Anybody have the BTR full exhaust system???

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering taking advantage of Tom Welch's sale ($3,795) on the BTR full exhaust system. It is complete from headers to tips. I have a 2000 RT/10 in Calif. I am told it will pass the tip emmission test maybe not the visual (which is OK my smogger is a buddy). Does anybody have this system on their snake? Please let me know about any good or bad things. How is the exhaust drone at cruising? How is the performance? How is the sound? Any comments good or bad will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Ron (SoCal Rebell)

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I don't think a Viper with the cats removed will pass either a visual or emmission test in CA.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
I am considering taking advantage of Tom Welch's sale ($3,795) on the BTR full exhaust system. It is complete from headers to tips.. I am told it will pass the tip emmission test maybe not the visual (which is OK my smogger is a buddy).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you decide to go with this system, please post your results. I too live in CA and would like to know if Tom's system will pass. I'm guessing you'd at least leave the cats on if you went with this system because as Marv said, without them I don't think you'd have much of a chance.

-Matt

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KID,
As a matter of fact your information about the Belanger exhaust loosing low end torque is exactly opposite of the system's performance.

Dyno tests have repeatedly shown this system to generate over 30 ft/lbs more torque at rpms as low as 2800! The system is designed to provied max torque at 4400 rpm(avg. 50 ft/lbs over stock) and max HP at 5400 rpm,.... right where the factory designed the engine to operate. The Try-Y header was designed to produce more power and torque at lower rpms, and to the best of my knowledge(having recently attended a dyno event with 27 vipers with every exhaust system currently available on hand)there is no exhaust system that generates more low end torque and power

Please see dyno results of before and after installations at my website at btrviper.com(performance results page)

tom

"keep the lipstick off the dipstick"

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of visiting Tom in Ocala, Fl. over the Thanksgiving holiday. I rode in his viper with the Belanger headers and exhaust. Very nice sound - definetely not too loud and no resonance. I am considering his system also to put on my 2001 when it arrives. His NOS system with the propane seems to be a very sound system also. Might be on my list too!

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for the smog issue, what guys in SoCal that I know do is to have a flange installed in the pipe rear of the collector so that you can leave the cats off, then once every two years unbolt the flange and put the cats on for your smog inspection. Note, however, that before you rip your cats off for 10 extra hp that you will likely not feel, take a listen and a sniff of a car that is running without cats - loud rap and stink. But if you like it, cool (I don't have a problem with the incremental exhaust you are unleashing on the environment, though some may, when it will contribute about .000000000000000000000001% more to any perceived pollution problem).

The concern I have with the Belanger system is any sort of torque or hp loss or displacement that may occur low in the powerband. Since most of my driving and stoplight action is under 4000 rpm, I don't want a system that move peak power up at 4500, while robbing low end. Is this a legit worry about the Belanger setup?

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the BTR setup on my 96 rt/10......definitely a great setup....The low end torque definitely increased along with the horsepower. I opted to leave the cats in place...I had the cats flanged by our race team along with the exhaust in case I want to remove the cats...however I like the setup with the cats on...the car has an incredible sound when under throttle....yet it is not much louder when cruising...The setup is especially easy to install also....I highly recommend the setup...many of our NJ members also liked the setup on my car...Good Luck...