Warranties on used Vipers??

Reaction score
As I understand, If I buy a used Viper from a Dodge dealer, I can purchase a 4 years warranty with it for about 1500-2200$

Now.... If I deside to buy a Viper from a NON-Dodge dealer/used car dealership, what are my options???

Or from a private party?

Can I purchase any type of warranty with these cars?

I am looking at 1993...1995 R/T 10's, with around 10K to 25K miles.
All information is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Lauri V.
Dallas, TX

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi - you can purchase an extended warranty from a Dodge Dealer, so long as theoriginal factory warranty is still in effect.
I may be wrong, but I do ont believe you can purchase an extended warranty once the factory item has expired- others on the site may be able to help on this point.

I suggest you talk to a dealer
I paid approximately $1,100 so I think your numbers are a bit high.

If the Vehicle you purchase has been modified this can void parts or all of the extended warranty.

Where you purchase the car is not relevant.

The model years you are considering also mean you will not be able to get warranty coverage - but again, I suggets you get confirmation from a dealer.
If there is a Viper Club in your area - go to a meeting - you will find these folks to be most helpful and you may find a car or two for sale.
good luck

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 94 RT/10 in Dec 99 with aprox 16k miles on it from a private party.
A few months later a bought a Chrysler "Added Care Plus" extended warranty from Erica at Fitzgerald Motors.
There are some guidelines they have to follow regarding miles and so on.I would recommend getting only a genuine Chrysler warranty, there are a lot of seedy ext. warranty companies out there.
Call Erica, she took good care of me. I think the number there is 1 800 15-VIPER or 1 800 VIPER-15, they advertise here on the Viper board.
Cheers,

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which costs less, replacing a head gasket or a warranty? I'm not really serious but I may have to replace the head gasket on mine and was wondering if that would have been covered if I had purchased the warranty, if it was available for a '94.

Greg W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would buy only a Chrysler warranty, but I think they cover cars up to 6 years old and newer. They may be flexible however.

One headgasket replacement can run over $2K, they tell me.

Greg W

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the warranty from Erica at Fitzgerald's...I called about it a while ago and I wasn't impresses so I let it fall by the wayside. First, it was $1,800 for four years. Then, there was a $500 deductible each time the warranty work would be done. Also, I was curious about these warranties since there were NO inspections done at the point of sale. So if you had leaking head gaskets and bought a warranty to get the job done under your new warranty...you're still screwed. How? She explained that since the owner could do just that, many claims probably wouldn't be honored within the first few months at least because of the ability of people to buy a warranty when in fact their Viper is already dead before they bought the warranty. Follow me? Technically that 4 year warranty has just turned into a 3 year warranty...

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lauri,

Nice to see you asking these questions to the experts. I just wanted to add to our phone conversation and add that I agree with Scott regarding the type of warranty to look for. Also, I paid $1500 for a 4 year warranty with $200 ded. This depends upon the year and milage of the car and I was informed that you could not purchase a warranty if the car had over 40,000 miles, which will not be an issue with what you are looking for. Let me know if I can help.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please do not take this as fact, but I think there are a few things you may want to be careful of if you want an extended warranty.

I believe that in order to get a Chrysler extended warranty, the Viper can only have 2 registered owners. If 3 people have titled the Viper you may be out of luck. This was a big problem with early cars. Dealerships would put a false name on the Viper order, then sell it, and that person would turn around and sell it, and the third owner all of a sudden had no coverage.

To be safe, you should get the VIN # of any Viper you want to purchase, and then call one of the reputable Viper Dealers. They can run the VIN and let you know what options you have.

I do know that there are alternate warranty plans. I think Roanoke has something that covers multiple owner Viper's. But you would need to call them direct. Woodhouse and Fitzgerald also write a lot of this coverage.

Don't mean to leave anyone out, I just know that these places do a good job with this. Good Luck!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
Please do not take this as fact, but I think there are a few things you may want to be careful of if you want an extended warranty. I believe that in order to get a Chrysler extended warranty, the Viper can only have 2 registered owners. If 3 people have titled the Viper you may be out of luck. This was a big problem with early cars. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was a fact for early cars (pre-95?) but not later cars. You said you are 'looking for 93-95'. And, it only pertains to the OEM factory warranty coverage not transferring on early cars. The rules changed in 95, maybe 94?)

Many after-market (non-D-C) warranties are likley available. Some are probably worthless. Some are probably fair-good.

Erica at Fitzgerald, 1-800-Viper-15 indeed helped "pioneer" exceptions for D-C warranties outside the normal rules. But as warranty-pricer (?!?!) FRANK stated, a few owners jeopardized the program by taking advantage of buying a warrantee, and then having OBVIOUS "pre-existing conditions" attempted under warranty. The exceptions Erica negotiated may still be in place...maybe not. But Low mile, well-documented maintenance cars might be eligible!

Good luck in your Viper Quest !

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

If the warranty was reasonable...like $1,000 for 4 full years covering parts and labor with NO deductible, it would have been worth it in my eyes, even considering the fact that I could take the whole car apart and put it back together myself.

But $2,000 and a $500 deductible, in my opinion is astronomical...actually it is insane unless you do not own a wrench or two - but we all know how many people around here own wrenches etc.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$2,000 for plan and $500 deductible. One engine takes care of that. It is just a matter of how big of an unexpected cost you can incur.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several months ago, I checked out the used car warranty situation with several dealers. What I learned was that the warranty policy changed within the last year or so. As I understand it:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>You can buy a Chrysler used car warranty only at time of purchase from a Dodge dealer. This warranty differs from a new car extended warranty, which can be purchased anytime as long as the car is still under its original 3/36 warranty. There is an additional charge if purchased after 24 months.
<LI>A new car warranty can be transfered once to the 2nd owner, providing the time and mileage limits have not been exceeded. When the 2nd owner sells the car, the warranty cannot be transferred.
<LI>If you buy a used Viper from an individual and not a Dodge dealer, you cannot purchase a warranty from Chrysler. (This is the change from previous years.) If, however, the previously owned car is still under a new car extended warranty and the current owner is the warranty purchaser, it can be transferred once.
<LI>I'm not sure about transfering a used car warranty.
<LI>I'm also not sure if you can purchase a Chrylser warranty if you buy the car from a non-Chrysler dealer.
[/list]

I was the original owner of a 97 GTS. At the time of purchase I purchased an extended Chrysler warranty. I was approaching the mileage limit of the extended warranty, and I was curious to see what options I had to keep the car covered. The bottom line was I had no options. I could not extend my existing warranty, nor could I cancel the existing warranty and buy another longer one. Nor could I buy a used car warranty after the new car extended warranty expired. I could sell the car to someone else and transfer the remainder of the warranty to him. However, if he sold the car, he could not transfer the warranty to the next purchaser, even if the time and mileage limits had not been exceeded.

Hopefully Bill Pemberton or another knowledgable source will confirm or correct what I've presented here.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We need Erica from Fitzgarald to chime in on this one.
We are getting very conflicting answers to the same question.
Like I posted earlier, I bought a 94 RT/10 in Dec. 99, it had aprox. 16k miles, I think I am about the 3rd or 4th owner of this car. I was able to buy a Chrysler warranty from Erica (200 deduct/ 4yrs) with no problem.
Erica or Bill P. set us straight.
:)
Cheers,

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My opinion is Buy the extended warranty, it's worth the money in the long run especially if you're planning on keeping the car for a long time. Even if you do sell the car it's a plus to the buyer.

When I bought my Viper in Oct. 99 the previous owner had purchased an extended warranty (Added Care Plus, $50 deductible) and there was a $50 fee to transfer it. My warranty paperwork that I recieved after the transfer has a form to transfer it to the next owner if I sold the car. The dealer has done about $6000 of warranty work on the car and all it's cost me is $100.
That doesn't even count them warrantying the side sills.

A friend of mine (Greg Knobbe) bought his 96 RT/10 with 30K miles on it in October 2000. The car has had at least 3 previous owners and he bought the DC Used Car warranty for $1,500 and it has a $200 deductible. I believe it's for 48K miles. Since then he had to have the fuel pump replace, the total bill was a little over $900 (all he had to pay was the $200 deductible).

We bought my wife a 97 Caravan (21K miles) in 99 from a private individual and what I was told by the dealer was on a used vehicle the extended warranty had to be purchased within 1 month of the vehicle purchase date. We decided to skip the extended warranty on it since we don't seem to keep our daily drivers very long.

It's cheap insurance in the long run.
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth