. I had the 6.5L Chevy Diesel before this (which is well reputed to be gutless). The DuraMax diesel with the Allison transmission is much 'stouter' than the 6.5L setup.

Rated at 300 HP @ 3100 rpm and 520 lb.-ft @ 1800 rpm, it is even more powerful than the Cummins (245HP/505 lb.-ft) or the Power Stroke (210 HP/425 lb.-ft). This truck really yanks my 28' enclosed trailer around! The Allison 5-speed transmission with it's own large radiator for cooling is hell for stout with a towing capacity of 19,850 lbs. (the truck itself is rated at just under 16,000 lbs.)

The Duramax motor:

- 32 valve 8 Cylinder - water/oil cooled
    - Cold start (air intake heater and glow plugs)
    - Center mounted turbo with 20 psi boost
    - Bosch electronic controlled common rail direct-injection
    - Forged nitrided crank
    - 4-Bolt mains
    - Forged rods (one piece fractured)
    - Pistons are barrel ground (less scuffing) and channel grooved for forced oil cooling
    - Roller lifters
    - Roller rockers
    - Aluminum heads
    - Block Cast iron/aluminum - cast iron top/bolt on alum. crank case (less vibration)

The real test is getting behind the wheel of one of these with a serious load hitched up. My trailer with car, tools, 4 wheeler, etc.. weighs about 14,000 lbs. and is a 28' enclosed tag. The difference between this truck,(2500 HD long box 4WD) and my old truck, (3500 6.5L TD, long box 2WD) is incredible. Much faster starts, much less speed reduction on steep inclines, less noise, and what appears to be similar fuel economy (14MPG with load)

Only time will tell about the reliability as the Dodge Cummins is king of that hill at this time. I'll let you know how this vehicle does with reliabilty after we get some serious miles on it.

Enthusiast

Default Re: Tow Vehicle - 2500 HD with Duramax and Allison transmission

I also got an '01 Duramax 4x4 a few months back. My '99 Cummins seems 20 years behind this truck in every single category. It makes a decent daily driver and is actually fast. I think one of the car magazines posted an 8.2 second 0-60 time for one of these 6300 pound 4x4s. I had no idea a diesel truck could be so good.

Enthusiast

Paul, I agree - its frustrating that Dodge doesn't offer a crew cab - they lose a lot of sales because of it. By the way, the Dodge's were substantially improved mid year in 2001. We have a 2001.5 HO / 6 speed 3500 extended cab sport - its TONS better than our old 99 3500. Dodge really hasn't gotten much press about the differences but they make the truck much better. We LOVE our HO Cummins - its a real truck engine with all the plus's and minus's that come with it. I wouldn't give it up for anything. It tows fantasically well for still being 100% stock - out GVW when pulling our trailer is 23,540 lbs and it pulls it without any problems. And it seems to love to work hard - the harder you run it the happier it seems to be....

Surprised at the weight of your loaded trailer. Our 48' Featherlite gooseneck loaded w 2 cars, spare tires, tools, EZ up, etc, etc, weighs just under 16000 lbs. I'm surprised that you tag is that close in weight...

Good luck with the new truck. I'm hoping that they are reliable as they seem to be a good alternative to the Dodge. And it may force Dodge to up the ante!!!

Enthusiast

I bought a 98 q-cab dodge.First cab and a half with 4 doors (2 suicide doors)Yep a full four door would be nice.But that allison tranny would be the thing that would sell me on a chevy.I like shifting but you can't beat an auto for convienience except dodge's which is a s*** box. Bruce

Viper Owner

I think Dodge will have a 4 door crew cab in 2002.

Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Cone:
    Paul, I agree - its frustrating that Dodge doesn't offer a crew cab - they lose a lot of sales because of it. By the way, the Dodge's were substantially improved mid year in 2001. We have a 2001.5 HO / 6 speed 3500 extended cab sport - its TONS better than our old 99 3500.............. And it may force Dodge to up the ante!!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henry,

You're right, it's too bad that Dodge doesn't build a crew cab. I hear they'll be offering a crew cab in 1/2 ton in the 2002 model year and possibly a 1 ton in 2003. The HO Cummins does look like a great power plant at 245 HP and 505 lb.-ft torque. They claim that motor has 40% fewer parts than the Power Stroke and the Duramax therefore it is more reliable. Amazing they get that much juice out of an I6.(more power than the V8 Power Stroke and almost as much as the V8 Duramax)

Man, that Featherlite really is light. 16,000 lbs. with two 3000 lb. cars plus tools and all is really light. My 28' has quite a bit of interior stuff like closets, 2 sets of overhead cabinets, and 3 sided stainless bench. My trailer also has double thick flooring. Aluminum trailers are nice for sure!

Hey Paul,

8.2 seconds 0-60? That's great! I know one thing, first gear in the Allison 1000 transmission and the 520 lb.-ft of torque the Duramax makes combine to give a pretty intense yank! I buried my 4WD diesel tractor to the axles Friday shreading around one of my tanks. The 2500 HD pulled that baby out in a heartbeat.

I'm headed to Colorado next month with the trailer. Can't wait to wave at the Fords and Dodges from the inside lane for a change!

Adios!