SRT-10 Coming to Australia!!!!!!!!!!

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Phil,

I am moving to New Zealand in out 10 months and have a SRT-10 on order. Hoping to get it before I leave! I need to have it changed to rightside driving and wondered if you could recommend a shop in New Zealand or Australia. I know that freight between NZ and Aust. is pretty reasonable so I don't mind shipping it back and forth. However, it might be cheaper for me to sell my SRT-10 here in the states before I leave and just buy one of the 25 cars that are slotted for Australia. Can you give me more info. on who would be importing those Vipers and whether there will be any available for purchase. Also are you sure about the price. My estimated costs for My SRT-10 landed and changed to righthand side driving would be as follows:
SRT-10 US$ 85,000
VA taxes,title & tags US$ 4,000
Shipping to NZ US$ 3,500
Duty Tax for NZ US$ 5,000
(Caculated that car would be 6 months old-less
than 6 months -duty tax increases by $1500)
Shipping NZ-AUST-NZ
for Conversion US$ 1,500
Estimate for
Conversion US$ 15,000
Buffer Amount for
Unknowns US$ 5,000
Total: US$119,000 ( with no profit)
I think I would buy one of the 25 in Australia and not go thru the aggravation to import one of my own. Please tell me what you think.

MichaelThurston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering how gorgeous Sydney is and that the Northern Territory has no speed limits I'm thinking you have it pretty good down under. Of course, at full throttle a Viper would have trouble making it to the next petrol station in the outback, the only drawback I can see to bringing a Viper out there...

THUNDER DOWN UNDER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guy's

there seems to be some confusion
confused.gif
The Dodge Viper that was launched at the Sydney motor show was a 2002 Model not an SRT/10. Only 25 vehicles were brought into the country and will be refinished/converted by our company VIPERFORMANCE also known as THE 911 FACTORY. These cars will be sold through Chrysler's 5 star Dealers. 4 of these vehicles will be shipped to New Zealand after conversion. For more information go to www.chryslerviper.com.au

Cheer's

Jennifer

VIPERFORMANCE
THE911FACTORY
ph:03 9 7298911
Email: [email protected]

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SPINFX says:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Apparently there will also be 25 SRT-10 converted to right hand drive ... They will be $250,000 AUS.
That converts to about $125,000 US... $250,000 AUS is more than the average house price here.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Housing sounds cheap to me. What are you other living expenses like? This could be a nice place to retire- not as cheap as Mexico, but the blue water sailing is much better.

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil.. spoke to the viper salesman at the dealer in Melbourne.. tallish guy with short dark hair.. seemed to think they are going to bring out SRTs, but all I can find apart from that is that they "plan" and "hope" to be able to. If the Gen2s don't sell...

Ken.. probably a LOT of hassle. I don't think anyone has looked into the SRT yet. Someone (hint: Viperformance ARE the Gen2 converters: I believe the ONLY Gen2 converters licenced to do it?) will need to add that model to their list of cars they are able to convert. They might be able to give you a bit better guess on how much that would cost, but if you are first, I would suggest - A LOT. Then you gotta check what the rules are importing a car from Oz to NZ that had a low volume compliance plate on it, not a full volume.. do NZ have a problem with that? Bringing a Gen 2 would be much easier and more economical I would think ?? If you are bringing a car through Oz to NZ, the taxes are steep coming in here, but maybe you could get them back on leaving? By steep, I mean 26.5% on the first USD 26k, then over 50% on the rest.

In the end, it's gotta be worth it though. Hey - it's a Viper.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
G' Day Auusie friends down under...question...what is income tax there these days? I recall it being very steep. I visited both coasts in the mid-late 1980s (gotta love Perth...) on US Navy port calls/official business.

Made many friends, but sadly lost touch. Occasionally we'll have an Aussie visitor at my shop (I sell some Mopar musclecars/parts), and they'll buy a late '60s B Body, stuff it (oops...maybe wrong term there...you know what I mean) full of Mopar parts, and ship it home.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4