Tire Worries...

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cleaning my '00 GTS yesterday, I noticed a crack or split on the sidewall of the right rear.
You must be registered for see images
The car was built Sept. 9th and I have had it two months today, with 1600 miles. The split is about 3/4" long and hairline; it does not appear to go to the cord, but I was wondering if anyone else had something like this, or had experienced a high speed blow out. I will talk to a tire shop and my Dodge dealer today to check warranty's. Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks...

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
There was a Viper with Pilot Sport high speed blowout during Silver State but Michelin said was an under-inflation pressure issue for the speed driven. For sure, get it checked out. Road/crash debris can end up on the curb side of the right lane and cut the sidewall.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigsViper:
but I was wondering if anyone else had something like this, or had experienced a high speed blow out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OP
OP
B

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to bump this back up because I talked to the guy that owns the #1 Michelin store here and he was no help (I'll buy my tires from JonB and Partsrack, thank you, but where to mount?) He said I need to talk to a Michelin Rep. and gave me the customer service number in Dallas, but I'm wondering, since Michelin has aligned themselves with the Viper, if anyone knew someone on the team that might A) Know what they are talking about and B) might be able to do something about it.

I will try and post a pic tomorrow; many will think I'm nuts for being so concerned about such a little mark but I plan on getting some track time this summer, and... You Know. Marv, thanks for the reply, I was surprised I got so little response.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Keep that tire for analysis...talk with Jon B at Parts Rack, and/or call Luke Pavlick at TireRack ( Luke can also give you a list of approved shops in your area to mount tire ).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would NOT worry too much about a 3/4 inch sidewall 'hairline' that is only superficial deep, not going to cord.

(I would NOT run it in a 90-mile open road race, but neither would I choose NEW Pilot Sports for that!)

But since the car is so young, check out the tire-warrantee pamphlet in your owners manual. I did talk to an owner THIS WEEK who claimed that his dealer got him a warranty replacement on EXACTLY such a complaint. In this particular case, the Michelin dealer was across the street from the Dodge dealer!

Your ZONE (and your local dealer!) should know who the local Michelin warrantee fulfillment options are.

And.....call your local SCCA region and get their recommendation of good shops for Race Car tires! The shop you decide on should have the Hunter (9600-9700 ?) balancer. And even then, ask them if they have experience w/ 13" wide rims. Therein lies the experience gap.....above 12" !!!

JonB

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62