How do you reset the GTS alarm manually?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked up my '96 GTS from my local Dodge dealer after a repair of an inoperative alarm. Now the alarm works fine but both key fobs are inoperative and the Viper mechanic is now on vacation!

I have disconnected the battery and now have the choice of 1) a potentially damaging flat bed tow back to the dealer where it will sit for a week, or 2) manually resetting the alarm myself.

Question, what is the best way to get the engine running again? I know there is a way to reset the alarm (grounding a VTSS pin?) but am not 100% sure of which one to ground. I did find out how to re-program the FOB's without a DRB, but can't until the alarm is reset.

Also, is there any way to update the alarm to incorporate the '98 on up keyswitch alarm override?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks much....

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ron,
Some of us with 96-97 GTS cars have had the alarm module replaced under warranty. Problem was an alarm lockup or lockout. The replacement is a 98 style module that also comes with the new style fobs. Your old fobs will also work with the 98 module.

The 98 module works a bit different, for example, when you unlock the car the 97 would sound the horn but the 98 only flashes the parking lights.

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB,

What I meant was that the alarm would set if you pushed the door lock switch, then closed the door. Prior to bringing my car in for service, the alarm would not set no matter how you locked the car. I did this before I realized that the FOB's were inoperative since when I brought he car in, they did work. At this point I had to open the rear hatch to get back in and of course set off the alarm and disabled the engine. Since the FOBs are the only way to shut off a 96 ~ 97 alarm, I was hosed at least for the moment.

Fortunately, I discovered a way to re-set the alarm without the FOB's and was then able to start the engine. After manually re-programming the FOBs to the EEM, all was back to normal. Also, I found that there is a way to add the '98 style key re-set via a hidden switch if one so desires.

Thanks...