2001 Oil Capacity

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put my 500th mile on my 2001 GTS today and changed the oil.
I checked the owners manual for capacity and it said 10 quarts.
My buddy has a 1999 and his capacity is 8.5. Why does mine
take an additional 1.5 quarts. He is already fuming that mine
has ABS and idles a lot smoother. We are both wondering where the extra oil goes and why Dodge dit it. It looks like the oil pan is a little wider. I keep telling him to wait until 2003 before getting mad about how obsolete his car is but that is easy for me to say. Or did I put 1.5 quarts too much?

Reaction score
Your friend will be absolutely steaming when you tell him that Dodge added the additional 1.5 qts in 2000 to help solve the oil starvation problem earlier Gen-II cars had when used in extended high-G cornering. Don't worry, you've put the correct amount of oil in.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">10mm deeper pan - $529 upgrade from PartsRack (you're welcome Jon) includes enhanced windage tray and reuseable oil pan gasket. Fits all GEN II engines ('96 GTS on up, '97 RT/10 on up). Came from the factory on all 2000's & 2001's.

Just got mine yesterday.</FONT f>

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not only does it hold more, it FLOWS MORE during High-G turns and launchs! Very important if you want a 100K mile motor.

Thanks, Ron ! This is "Da Fix" at $529 for 1996.5 - 1999 Vipers, including (and especially) the 1996-7s, and even (especially?) the 1999 ACR.

If you REALLY want to "get oily" add the ACR Oil Filter adapter to your 1996-2001 Viper, and increase idle oil pressure, as well as ensure 100% realtime oil cooling. Only $229

Incidentally, all of the above are direct bolt-on Dodge upgrades that will not void your warranty. Just extend engine life!

JonB

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Jon,

Does the ACR oil filter adapter increase idle oil pressure itself or is there something else one needs to do, for example a stronger bypass spring in the oil pump? </FONT f>

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Oil temp is an obvoius concern. [The 4th guage in the vertical stack of the 2003 Viper IP is OIL TEMP!]

The simplicity of the ACR oil-filter adapter (the gizmo the oil filter screws onto) is that is does NOT have a mechanical "shuttle valve" that cuts off oil flow to the oil cooler! An ACR adapter routes oil to the oil cooler full time. (So a weaker spring in an OE adapter would be needed to allow some additional oil cooling.)

JonB

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456