What's so nice about the interior of the SRT?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What\'s so nice about the interior of the SRT?

One area I am disappointed about with the SRT (in pictures anyway) is the interior. I always thought the original RT had a really cheesy looking dash. The GTS was a lot better, but still looked very plastic-y.

From the pictures of the SRT, the dash looks a lot MORE plasticy than the GTS did - it seems like a throwback to the old RT.

However, I have heard most all the people that see the car in person say they love the new dash.

So, what exactly do you like about it? The materials on the dash in my E46 BMW are really nice - they don't look plasticy. There is aluminum trim, etc.. it just looks really high quality. The new Viper interior looks to me like it belongs more in a Chevy Cavalier or something than a Viper. I despise the rounded looking stereo - it reminds me of the kiddy-toy styling that I hated so much when I first drove a Durango, or the big clunky cheap looking buttons in the 300M my dad drives.

But I haven't seen it in person - so I'd like to hear YOUR opinions on it from those that have actually sat in the car and/or seen it up close.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s so nice about the interior of the SRT?

Hey Mike, my driver is an E39 M5, when the aluminum trim that isn't really aluminum starts to peel off, you may change your opinion of the beemers quality.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lee,

I'm pretty sure mine is "real"
smile.gif
They changed the trim to "titanium trim" in 2002, which is what I've got. At least it feels real and it feels metallic when i tap it with my nails.

It's not really the materials used, it's the layout, the size, shape, and feel of the buttons, the overall ergonomics, that kind of thing. The SRT just looks a bit lacking in this area - but those that have sat in it say the inside is a BIG improvement - just curious what they mean.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I didn't get the "cheesy feeling" when looking at the interior. It seemed much more functional, and with much more attention to detail. I looked more real than in the past.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Steve... so it's mostly the layout that "feels" better in the SRT?

I saw a picture closeup of the dash and it looked like it had the smooth dash that the '96-97 GTS had. One of the biggest reasons for my wanting to get a '98 was to get the pebble grain dash, which I thought was a HUUUGE improvement. I hope the SRT has at least that!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike, please keep in mind that I have a 93 RT/10, so my view on refinement may be a little different form those who are driving newer versions?

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And the light has been shed...

Thanks Jerry and Steve!

Hmm... Jerry, if you think 6'1" and 200lbs will be a squeeze, I better go on a diet! I'm around 6'3" and 260lbs. I hope Dodge caters to us "ample" owners.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The SRT/10 I sat in fit me without much squeeze, and I am 5-11" and 240lbs. So there is hope for us portly fellas!

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jerry,

I enlarged the picture and clicked as you said, but did not see anything else. Care to give a little more explanation of the trick?

-Matt

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mark,

I just say E46 so that folks know it's the newer generation - it's my first "bimmer" so I know nothing about previous ones, except that they used to make 318's, 325's, 323's, 328's... blah blah blah
smile.gif
Mine is a 325i sedan...still don't know what the C, CiC, CXi, CXiT and all that jazz means! I WISH it was an M3, but I am still a working stiff and $55k for a winter ****** was a bit much... but feel free to contribute to my new-car fund if you like!

Are you a BMW guy? If so, check out the new 7-series! I saw and drove one and it was really REALLY nice. I actually would like to sell this one and get an M3 sedan - but I don't think they make those yet
frown.gif

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Mike Brunton on 01-25-2002 at 10:47 PM</font>

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike, A first hand report from someone who is almost your size exactly. The biggest complaint your going to have is the seats. At our height of 6-3 you will find that you are looking at the windsheild header. I know I did. Also you will notice that the windshield is much more steeply raked and closer to your head/face. I don't have this problem with my 93 Rt-10 but than again i removed the seat adjusting hardware and thus lowered my seat 1 1/2". That is to say, I might have to do the same with the SRT-10. The seats are tight for us with a bit more girth around the middle. The passenger side seat felt very tight but the drivers side seemed to fit me better. Why I can't explain? The biggest question is how many trips will you take before you forget how far that windshield is protruding and you jam the corner of the window into your shoulder. I fondly remember doing that in the first C-4 ragtop I sat in.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I remember right, we were told the pre production cars do not have the texture applied to the dash or trim pieces as of yet.

They are smooth until they are ready to produce the final product. At that time they install the final trim with the texture or grain chosen for the final version of the production Vipers.

I still think the seats in the preproduction Vipers are way to narrow on the sides. I've heard the sides of the seat will be wider in the final product. I hope so, cause those of us that are 6'-1" 200lbs will feel the squeeze on the sides.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mark,

Give me a hard time about what? That I have the "little baby" of BMW's? It's ok... I'm not ashamed - I love the car, and as I said, it's not bad for a winter car.

Tell your friend M3's are nice too... they look real nice from the front - which is the only view I've seen. I've roasted 4 of these cars, and everytime the outcome was the same - guy tried for the ricer flyby, and I lay down a little more smack. The best was the guy that tried to get by me on my R1... which runs low 10's at 135mph! I did the ol' 'ride by him at triple digits on one wheel' trick, and gave a wave when I set it down again. I guess he thought maybe he could win on top speed? Didn't happen either! Maybe if was your friend as he's bitter, hence the "hard time" request?
smile.gif
. Or maybe he was the guy at the track who thought he could take the title, and ran a 13.35 against an 11.96? Nice cars.... just not fast enough to be a daily driver for a REAL man
smile.gif
. Tell him that... should get him going pretty good!

P.S. Who said I was a nice guy? I resent that remark! I work hard to be a ******* - and nobody's gonna take it away from me! ;)

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mark,

I was just giving you a hard time too
smile.gif
. I would really like a car that has the looks and power of the Viper, with the comfort, ease of use, and quality of the BMW. I guess that might be the Mercedes CLK-GTR, but that's just a TAD out of my price range. The 325 is an awesome car - if the M3 was available in an AWD sedan, I'd be all over it! But tell your friend I'll be running at NED alot this year, and if he DOES want a shot at the title, I'd be happy to oblige. I'll even give him a second head start
smile.gif

You were in Peabody huh? The best thing about this place is actually the fact that I live here, however... ******** liquors is a hoot - they have been in so many magazines under the "oops" sections. The owner knows EXACTLY how to market his product!

Reaction score

Will the head of the tall guys hit the soft top?

Can those tall and wide, get in with the top up?

I hope there is a couple inches available to drop the seat?

It has s been a long time since I drove a RT, and Viperrick's comments bring back memories.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fred, I didn't notice it being difficult to get in or out and saw a club member who is taller still fit with marginal headroom. Can't say for sure how anyone at 6-3 will do with a helmet on. I figure that owners over 6-3 will need to lower the seat just so they can see below the top of the windsheild. I had to slink down in the seat to get below the window header. The height may not be as critical as the dimension of your torso. I have a long torso vs. long legs.

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Seriously fellows,

What about us "big boys"...I'm 6'3" and about 270 lbs and have broad shoulders and long waisted. I don't really want to feel like I'm sitting on top of the seat bolsters rather than "down" in the seat if you know what I mean. I am currently doing my annual "weight loss" endeavors to get ready for tennis season so it will be a better fit by spring. The seat was fine in my '94 RT/10 and my '96 GTS and is also good in my '99 Prowler. Can anyone in the Viper Nation give me any feedback regarding your personal observations in reference to the above? This is really an important issue for those of us who don't want to get a new SRT-10 and find out it is not comfortable. We all will appreciate any input we can obtain at this point! Thanks,

Mike
NY/CT VCA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper