Competition Coupe

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dodge and PVO for making the Comp Coupe become a reality. Whether we are seasoned racers or intermediates, this racecar will be enjoyed by all. We all look forward to the day they take their first laps around the tracks. We will soon have a chance to experience the ultimate Viper.

I look forward to becoming more involved with Viper Days this year and next.

See you at Thunderhill in March!

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry
Both you and I know of the "uncertain date" situation.
Race headquarters is at Dodge's mercy in this regard.
I personally don't see why we can't get a decision,
or at least a REAL DATE when we will get a decision?
Most of the prospective buyers are afraid to ask or
voice an opinion. You and I have been asking but to no avail!
Maybe if enough others asked, it might speed things up??????????????

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Unofficial Response:

Patience my friends!

IMHO there's no way, at this point, that PVO could speculate. These awesome race machines will be built at the same plant as our SRT-10's ... and until the tooling is complete, how could they possible firm things up? Any date they quote would be built around hearsay and speculation .... which is NOT what you would want to hear.

I envy all Comp Coupe buyers! This is the most complete factory race car I have ever seen, and the price? ...... A STEAL! ... no matter when you take delivery!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Here's the official answer:

"They are under review as we speak."

I would certainly hope for an answer within a few weeks.

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe thank you for your prompt response.
This exactly what we were told about 3-4 weeks ago.
Then last week "in next couple of days"
now it's back to 2-3 weeks. Not your fault... don't
get me wrong,I appeciate everyone's efforts... just a LOT OF mis-information about this.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brookspeed the UK based FIA team are 'planning to run one in 03',
according to their website, probably just speculation, but would be nice if they manage to get their mitts on one of the 4 ? European bound Coupe's. With their Dodge/Oreca connections maybe they stand a chance

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne, PVO confirmed today that "no one has yet been confirmed". They have a full plate with all the new product in the pipeline. There are some other issues they need to get through before they can notify anyone. It's longer than they expected, but the worst case scenerio is that those on the list would have to settle for a Series 2 version.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, PVO is building the Comp Coupe in Series. The first group will be designated Series 1, and obviously the second group will be know as Series 2. The reason for the Series designation is to be able to distinguish between the years. Since there is no Vin number they needed a system to identify each run. Hope this helps?

OP
OP
V

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Venom 2K on 02-11-2002 at 10:30 AM</font>

Halnasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
Wayne, PVO confirmed today that "no one has yet been confirmed". They have a full plate with all the new product in the pipeline. There are some other issues they need to get through before they can notify anyone. It's longer than they expected, but the worst case scenerio is that those on the list would have to settle for a Series 2 version.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it's CONFIRMED that nothing has been CONFIRMED
confused.gif
confused.gif

I think I feel better?
If the list people would have to settle for series 2 versions, what happened to all the series one cars? Also isn't the cost supposed to go up on the series 2 cars?
It would seem that there would at least be enough time to send us confirmation of our request to order, or I don't know A RECEIPT.
Really anything official would be better than the somewhat speculative, often varying info we get from each other.

OP
OP
V

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would also be great to allow all of the people that placed an order on a Comp Coupe to have a tour of the plant when they begin their building process. Have a CC Cam with photos of the cars as they are built. Maybe even a show and tell driving session explaining the cars and all of their features. Maybe even let each have some seat time in one of the prototypes on an autocross somewhere. Maybe at VOI7?

Halnasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
Fred, we can't FORCE an answer out of them. All we can do is post what they tell us too.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,
I agree with you. I'm not taking aim at the messengers.
It just seems prudent to give some kind (any kind) of info, maybe a phone call, email, postcard, anything.
From visiting this board almost daily for the last 3 years, I've learned to respect your and others opinions, as people I would consider "in the know". My comments in the post above come from confusion stemming from varying comments from these "respected" people. As someone who has sent in a deposit, and only heard third party comments (that don't always match up) it would be nice to know who to believe.
My post was not intended as a jab at you. Please don't take it personally. We're just a little stir crazy.
Thanks for your insight,
Fred

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They need to name it something so they differentiate the changes from one run to the next. They still can change the name to something like; Racer 1, Racer 2 or Track 1, Track 2. The point is that each edition needs to have some identity that lets everyone know which run it is from. Now if they decide to make no changes, the name designation will not be a factor. But as in most racing, each edition should have enhancements on it to improve the breed.

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I, for one, don't give a hoot about what they name it...I
just want to know if I'm getting one and if it will be in the first group or not. Fred's idea about at least a receipt
seems reasonable? I know I sent a company check for 20k
in the early stages when we were trying to determine
the interest level, then sent a cashiers check with application.
No one knows about the first check, or can find it. I hope they didn't "loose" the second check also?

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suppose if the wait and suspense is killing you guys, you can go buy a porsche GTR or GTSR factory race car without waiting. Of course the porsche's are way more money and way less horsepower but at least you would have one. Or you can buy another $100,000 factory built racecar somewhere else.oop's one doesn't exist does it. We are extraordinarily lucky that a factory is going to build us a $100,000 racecar. Heck you can,t find a decent $100,000 used racecar let alone a new one.And it's not like you two don't have a viper to drive.As long as I get mine before Mumford and Woodhouse I'll be happy.I don't care when that is. And Fred your only minutes from Laguna Seca and Skip Barber go do some lapping if your right foot is getting restless.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wayne too bad your email does not work. i tried to email you something but it is undeliverable....email me with a good address & get it to you....

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Les
I AM VIPERLESS RIGHT NOW . Have been since Last May!!
So it is" LIKE I DON"T HAVE ONE TO DRIVE!!!!!"
Also, I'm not the whinning type!!!!!!!! Business is business
and IMHO this is not being conducted that way.

Halnasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Les,
Don't make us out to be whiners. Like I said, we're just looking for who to believe.
BTW your Laguna/Skip Barber reference makes me think you may have me confused Mr. Driving School Kinder. I'm actually closer to Willow Springs. I'll be taking your advice at Buttonwillow next weekend.
patriotx.gif

Fred Lee

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys, Wayne if your viperless I understand. Fred I did think you were the other evil Fred of driving school fame.Still it's amazing to me at least, that Dodge is making an actual racecar that is far more competitive than either Porsche or Ferrari factory cars to anyone willing to wait.Both Porsche and Ferrari make far less cars than Dodge and both specialize in performance cars.And Dodge will eventually sell us one at substantially less than anyone else on the planet.As we all know we can't build a viper racecar for $100,000.Let alone a factory authorized car that will probably hold its value over time. As for no reciept I am satisfied with the carbon attached to my cashiers check.Also this is the first time Dodge or any other american car company has offered to build a racecar for the average guy who is not part of a factory team or who isn't a multimillonaire.Think about what Dodge is doing. They are building an ultra competitive factory racecar that is affordable to the average enthusiast. That anyone can buy if they are willing to wait.I am no auto historian but I can't remember this happening before.So don't worry be happy as the song says

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Les this has happened in the past but maybe not so publicly. Carrol Shelby built approx. 34 Shelby Mustang GT-350's known as the R-models in 1965. Later there was a limited run of 427 Cobra SC's. All the factories built short runs of drag race specials in the 60's, which were ussually sold with no warrenties. Now you had to be a "person in the know" or have a dealer friend "in the know" to get one of these. Funny thing is that John Fernandez (Director of PVO) used to work with Shelby when there was a relationship with Dodge in the 80's and early 90's. Kind of cool that John is getting his chance at building a legend. And Viper owners are lucky to have the opportunity to buy and race it.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperrick, were those cars you mentioned for race only? I was under the impression they were street legal and race. Also were those cars a turnkey racecar that left the factory with all the safety equipment installed?I believe the comp. coupe will be delivered with fire suppression etc.which I think is unprecedented for an affordable factory racecar to be fully race legal as it leaves the factory. The key being affordable to the average viper owner enthusiast.

Halnasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan M 98 GTS NY:
Funny that the guys most vocal about there order are the ones with suspect racing credentials or intentions anyway. The ones that definetly will use the car as intended don't seem to worry about the status. They know it will come there way when the decisions are made.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's funny is that you seem to know so much about eveyone and their intentions. My "credentials" seem to be perfectly in line with the intentions of the CC. The questions raised were legitimate ones. How exactly does your post benefiet anyone?

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Alan, it takes a lot to get me **********
but you've managed! In my case both Dave Golder and I
have road raced Vipers and other cars numerous times.
Dave Golder has WON ALMOST EVERY RACE IN UNLIMITED
he has entered across the nation!Trap speeds in excess of 232 MPH! I haven't been in unlimited because I didn't have a car that would meet the heavy safety restrictions. The Comp Coupe with some roll cage mods will! Fred Lee has been in MANY of Skips Viper days and won his class at Willow last time out. I'm not certain of Jerrys race background but I believe he is active in Viper days also. We have been the most vocal.WE don't have "connections",refuse to get involved in the "politics" of selection, we just want to RACE the car!! So what's your problem???????????????????

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that insulting each other on this board is contrary to it's purpose.My point in this thread is that Dodge will build a comp coupe for anyone even if they have no racing experience as long as they are willing to wait. Since we cannot buy a comprable factory race ready race car anywhere else the length of the wait is irrelevant and out of our control. While I have a lot of race experience I have never had the guts to race open road like Wayne and Dave. They have as much right to a car as anyone. And in my opinion their races get more publicity for Dodge than viper days currently does.And Wayne has a point in that perhaps Dodge could improve the line of communications,but as long as a major car builder like Dodge cares enough about little grass roots guys like me to build me a factory turn key racecar I guess I will wait as long as it takes. I just really appreciate the fact that Dodge builds a comp coupe and a 02 final edition GTS. And that they actively solicit our opinions on this website.I own 3 Porsches along with an ACR. Yet can you imagine a nobody like me having Porsche build me a racecar. The only way I guy like me gets a Porsche GTRrs is if the dealer is stuck with one or buy it used.Yet Dodge will build me a car and all I have to do is send in my app amd wait.So we wait.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Dodge is consistant, as over the last years, the CC will get somewhat of a delay in being built. I bet a six month delay, especially since the new SRT is coming out at the same time and it looks like a sellout. The CC will be behind schedule for being built but I think it will occur, and I know many racers are anxious to see it and race it. I bet it wont make it until late 2003....just my opinion.