Loose Emergency Brake

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The emergency brake on my '94 RT/10 seems to pull up too easily at times. The car will actually begin to roll with the break pulled up if I do not put it in 1st gear. At other times the emergency break feels stiff and seems to provide adequate results. Two questions... 1. What could be the problem? and 2. How much should I expect to pay to have it fixed? Thanks.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I was the only one with this problem. Mine does the same thing, usually when my foot is on the brake pedal. If I release it and re-pull it, it will then set for me, but I know this cannot be right. Steve

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Before I reply, please know that I have used my E-brake for parking only about 5 times in over 70K miles of Viper ownership. This problem is likely only encountered by 'habitual' E-brake users.

I DO use it to adjust the rear brakes, however !?!?!

Each time you apply the E-brake, the cable automatically adjusts the rear brake pistons/pads a teensy-tinsy bit closer to the rotors, down to a pre-set limit. I have actully convinced myself that increased rear brake bias has been achieved (especially on worn pads) just by setting the COLD brake 8-10 times before track events. (Could be a placebo ...but I THINK it works! Don't tell the competition.}

A clock-spring like automatic take-up adjuster is inside the console. I dont think a take-up adjustment can be made inside the console itself, but I don't have a service manual open. An allen wrench (7/32) can RELEASE that spring for removal and replacement. That spring can also unwind! I "assume" it can be tightened and certainly replaced.

JonB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper