'03 Viper--Girl's Car

KWIK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'03 Viper--Girl\'s Car

TUESDAY--
Reliable Transport unloads this red car at Timberline Dodge. I look it over....well.....it says "Viper" on the side so it must be a Viper. Have car detailed and DRIVE IT FOUR BLOCKS to install it in a place of honor in the showroom.
********* Viper guys arrive.
Rob: "Made an $84,000 mistake."
Cody: "Okay, but????"
Larry: "I think it's okay."
JonB: (for the first time in the fifteen years that I've known him) very quite
Tony: "Well, it's different."
Ted: only looked and looked
All the guys were not sure if it was a real Viper/GTS or RT10.
ALL THE GIRLS AND WIVES LOVE IT!

SATURDAY--
Dinner at Merriot Hotel....twenty-five real Vipers and one '03 imposter......wedding reception in the neighboring space.
Bride spots Vipers, sends for her groom, and before they greet their receptions guests, the newly married couple (in their wedding finery) take the elevator to the garage to see the parade of Vipers. This bride and groom are the first newlyweds to have their wedding photo taken in the '03. What fun! To round out their celebration...the Northwest Viper Club presents them with a model Viper as a gift. Which the bride carried with her all night long!

SUNDAY--
PIR...ride time! Ron Bauer, a senior member since 1988 of the PVO (Performance Vehicle Operations)for Chrysler takes riders at 85% (not over 4500rpm), three laps each in the '03 Viper. As every guy gets out of the car, they're in love! Very fast! And very flat! Makes the RT10 seem like 25 years old and the GTS okay. This car is very fast and very well mannered, you point it and it goes there. So if only the girls buy and drive it, you guys will be getting passed every track day and beaten at every drag strip by the girls. Don't judge a book by it's cover--THIS IS A VIPER!

Ken Klickman

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'03 Viper--Girl\'s Car

if I wanted a Honda S2000 I would buy 1, not a $80K Honda with a V10...

03 viper is 1 thing.... ULGY

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ugly with cupholders... Cupholders... What were they thinking?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The crying is deafening.... my ears are hurting!!!

Waaaaa waaaaaaaa waaaa waaaaaaa

laugh.gif

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're kidding,right?Cupholders?I don't even bother turning on the radio in my car while driving.Tried it once when new just to see if it worked or not. Bruce

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

P.S. to Ken's story: The bride and groom spent 1/2 of the 1st day of their honeymoon at...... PIR with the VCA. We took em on hot laps in the Pace Car as a wedding gift. (Only VCA members or Viper Techs rode the SRT/10.....perks you know, perks.....)
They sat in the stands for a couple hours watching us run laps!

There is NO CUPHOLDER.

The shallow, recessed hole that 'looks like a cupholder' is the finished nacelle for the ASHTRAY/Knick-Nack holder. It pops out. Remove the holder for trcak events, cleaning, or looks, and it makes the worlds WORST, guaranteed to scald you cupholder, that would likley even interfere with shifting if you had a tall cup in it by mistake. NOT A CUPHOLDER. Pulllleeeezze.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score

:Quote: Originally posted by Qwik
This car is very fast and very well mannered, you point it and it goes there. So if only the girls buy and drive it, you guys will be getting passed every track day and beaten at every drag strip by the girls. Don't judge a book by it's cover--THIS IS A VIPER! :/Quote:

Are you saying that all previous Vipers don't handle worth a d*mn?
Most Viper owners never drive them to they're full potential anyway.
Besides that, until you put them on the track side by side nobody knows who the winner will be.

As far as horsepower, it take very little to get a Gen 2 past the 500 HP mark.

Save the sales pitch for people who like the looks of the S-2000/SRT
puke.gif
(Rice).

If we didn't care about the cars looks, there are lots of cars out there that could be made far faster and better handling than a Viper for far less money.

Since this is about the SRT, shouldn't it be in the SRT forum?

Moderators?
Has it been moved yet?
Well?

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bring it to the race track and let's see what it can do. I would love to have comp car.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Rich......... Ken Klickman has turned out THE best-handling, best braking Viper that I ever drove. 515 RWHP, flat, $9000 brakes, $5000 shocks. He KNOWS how to tweak a Viper. I drive that car regularly. This SRT/10 was faster, flatter, and brakes better. Only car I ever drove that brakes better: Panoz GTS. I also rode in an Audi Speedvision GT car. Amazing brakes.

Re-read Ken's bit. It praises 25+ Gen 1-2 Vipers. He was skeptical, as were many of us. He LOVES Vipers and drove a 550HP GTS this day, that he built.

But the message is the same. This SRT/10 on this VCA day (this forum?) was the fastest, best-handling Viper, at the track. "Almost New, out of the box" and only 4600 Death Valley miles on the clock!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok, there were 2 2003 Vipers at Dodge's exhibit at the Woodward Dream Cruise and 1 GTS-r Concept Coupe. At first when I saw the 2003's I thought GM had accidentally parked 2 new Camaros there, but they were actually 2003 Vipers. The huge crowd paid absolutely no attention to them. They absolutely seemed to love the Viper GTS-R concept car, which the Competition Coupe looks so much like. They paid more attention to the old Mopars and stuff than the 2003 Vipers, enough said. I want a car that is not only fast, but looks good too. It may kick butt performance wise, but that is not enough for me.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I absolutely second that. Performance is one part of the equation, the other part is a unique and outrageous look. Not sure yet if the SRT-10 fulfills the latter.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Oh yeah (he says sarcastically), this looks just like every other sports car out there!

You must be registered for see images

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

1) I cambe back from the F-16 race, Mule-car **-hum appearance, and bought a NEW YELLOW ACR because I am/was disappointed with the overall appearance.

2) The higher, angular fenders and the Wide-upen, heat extractor-strake-filled hinge cover looks COOL but still is not the head-turning, curb-appealing, in-your-face, (remember cartoonish?!) Gen 1 and Gen 2 we all love.

3) Then I drove this NEW Viper, honored to be part of a brief "engineering evaluation" at PIR on the 'newest' SRT/10. Read my epistle elsewhere. I chased this Viper on the track. I watched it moving, up close and personal. The SRT/10 looks better MOVING that it does static, like most have seen it.

Admittedly, the GTS looks like its movong while standing still !

I envy our youthful members, but only mature adults may relate:

"The love of my life is NOT the prettiest girl I ever dated."

JonB~~~~:<~ [ B for Believer ]

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey, if girls like the car, wouldn't any guy driving it (except maybe me) become a babe magnet, sorta? Sounds like a good thing to me.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:
Re-read Ken's bit. It praises 25+ Gen 1-2 Vipers. He was skeptical, as were many of us. He LOVES Vipers and drove a 550HP GTS this day, that he built.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, youre right Jon, Ken did say 25 Real Vipers and one '03 imposter .

My reply may have come off a little harsher than I intended.
I was mostly trying to be sarcastic not mean, but after working 12 hours a day seven days a week for the last two and a half weeks I think I've gotten crabby (and tired).

I apologize to Ken or anyone who was offended.

I'm just tired of all the hype about how inferior the current Vipers will be once the 2003'***** the street (or the track).

All I can say is bring em on, I'm alway ready to race!
supergrin.gif
BURNOUT.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

TUESDAY--&lt;BR&gt;Reliable Transport unloads this red car at Timberline Dodge.....JonB: (for the first time in the fifteen years that I've known him) very quiet

BUMP For 2003 Evaluation; NOTE 2002 THREAD DATE !!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeh, but you were wrong. It is a cup holder and I have used it as such many times. With the trim ring instaled it holds a can perfectly.

And I can attest for girls liking it. But which would you rather have salivating over your car? A bunch of guys or girls.

Jon, on one of the other threads you mentioned the viscous diff. Are you still of that opinion? I ask as most I know who track it are unimpressed with the torque transfer transition while in a corner. At some point I know I will be upgrading the diff to eliminate the inside wheel spin then dramatic torque transfer to the outside wheel. It has caused me to see from where I came a few times.

wbexxon

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Passed up a few GTS vipers for the SRT-10, cant buy a new GTS I guess to each their own..SRT looks better IMO.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Or maybe the GTS is cooler if you have a picture of yourself in front of it with your arms crossed like a tough guy.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score

O.K. I'll bite........Having driven a GTS and An SRT, I have noticed the following.......More people catch the GTS out of the corner of thier eye (turns more heads). . However the SRT Freaks out more people (Rock Star treatment)than the GTS.....Added bonus....Chicks go Crazy for this car............Your results may vary........

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have had all 3 Generations, and it took me 2 years to warm up to the SRT. I still have a red/silver GTS, and recently bought an 05 Commemorative Edition SRT white/blue. Virtually everyone who has been around all 3 of my Vipers picks the SRT as the best looking, and when I have the GTS and SRT at shows, etc the SRT gets the most attention (stripes help, but GTS has them too)

I love my GTS, but the SRT drives better, sounds better, and yes, in many respects looks better (even if the hood opens the wrong way!) GTS guys, get over it.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

who resurects a thread 3 years old?

Besides, anyone that slams ( I Used to) a GenIII really has no clue and has 1 dimensional mind... I think we all agree the looks aren't as outragious. Is it UGLY? **** no. Now an Aztec, C4 Corvette, Gremlin, now that's ugly.. ;)

It makes my GTS ride like a $100 Go Kart. My GenIII rides like a GTS should have... LOL!!

Gerald

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was just wondering why this thread was brought back to life also. Talk about doing some digging.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Met some friends from Brazil over at Doug Levin's shop and needless to say, we both gave them a couple of joy, need to change your underwear, rides. I drove Doug's '05 Silver SRT with a Stage 1 package, putting out over 700hp. Doug took out a 980hp GTS on a test ride.

For those of you who have never driven a supercharged car, you have NO idea what you're missing. Just think about the first time you drove the Viper. Yes all that power, but now you're used to it. Time to drop the 25# dumb bells; let's go for the 50# ones! Almost double the power, but twice the joy. Oh, I still don't know how to put it in words. Really.

We can debate the looks of Gen 1,2,3 Vipers from now till Armegetton, but the truth is spoken by those who have both, or all 3! The SRTs are an amazing engineered car. Brakes, handling, egonomics. And I for one will certaily always appreciate that part of Gen 1&amp;2 Vipers and it's history.

But when it comes time to get on the track............I'll take my scalpel instead of my machete. Both will do the the job, but 1 will do a better. (for what I want) Which looks more intimidating? Yes, maybe the latter, but when the results count, I'll be packin' my first choice.

My humble .02

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ivan, couldnt agree more.. It's 4unny as hell.... When I drive my '05 around 4 a couple days and then I get in my 98 it 4eels like it's the 1st time all over again. SO DAMN 4AST (at least 4 me) (over 800rwhp now) I can't imagine those 1000rwhp vipers... SIIIIIICK

G

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like the SRT. Their is a really nice one with an autoform top that is around in Orange County.

But Cmon folks their is a guy by the Name of Gary Javo
that I believe has a pretty damn nice GTS!!!!!!

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Met some friends from Brazil over at Doug Levin's shop and needless to say, we both gave them a couple of joy, need to change your underwear, rides. I drove Doug's '05 Silver SRT with a Stage 1 package, putting out over 700hp. Doug took out a 980hp GTS on a test ride.

For those of you who have never driven a supercharged car, you have NO idea what you're missing. Just think about the first time you drove the Viper. Yes all that power, but now you're used to it. Time to drop the 25# dumb bells; let's go for the 50# ones! Almost double the power, but twice the joy. Oh, I still don't know how to put it in words. Really.

We can debate the looks of Gen 1,2,3 Vipers from now till Armegetton, but the truth is spoken by those who have both, or all 3! The SRTs are an amazing engineered car. Brakes, handling, egonomics. And I for one will certaily always appreciate that part of Gen 1&amp;2 Vipers and it's history.

But when it comes time to get on the track............I'll take my scalpel instead of my machete. Both will do the the job, but 1 will do a better. (for what I want) Which looks more intimidating? Yes, maybe the latter, but when the results count, I'll be packin' my first choice.

My humble .02
Ivan, It doesn't surprise me that the SRT would rein as a clear winner. And a DLM sc to boot!!!! I think we're all stuck on GTS ethics, but the SRT is a creation of evolution. And to think how appealing the Gen I's were when we first took delivery!

Cheers,
Chuck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave