insurance coverage at Viper days events

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm assuming most Insurance companies will cover us
if we are Students,not racing for trophies,and
events are not timed? Is that a fair assumption???

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when signing in, just make sure that you sign in as "student"

Roger Morgan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Wayne, Why worry, if you are always in front-no problem.
Come on out to Willow Springs even if you don't drive the BV. Its more fun than you can guess. Lots of people you know. You don't have to drive in a straight line. You get to drive it like it was made to be driven. Its safe. Its fun. Its fun. You get to drive at speed for more than 30 min. (Silver State) and you don't need a radar detector like usual.
Come on out and play
See Ya
Roger

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Insurance paid for a crash I saw a year ago at a BMW track event.

The M3 was a daily driver with extensive suspension mods and came to the track with full race tires. Got loose and hit a wall head on. MAJOR damage. FULLY covered by insurance. There was an instructor in the car with the driver, they were not being formally timed, and there were no prizes or trophies.

I was there and they are good friends of mine. It's back on the road and track today.

One thing that makes Viper Days driving school great is the automatic timing and printout you can get to see your own progress. The medals and/or acrylic trophies aren't too bad either. BUT, BMW schools don't allow timing of any kind.

(The funniest thing was when the CA. BMW driver at Viper Days drew a STOPWATCH as a door prize! No name mentioned)

Of course it's Best to check with your own insurance company and their policy on driving school coverage.

Does any insurance cover a crash at Silver State when you're in something like 150+ class?

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on January 06, 2001 at 11:23</font>

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also am in the insurance business, and I have to disagree with the statement that no insurance will cover a track event.

Everything is based on the language of your particular policy. We have found that in many cases, the insured has coverage for "professional driving schools". When the insured is at a school, and they have an instructor in the car with them, generally the car, the student and the car are covered.

I know of quite a few VCA members who have had mishaps at the track, and in turn were reimbursed by their insurance company. In one particular case, a member was at a school at Road America, and wound up on top of the wall. He did something like $35,000 in damage. Since he had an instructor in the car, the coverage applied.

Lets just hope that no one has to use this type of coverage.

Steven J. Ferguson
Former National VCA President
& employed by National Accident Insurance Underwriters.

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last track day at Road Atlanta, a guy in a 993 told me he had purchased "track day" insurance from Conseco (spelling?). He told me he paid something like $350-400 for the weekend.

Expensive, but it might be worth it...

FYI
Roy

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FL Johnny is incorrect. I had an accident at Laguna Seca and totaled my car. It was not a race. No timed laps or 1, 2 or 3 prizes. Just track time.

My car was fully covered on the track. The insurance company paid off and I purchased a new Viper.

They did however decide not to insure Vipers after my accident. They did not have an exclusion on my policy that said I could not be on a track.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke with my insurance agent (Allstate) last week about this very thing.
Bottom line the car would be covered but if a major accident occurs expect to be dropped.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper