Not impressed with the SRT

georgekessel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for saying this, but I was fortunate to be allowed to attend the Vancouver Auto Show as "Press" and was allowed to thoroughly check out a Red SRT (not drive, just view, open the hood, sit in it, spend a lot of time examining it etc...).

It's a wonderful vehicle, and it's very nice, but it really just doesn't have the cosmetic "sexiness" that the current GTS/RT has.

What I mean is that it's sort of like comparing an old Ferrari Dino to a later "Miami Vice" Daytona convertible. While both cars are masterpieces in their own respect, the Dino is more "inspiring", curvaceous and much more valuable then the later Daytona. Even though the Daytona is a much more refined vehicle, the Dino is more significant.

I guess I just miss the curves of the current Viper and the clamshell hood. I'm fortunate to have a few vehicles in my collection and I've decided the SRT will not join my garage. It's a nice car but it's just not, well it's just not as Special as the Current/Older Vipers.

Please be kind in your responses to this message - I know many of you will STRONGLY DISAGREE with me. I hope you appreciate and respect my candid opinion.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by georgekessel:

Not impressed with the SRT
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many of us aren't. That's why they started a new section.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not watched Miami Vice in many years. I thought the car was a Testarossa though.

Ron

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I hate it. I only hope the sales are not so bad that it discourages production for later years.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just hope Dodge gives a favor to those faithful that are buying the SRT convertible when they decide to build a GTS. Similar to what they are doing now. If I have to put up with this "ugly" SRT beast, there should be some payoff later.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people just don't get it.

It seems that Lutz's 80/20 rule applies to the VCA as well.

Rule 6 provides that disruptive people are an asset.
Even Lutz however, "sometimes has trouble distinguishing creative disruptives from crackpot disruptives who spread negativity and accomplish little else."
"Are you perhaps an irritant yourself? Then take a tip, please from a veteran: Even the greatest change agents- those who, if given free rein, could take the organization to great heights- must learn to temper their behavior or they will self-destruct. You need to be just irritating enough to set change in motion, not so irritating that superiors and colleagues conclude they're better off without you. I'm not advising conformity I'm simply suggesting you'll be happier and more effective if you excerise self-discipline."
Lutz (Guts pages 97-100)

McGuire, I provide counsel to clients at the rate of $300 per hour should you be interested.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car was suppose to look like a midnight black Ferrari Daytona Spyder (365GTB/4) Florida license plate ZAQ178, on loan to him by the Metro Dade County Vice Department.

Crockett's Daytona Spyder was actually a look-alike replica, built using a 1980 Corvette chassis with Ferrari-designed body panels and real Ferrari hardware inside. According to Popular Mechanics, the original replica was "spotted on a lot in Newport Beach by the show's producer."[7] Motor Trend magazine, however, claims the two show cars were bought at an auction. Al Mardikian, an auto importer had the two replicas built by Tom McBurnie, but he found himself in legal trouble and the two cars were confiscated by the Feds.[8] The producers in turn purchased the cars from the government.

In 1986, McBurnie Coachcraft and California Custom Coach both offered Daytona Spyder kits for building replicas, and turn-key models built on a Corvette chassis were available for $45k.

The Testarossa debuted in the 1986 fall season opener as a black version. Then Sonny was greeted by a white Testarossa,[11] Florida license plate ATF00M. He proudly recited the specs of his new toy to Rico, "345 hp and 180 mph!"

Amazing what useless info you can find on the internet.
biggrin.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

Holy smokes - you can get a house for $80 g's in sunny florida???

That's it, I'm moving! Got a spare room?
laugh.gif

P.S. I will defend you to these guys for only $200/hr. You've seen how masterfully I have defended the SRT - so you KNOW it's worth it. Cash preferred.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on down Mike we would love to have you.

Actually Mike that 80K can get you a nice 1600 sq ft place with a pool and a couple orange, lemon and grapefruit trees.

AHhhhhhh yes life if grand in FL.
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
The performance bump-up is nice, but not staggering in comparison to the current model.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read the snippet about finding 6.5 seconds of lap time at some undisclosed road course. If that course is between 2 and 4 miles long, 6.5 seconds is nothing short of <FONT size="6">STAGGERING!</FONT s>

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS Dean,

I have heard that the 6.5 second number is true, and that it was accomplished at PIR.

I am not familiar with PIR at all, and have no motivation to go look it up, so can you tell me how "staggering" 6.5 seconds there is?

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a revelation in the middle of the night McGuire.
You are absolutely right...the VGX is UGLY and I do HATE it!! Thank you for helping me see the light! I really owe you. I GET IT, I GET IT!

As far as enlisting Mako's help... caveat emptor... you get what you pay for.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran Viper Days there in '98. I think my best lap of the weekend in my GTS running R1s, PFC 90's and an aggressive alignment was a high-1:07. I think Erik Messley had some 1:03s before his car had problems. He drove Skip's car to a 1:05.xx in time trials. 1 minute flat times on street tires is just insane. I could handle that! At least I wouldn't have to look at that obnoxious air extractor from inside the car...

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that when they tested at BlackHawk (in Rockford IL) that they broke the track record by 4.7 seconds (which was held by a GTS). And that was a test vehicle, not even production!

When the information is released, there are going to be a whole lot of surprised people out there. The Viper has Grown up! Now it is capable of taking on the best in the world in ALL categories.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I better define the above statement a little more. The SRT/10 was able to best a GTS, highly modified with slicks, by 4.7 seconds a lap on AVERAGE. In some cases they saw times get as high as 7 seconds per lap! The SRT/10 did this on street tires.

Now stop sending me e-mails everyone!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean,

You better watch what you say, or people might think you're starting to like the SRT!!!!

laugh.gif
just teasing. Knocking 6.5 seconds off a lap when we're only talking a tad over 1:00 lap times to begin with is pretty impressive. I just hope (Steve) we'll get some more info (Steve) as soon as those (Steve) who know it (Steve) are able (Steve) to post it (Steve)(Steve)(Steve).

smile.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, the info I posted was from the track manager at BlackHawk. The OTHER information you are waiting for has to be released by the press, not the VCA. PR would shut the door on the VCA if we started releasing anything prior to the magazines. The wait will be worth it.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
PR would shut the door on the VCA if we started releasing anything prior to the magazines.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you just hate it when somebody holds a gun to your head?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper