How much would the dealership charge to change head gasket in a 1994 rt/10?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Any estimates? What headgasket should I go with? Is this something I should try to do myself? I'm not an expert mechanic, but know my way around pretty good.
thanks!

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put it this way, you are looking at about a $1,000 job. Considering shop labor is at least $70.00 per hour, and it is an all day job (8 hour job), you are looking at say $600.00. Many mechanics haven't worked on a Viper before, so they won't be able to beat the time too badly. Figure on coolant flush and fill at over $100.00 since the Viper uses more antifreeze than the normal car. Figure $100.00 for gaskets. Figure another $75 for a recommended oil change too. You are somewhere in the neighborhood. I'd just figure a grand to be on the safe side. I hear that Mopar head gaskets are on backorder too...that ***** big time, especially if you need them!!

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FRANK:
Figure $100.00 for gaskets.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey ab,
If you can get a Viper V10 top end gasket kit for a $100, order a set for me too! I'm right behind you with my '94.
(Frank, don't take that too seriously. I "wish" the price was that low)

Ab,try to get an engine oil anaysis done before you pull the heads. We did one yesterday on mine and fortunately the report came back with only trace elements of water and antifreeze. If it had shown more, the bearings might need to be replaced also as anifreeze scores babbit in bearings. The oil analysis will show the condition of the bearings, rings etc.

Good luck,

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,

Those numbers were estimates my friend. Personally 2 head gaskets should run you any more than that. Then you need your intake gaskets too and valve cover gaskets as well. If ALL of those gaskets cost $200, I'd be surprised. The total job is in the $1,000 range no matter how you figure it.

Anyway, those oil analyses are, in my mind, overkill. Drain your oil...if there is like a quart of antifreeze in your oil then I'd be concerned. If you don't see any antifreeze in your oil you have nothing to worry about.

Do you know how many cars blow head gaskets and spew antifreeze into the motor and never have bearing problems? You'd have to drive the car with antifreeze in the motor for it to create problems. Antifreeze scores babbitt material on bearings? Maybe if you had a gallon of antifreeze in your oil! If it ain't knocking you have nothing to worry about. Save your money and forget the analysis - unless you are rich and wanna throw money away...if you don't have a considerable amount in your oil...none visable then you're fine!

Another case of a Viper owner suffering from paranoia...

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your prices at the dealer. The prices on the parts are more than you think. I would charge you 10 hrs. labor providing the car doesn't have headers. If you have a doubt, don't do it yourself.dj

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith,

Not for anything...I cannot believe that head gaskets are $500 for two. Sorry...I will call the local dealer and find out exactly how much they are this week. If you are correct and I am wrong, I apologize in advance. Between your tech fouling up your car and those prices for head gaskets, it sounds to me like you might want to find another dealership...just the vibe that I am getting.

What exactly was the excuse that they gave you on why it began to leak again? Curious about that. Now what are they going to do with your motor and the leak?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Headgaskets for 92-96 Gen-1 are on national backorder, w/ 45 sets already backordered as of 1/6/01.

PartsRack could have saved you several hundred $$ on gaskets! More like FRANKS's price than your mentioned price.

JonB~~~:&lt;~

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the head gaskets are $500 for a set of two...those gaskets can be on backorder forever as far as I am concerned. Personally, I'd take off the ones on the car and visit some gasket manufacturing places and see what they could do. I am sure that a gasket maunfacturing place could make an improved one for roughly the same price...

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well just called my local Dodge dealer...head gaskets are $140 for both...there is however, a top end gasket kit that sells for just under $500 which includes all gaskets from the heads gaskets up. Keith, I don't know if there is some misunderstanding here, but my dealer has the top end kit which includes the intake gaskets in with the kit. I think maybe your dealer may have charged you extra for the intake gaskets...

As far as the backordered kits...there is no hope in sight! My parts manager told me that Dodge hasn't even contacted their gasket company to start making the head gaskets as of yet. He seems to think that Dodge may wait until there is a certain number ordered until they will contact their gasket supplier to start making them. Pretty pathetic...

So what is everyone going to do now that it may be another few months before head gaskets come in???????