Competition Coupe => Street Coupe in 1 year ?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The talk that there won't be a street coupe for at least 4 years (2007) BECAUSE the design hasn't even been started may be erroneous logic.

Since they are building the CC, it should be a much easier task to make a street coupe since the "sheet metal" already exists.

The street interior/drivetrain already exists in the convertible.

I think a street coupe could be available as early as 2004.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is as much a cost issue, as the fact that many of the panels on the Comp. Coupe are not for a production car, but for a quick fix in case of damage. Keep in mind that there is going to be some massive changes at CAAP with preparing for a new line, and to do a GTS a year lster is viewed with the caution of getting the Convertible launched first. Once that is done, it takes about 2-4 years for a speedy car manufacturer like DC to gear up for another model. My feeling is for those of us that are looking forward to a coupe , again, sometime in the future, let Dodge know when the new convertible is out- to give them the impetus to proceed in that manner. When the new car is on the showrooms and selling like hotcakes, we let them know they could really sell a large stack if they had a Coupe too!!!

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess my point was that the 4 year delay for a coupe might be high.

Of course, since I own 2 GTS's, a 4 year wait would probably add value to my cars - so that means there will be a coupe in 2 years.

Murphy's Law

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CobraCam, If you read the info provided closely, you would know that the Comp Coupe was never inteded to be homologated for ALMS.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think cobra's point was that if DC intends to offer the GTS-R to teams to put it in the winner's circle soon, they have to build a road going GTS, due to FIA rules. The point seems to be that logically if DC wishes this, they won't spend alot of time bringing a GTS roadcar to the table.

Craig

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be a huge mistake if Dodge doesn't put out the CC in a street version REALLY soon from the release of the Srt-10. If they don't, sales may be low for the SRT-10.

Just remember that when the first Viper (RT-10) was shown, there was no idea that there would have been a GTS version. Now we know that there will be a GTS version and many people may hold out to get the SRT-10 in hope of getting a GTS version. IMHO....

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's look at HISTORY a bit?

Viper RT/10 out in 92.

Viper GTS out in mid 96

Viper GT2 out in 98

Viper SRT/10 out in 02 (even though it is a 2003)

Viper Comp Coupe out in late 02 to early 03

Now after looking at how things have been handled in the past, wouldn't it be a little silly to think that a GTS is "ready for 2004"?

Think about Viper for a moment? Those of you that now have one might still remember the day when Viper was still a "dream" car verses something that is in the garage? If so, you may still remember that part of building up the dreams and anticipation of getting a Viper is ALMOST as much fun as owning one. It is because of that very reason that you have to look at what you are asking for, and realize that having a GTS in a year would not be in the best interest of keeping the Viper image in it's current state as a true "dream machine".

In order to keep that "dream machine" aura, you need to keep the excitement built up for an extended period of time. Hey, a good lover is one that can prolong the experience. Do you really want the Team to just throw everything out now and loose that special anticipation that comes with Viper for the next decade? If so then all you are looking at is your own personal satisfaction, and not the overall great experience that you get by being a part of automotive history.

For those that can contain themselves, you will be rewarded with an exotic machine, at bargain pricing, that was well worth the wait.

FYI. Since the inception of Viper we all have known that on each one made Dodge looses money. But Dodge has also stated that the exposer Viper brings to the company has always been far greater than the loss of money that comes with each one made. So in order for a company to keep producing this exotic, they have to be able to maximize the exposer, or raise the prices? I for one would rather see the exposer stay at a high level, so we can keep getting Super Car performance at reasonable pricing. The way they get this maximum exposer, while still maintaining the excitement and anticipation, is by spreading out each little variation of the Viper family over an extended period of time. Therefore, putting out a GTS version in a Year would not be in anyones best interest. And the main reason is that the BUZZ that is created by Viper would fall all to quick, thus jeopardizing any reason for Dodge to continue on with a another all new future model after the version we are about to welcome into the family.

By keeping this maximum level spread out, we get that original feeling, and that never ending drive of eager Viper anticipation, to drive us through another decade of automotive jubilee!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

You state that "... on each one made,Dodge loose money."

I find that hard to understand.

I know that the Vipers are manufactured in small volume,+/- 2000 a year but since 1996, the body panels are the same,so the tooling cost can be spread over few years.

Also tooling cost for the panels must be pretty low since the decided to go with plastics panels,as compared to aluminum for this exact reason.

And they certainly don't loose money on the painted stipes when they charge $2.500.00 + for it.
They are certainly not loosing money on the engine since you can get a "crate" one for +/- $10K

The frame, even very strong/good is not "high tech" nor made with expensive material.

And they are using a lot of "corporate parts bins" that must be pretty cheap.

Did you ever asked yourself why the GEN 2 power windows switch have a bulb for lighting in the little clear window on top of the switch,but it is not working?

Pretty simple, it is a part from a mini-van and the LED(bulb) is green and not orange like the rest of the lights/instruments.

Same with the windshied wipers motors,mini-vans parts.

Luc.00GTS

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luc, have you ever seen a Viper owner go in and get 4-5 transmissions and an engine, right after coming back from a weekend at a track event? Have you ever been to a VOI? Have you ever seen the Viper Brochure that is at dealers every year? Have your seen the cost of the hood and how many they have had to replace do to shipping issues? Have you seen the enclosed transporters delivering them to dealers? All these things add up and directly affect the cost per vehicle.

You made a great point in your break-down of where everything comes from. But still all things have to be engineered to work as one. So keep that cost factor in mind.

Now let's not get into a debate about the exact cost, at least that was not my intention when I made the above post. I was trying to make everyone aware of the benefit we get by allowing the process to take it's natural course.

Hey the reason the Viper is what it is, is because it is in a league of it's own. Who would have thought that a Ferrari would be considered more civilized than an American Sports Car?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, most of that was off the "top of my head", along with all the hair that is missing. But keep in mind that over the years, we have heard this scenario on more than one occasion, from more than one high offical at Dodge. Look at how fast the SRT/10 appears to be selling out. Now take into consideration that it will take 2-3 years just to meet the demand. Add in the factor that this Viper is a world ****** (thus bringing in more owners to handle the increased volume) and the picture becomes clearer. Now throw on your own marketing hat. In let's say 4-5 years, the novelty of the SRT/10 has begun to quite down? Instead of building a new roadster, wouldn't it make sense to launch another version, or style of the SRT/10? This buys you another 4-5 years, before you have to start the whole process over again.

Your heart says now, but look at it with your head and you will see that the only way they will justify another version is when the market NEEDS, not wants, another Viper.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve make some very good points.

Even if Dodge is not loosing money on the Vipers,as a car manufacturer,you don't make money on a model that sell + or - 2000 units a year.( or even 4000)

So the only reason for the Viper to exist is a marketing one.

And from a marketing point of view ONLY, you don't release a new model (GTS) until you got everything you can in exposure,free prints and/or PR from the current/old one (SR-T 10).

The good part about it, at least for us GTS owners,is that the value of our cars can only be helped by this situation.

Luc.00GTS

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When a Viper coupe makes an appearance at the North American auto show, you can probably expect it 2 years later. That still hasn't happened.