Porsche should be ashamed- Here's why-

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Porsche should be ashamed- Here\'s why-

There was a recent post about an article in Sports Car magazine, where some Porsche driver went around Thunderhill in a Porsche GT2, (turning right under 2 minutes, probably 1:59) and then in an ACR Viper, where he turned a 2:04.

So here is my point-

Porsche should be ashamed, becasue their GT2 costs so freekin much, what, like $100,000 more, or even more, depending on availability, and-

Better brakes and cooling could not give more than about 4 secs difference, FOR $100,000.00 ?

We all know the Viper was developed on a very limited budget, (compared to development costs industry wide) and Team Viper did wonderfully for what they had to spend.

The real story should be how bad asp the Viper is, and how accomplished it has become, considering what was spent to develop it, and for what it costs to buy.

The very fact that it gets compared to a car costing over twice times as much is really only to Porsches' shame, because they could not do any better that they did, for what they spent, and for what their car costs.

The Viper is not as inferior as the Porsche is overpriced. If I spent $180,000.00~$220,000.00 on a GT2, and saw a Viper in my rear view that would not just dissapear at a mere touch of the gas pedal, I would be really pissed.

And now the SRT will close the gap!

GOOD FOR DC, GOOD FOR VIPER, HOORAY FOR PVO!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Porsche should be ashamed- Here\'s why-

What kind of rubber did each vehicle have? I thought the Porsche came on racing tires?

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I dunno. 5 sec a lap is a big difference. On the other hand, under the assumption you're talking about the most recent SCI article, van Overbeek, or whatever his name is, is more of a "Porsche guy", so it's possible he wasn't extracting as much out of the Viper as he was out of the GT2.

In any case, the "cost vs. perforance" curve is exponential. Mustang guys (and even 1badgts) say we should be ashamed, because the '03 Cobra will run dead even with a GTS in the 1/4 mile with only a chip and a pulley (far less expensive than the $40K difference in MSRP between the two -- though of course the GTS won't exist in '03).

Steve, I believe both cars were on street radials. I'll check the article tonight.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Venom Lover,

All good points!

But a Mustang with a chip and pulley won't turn any heads!

(Even as I write this, I think somewhere some Ferrari owner is looking at Viper owners, and saying to himself-

"So what? A Viper doesn't get respect down at the country club!"

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon, this is not meant to start a flame, but I thought you should know that that same Ferrari Dealer has a list of 12 of his clients looking for SRT/10's.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Wow, Ferrari owners actually interested in Viper? Well, that's cool.

If I had a big garage, and won the lottery, I would have my GTS, a 360 Modena, SRT-10, GT 40, maybe a nice C5 vert, and...

Its the best time in history for car aficionados. Let the CAR WARS begin!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456