Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF - Anyone tried it? Experiences?

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The label states that it meets Dexron III requirements. My questions are:

1) Lubrication effectiveness?

2) NGR impact?

Thanks .....

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was told not to use it. I think Mobil one said that it would not work with the brass syncro's. I use mobil one for the engine and that's about it. I use the castrol syntorque for my tranny. The dealership has it for heavy gear lube.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings Joe! When I had my '96 & '94 I switched them to the newer Mopar fluid (same as the Syntorque metioned above). I understand that this newer fluid is what has been factory installed since 98 or 99. I too heard the brass syncro story listed above. Anyhow, I think your car should already have the right stuff. In my cars, it really didn't eliminate the NGR, it just reduced it a bit.

OP
OP
A

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Waiting - The Owner's Manual states that Dexron III should be used in the transmission, hence the relevancy of my question.

I'm not inclined to tempt fate here so Castrol Syntorque it will be.

I also couldn't find 75W-140 axle fluid and settled for 85W-140. The latter is synthetic and conforms to API GL-5 standards as required so it's simply the viscosity difference I'm concerned about.

Thanks for your collective input .........

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe
I think you will find that the GL-5 rating isn't the same and isn't better than the GL-4 rating. If my memory serves me correctly the GL-5 fluid is the fluid that is suggested for rear ends and transmissions that don't have brass syncros (large trucks) .. Go with one of the part numbers above for the Syntorq. I found it to be cheaper at the GM dealer and more of them stocked it.

Charlie

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the '98 manuel it says to use Dexron III for the transmission, but in '98.5 it was changed to Castrol Syntorque. Castrol Syntorque is also packaged under the Mopar and GM label. The Mopar # is 4874459 and the GM # is 12346190. Also, Mopar's 75W140 synthetic gear and axel lube is part # 04874469.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
caution ... caution

power steering fluid and ATF are not the same. PSF has more anti-wear additive because of the higher pump pressures. You need the PSF to protect the vane pump in the power steering system.