New Coke & the SRT

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perspective here Marko: As long as the viper has 500 HP, the power-hungry will buy it, even IF it looks like an S2000.
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
T

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark O:
Are you saying that if Pontiac decided to drop a 500 hp engine into the Aztec, it would be an instant success?????
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, think about it. Marketing for that ugly beast might be completely different: "The Pontiac AZTEC--It may be ugly, but it's faster than the viper, and you can live in it if you're homeless." Hey, there are some guys here talking about instantly selling their Vipers and buying GT-40s if the GT-40 is .2 faster than a viper.

Yeah, the 500HP Aztec! It would rock the world!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark O:

there is not a single person that I have talked to in person, owner & non-owner, who likes the new & improved body style in favor of the current style.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I'm not saying Mass. is backwards, and I'm not saying the SRT is the best thing I've ever seen (driving that), but I AM saying, that at least in my part of Cali, the SRT has play with the in-crowd...

You don't have to believe ME though--let's just watch what happens this summer...everything will be answered then.

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Ok, lets be fair here, lets not compare the SRT with New Coke. Or even coca cola classic......

The SRT is more like.....

Fizzled out flat old coke gone stale with flies in it!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Mike - in Denver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I post let me say:

1) I prefer my RT/10 to the SRT styling.

2) I will buy an SRT, but I am a rag top fan (sorry). Really upset that it can't be yellow so I may not keep for long.

3) I like the refined SRT for my needs, and at the same time I know why others would not.

On the new Coke comparison, I offer up a different comparison closer to home for me. When the new 996 Porsche was first presented (water cooled, more rounded, more refined) Porsche owners revolted. The 911 chat sites made the SRT rants look like a love fest for the SRT. I spent months agonizing over a new 993 (the previous "cool" body style, but less HP and less refined), but I finally dropped my deposit on the new 996 and waited 8 months.

Result. 993 is still totally cool looking, and maybe better looking to the die-hards, but still looks old compared to the 996. Getting the 996 was the best buy I could have made. The refined ride of the 996 is so advanced, there is no longer a comparison. The resale of the 993s held, but only with real die-hards, and it has not affected the go forward momentum of the 996.

Just a different view.

Mike McGuire

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 996 more closely replicates the 993 than the SRT does the Gens one and two. To Porsche's credit, they seem recognize the value of design equities. Part of the P-car purists issue was the move from air-cooled to water-cooled, I think. Some didn't dig the new interior as I recall.

Re: New Coke. Good analogy. I've an acquaintance who took a fair share of the heat for this (left the company though would return in a pretty decent capacity). Pepsi had been gaining market share and the sweeter flavored New Coke was an attempt to lure new users. Not certain if it was cheaper to make. But it's all sugar water which costs less to produce than the container it's sold in.
Good business to be in if a decent mark-up is part of the plan.

The Viper is a cool brand. All the credit in the world to Bob Lutz for championing something so unique (odd-ball?) through the multi-layered, well-puckered environs of corporate America. Granted, he was driving the bus at the time. But the degree of difficulty is off-the-scale, none-the-less.

The SRT is rolling proof that current DC management is of the belief that the Viper can no longer exist as a "Halo" car or marketing tool.

Hope the existing Corvette customer base, or rather the defectors within, are enough to sustain the Viper.

OP
OP
T

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maxwedge:
what are U talking about.."The In Crowd" who the H#ll is that and why should I even care aboutt he german car Bigots(I assume thats who your talking about)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hold on, please...

I never said you had to care about the in-crowd trend modes, nor do I care about them.

Nobody here needs to care about them.

My POINT was and is that the car is going to do WELL, especially here in California. Maybe not so much so in Mass....but I'm betting it'll play well there, too.

If anyone disputes this, we will see what happens when the day comes. Looks like premiums may be running at $15,000 OVER MSRP, and the Z06 NEVER saw such a thing. Those are 2001 M3 numbers.

It just doesn't play on viperclub.org, as we've seen.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
interesting comparrison. i personally am buying one for no more of a reason than because i can. i love the gen II and i will keep my silver 99 RT10 until it can no longer be driven or I can no longer drive. but i am interested in the 2003 and its changes, plus i like that new car smell and itll allow me to do more "playing" with my 99 as i can retire it into semi-daily driver and go into psycho HP territory, then we'll see what the so-called fords can do against a 99RT10 1000HP silver bullet, LOL. one thing i definitely agree with is the outrageous looks and "testosterone ridden muscular appearance" is left behind with the gen I and II's. im a car buff, i love cars and find good in almost any american muscle car as well as finding fault, its what carlovers do.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agreed to participate in a little car show here in West Texas this weekend. While setting up I was amazed at how much attention my GTS drew from the other owners, and these are real car nuts with some awesome autos (32 Ford, ONE OF A KIND CONVERTIBLE Z06, McClaren F1, original Shelby Cobra's('70 mustangs) Hemi E bodies, Jim Hall's Chaparral cars, world champion Baja racers.

While they all loved my GenII, They were all very excited about the SRT. The Vette guys said the new version looks more like a REAL car. I did not hear one person say they disliked the SRT (but none asked my view so maybe they were trying to be nice). What I don't know is if that excitement will transfer into $ale$. I guess we'll find out soon!
smile.gif

A few of them asked me what kind of magic I thought Hennessee would have in store for the SRT.
smile.gif

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
geez isn't this tainted, I could go ahead and give an analogy where a company replaced/changed an old product and it was a success. so the whiners think the car is ugly. Fine think that, whoop de do, the SRT will be faster than any GENII or I viper ever made (say mods and I'll give you a mustang analogy that you've heard before and are sick of). Now you'll claim in defense that it's about looks AND power, that's fine keep your car and be happy with it. I don't understand teh NEED for all of this. I thought I could just sit back but I can't. What IS going to happen is that this car is going to be a huge success and will be liked all over, just becasue on here it is often the butt end of jokes does not mean it is going to fall on it's face. As for the comments regarding the "failure" of the design by an Asian designer who just doesn't get it, you owe much to a founding father of the VCA.. who is Asian, would all this exist without him? maybe, maybe not.

So please keep the hating at a minimum until you post about getting dusted by an SRT becasue those are the tailights you're going to be seing, and I'll gladly read how you're pissed about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456