oil drip under engine - hmm, why?

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at a '99 rt/10 (4800 miles) to purchase. I asked to hear the car run (I'll go back for a test ride), so he backed it up to get the tailpipes out of the garage. Upon reversing, a handfull of oil drops were revealed on the floor. The floor was clean except for these drops. When he came to the front, he noticed before I did. He said he didn't know what that was from, but he'd take it in & make sure all was OK.

I'm wondering whether I should be concerned, whether the dealer says it's OK or not. I tend to take things like that as a bad omen, but maybe this isn't unusual or a big concern for someone familiar with these snakes.

Thought I'd look for input here, idea's, opinions?

Thanks,

dave.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably a simple case of "oil puke" from the drains in the bottom of the air filter box. Happens all the time.....

It would be wise to get it onto a 4-post lift and look up underneath just to be sure.

OP
OP
D

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car does transfer with a 5yr/75K mile warranty.

The drips were in about a 6-8 inch scatter pattern at what I recall would be the very front of the engine, maybe 4 or 5 drips.

My first thought was a drip from the oil drain plug (I don't know where that is on a viper), on my other cars the drain plug tended to be on the front of the oil pan.

Thanks for the input, I'm trying not to bite my nails over it.

dave.

OP
OP
D

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an update.

I talked to the viper tech @ the dealer, he said the car had developed a small leak around a couple of the bolts on the oil pan. He said they sealed it, ran dye through the system for more leaks, it was clean, so they then did a service on it.

He said they checked the computer & performed state inspection, no signs of abuse & verified the warranty transfers.

Looks like I'm a go to join y'all.

Thanks so much for the input, it's been incredibly helpful.

Dave.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62