2003 Viper High-Performance Advanced Traction Technologies...

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an article I found at http://www.dana.com/news/pressreleases/prpage.asp?page=1025 :

"DANA CORPORATION TO SUPPORT 2003 DODGE VIPER WITH HIGH-PERFORMANCE, ADVANCED TRACTION TECHNOLOGIES

Toledo, Ohio -- Jan 08, 2002 -- Dana Corporation (NYSE: DCN) announced today that it has been selected to supply advanced traction technologies – including a newly designed center section and advanced differential – for DaimlerChrysler’s upcoming 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 to be launched in July 2002.

Dana Chairman and CEO Joe Magliochetti said, “Dana’s presence on this high-performance program further demonstrates our commitment to providing innovative technologies that enhance handling and performance characteristics for our customers’ advanced passenger car and truck platforms.”

John Fernandez, Director of DaimlerChysler’s Performance Vehicle Operations (PVO), said, “We are tremendously excited that Dana has chosen to play such a key role in improving the performance of a car that is recognized as the ultimate American sports car. Our Viper engineering group has spent countless hours working side-by-side with the Dana folks in achieving the optimum performance of the hydra-mechanical Hydra-Lokä differential.”

Added Fernandez, “The Dana Hydra-Lok differential has helped improve handling in high-speed turns and also aided in improving our test track lap times by a full 6.5 seconds, a very significant improvement.”

The Hydra-Lok limited-slip differential is an intelligent axle component providing unparalleled traction and versatility without the use of an advanced traction control systems. It first appeared on the 1999 JeepÃ’ Grand Cherokee sport utility vehicle and revolutionized four-wheel drive as the first and only axle differential to provide “slip-to-grip” performance in virtually any condition.

According to Fernandez, The Dodge Viper SRT-10’s promise of more than 500 horsepower, 500 lb.-ft. of torque, and 505 cubic inches of engine displacement will make it truly unique in its performance specifications. The Viper SRT-10 is expected to achieve some of the highest all-around performance claims ever for a production vehicle.

Mr. Fernandez also noted that the Viper’s 8.3-liter all-aluminum big-block engine drives huge 19-inch rear wheels and anchors a performance package that eschews technical gimmickry in favor of traditional engineering virtues. In creating the next chapter of Dodge Viper, the mission was to enhance its unfiltered blend of performance. Viper retains a traditional front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout with six-speed manual transmission. The commitment was made early on to use a racing-style chassis including fully independent four-wheel suspension, huge tires and wheels for maximum grip and massive brakes for stopping power. A new version of the Viper’s four-wheel anti-lock disc brake system, originally introduced for the 2001 model year, will be enhanced on this next-generation car.

The Dodge Viper SRT-10 was debuted to the public at the 2001 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Dana has a proud heritage of developing industry-standard torque management systems. Along with the Hydra-Lokä, recent product developments include the Dual Advantageä dual disconnect system, and the TXTä limited-slip differential.

Dana’s Traction Technologies Group consists of 25 manufacturing, assembly, and research facilities in 16 countries. The group encompasses a wide variety of traction-oriented solutions – from individual components to the gearless technologies of tomorrow. Its operations span six continents and are strategically located to efficiently address the evolving demands of light-vehicle OEMs.

Dana Corporation is one of the world’s largest suppliers of components, modules and complete systems to global vehicle manufacturers and their related aftermarkets. Founded in 1904 and based in Toledo, Ohio, the company operates some 300 major facilities in 34 countries and employs approximately 72,000 people. The company reported sales of $12.3 billion in 2000. Dana's Internet address is www.dana.com."

You must be registered for see images

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<Added Fernandez, “The Dana Hydra-Lok differential has helped improve handling in high-speed turns and also aided in improving our test track lap times by a full 6.5 seconds, a very significant improvement.”>>

6.5 SECONDS!!!?????? With a diff alone????? Is this compared to a Gen2 car, or just a VGX without the Hydra-Lok?

If the new car is 6.5 seconds faster than the Gen2, that would be classified as a _quantum leap_ forward in performance, and no other vehicle on the planet that costs even double or triple the price will be able to compete with it. (come to think of it, that's pretty much the story of the Gen2 right now
biggrin.gif
)

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
..... as we have been telling you for months ....

THIS IS MORE THAN YOUR "AVERAGE" VIPER!!!!!

Wait until the performance numbers start being published! It'll make the "less aggressive" styling turn into pure and simple....

PERFECTION!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. I guess it's beginning to grow on me.....

P.S. - Reading the 6.5 second thing just gave me a Woodrow Wilson. This stuff is worse than ****....

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is great news!

I can hear the whiners now! It sounds like this new Viper is going to be more awesome than any of us thought.

Does anyone know which mags have tested and when the issues come out with this info? I can't wait to see the numbers and read the comments!

Boy, it's going to be a long year of waiting for me. Now let's hope someone starts releasing more cool factual info like this so we can get back to having some fresh topics to rave about!

Jim

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is getting so hard to wait for my new toy... These little stories trickle out like trailers to a Stephen King movie. It makes me really want to see it NOW, I hope I won't be disappointed.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can a differential improve the performance of the car by 6.5 sec that sound like BS to me. I don't road race so I don't know these things, but it seems that it would only effect the power delivery to the wheels and not the handling. More even power to the wheels would help from breaking the tires loose coming out of a corner but 6.5 sec is crazy if that's due to just the rear end alone.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't this car with a hardtop be just as usable as a GTS on a racetrack?

I have heard about the new diff that Dana is using on the Viper... I will tell you guys this - there is going to be some AMAZING stuff out there that will make the SRT Viper the best track Viper ever. The new diff is a very good thing - but it doesn't begin to scratch the surface of the technology that will make this Viper quicker around the track than any previously available snake. Mark my words... just wait and see!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
Won't this car with a hardtop be just as usable as a GTS on a racetrack?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And how much weight will that add??

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question for Mike B; would you like to enlighten us on the 'Amazing' new stuff that will make the SRT so incredibly awesome? Cause I'm itching to know how a DIFF ALONE can cut 6.5 seconds out of a road course time; like Dean said thats INSANE. I hope this is true, but what other revolutionary components are going to make this car such a pavement-ripping monster? BTW This is not a flame, I'm just really curious
smile.gif
, even though admittitly, I'm not the SRT's biggest fan style wise...

Regards,

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like a Torsen technology based diff to me... similar in design to the Qualife differential. 6.5 seconds sounds like a little much to me, but if the diff truly will do that, you have some options: Opt 1, buy a Qualife diff for 2000- vipers. Opt 2, buy a Qualife diff for 2001+ vipers. Opt 3, buy a Dana (internal part only) diff for 2001+ vipers. Opt 4, buy a complete rear 2003+ dana diff and carrier assembly for 2000- vipers. The above is possible because Qulaife makes internal diffs for both, and 2001-2002 use the same rear carriers as 2003's just different internal diffs from what I understand. Both style carriers will fit in either car... Dodge no longer sells 2000- style carriers. all new diffs are the upgraded 2001+ carriers.

Halnasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by YellowSnake:

The Dana Hydra-Lok differential has helped improve handling in high-speed turns and also aided in improving our test track lap times by a full 6.5 seconds, a very significant improvement.”

You guys should read it again, it says the diff AIDED in improving the lap times.
You've got to remember they're car salesman
smile.gif

This reminds me of the computer that AIDED in a 50 H.P.
increase.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig,

I can't elaborate just now on what I am talking about - however, I will tell you that what I am talking about has nothing to do with the 6.5 second claim from Dodge.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
Craig,

I can't elaborate just now on what I am talking about - however, I will tell you that what I am talking about has nothing to do with the 6.5 second claim from Dodge.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike...

Do you mean Clint??? I know better than to dare cross you my SRT compadre'

You getting old?

Craig

Coulthard Fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mako:
What Clint said! 6.5sec must be on a LONG course (like LeMans!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Nurburgring!

The F1 lap record at the old German mega-circuit is 7 minutes 06.4 seconds set in 1975 by the Ferrari 312T car - surely its been topped by the newer cars in lesser series since then. Maybe mid 6 minutes? Anyone... Bueller?

I can see better traction helping the exit speeds out of corners, but 6.5 sec on today's circuits?

Scott

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that this is out let me throw in one more piece that might help show how this happened. According to the engineers, the SRT/10 was able to produce much more down-force due to the new body, which actually works with air rather than fight with it, like our current Viper's do. That along with the improved traction and more power, have led to the SRT/10 out performing the older Viper's by a significant margin.

The test location they are referring to is in Pheonix. I don't remember for certain, but I think they showed this time at PIR?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

Thanks for shedding light on this - it was a MAJOR topic of discussion at Road Atlanta this week. 6.5 seconds is HUGE at PIR!

Craig,

You're right, I meant Clint - I'm sorry. Yes, I must be getting old. At the ripe old age of 25, my hair is going gray, my brain is turning to mush, and I am going to place a pre-emptive order for my walker today
laugh.gif
. You'll be an old guy some day, and I'll be sure to stick around and make fun of ya!
biggrin.gif