Question about rear muffler replacement

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about removing the rear muffler and replacing it with straight pipes - snake oyl or generic - question is, in removing the rear muffler, is it a clamp that needs to be removed, or does the muffler have to be cut off? Thanks.

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Snake Oyl fit is flawless and all of the stock clamps are already attached to the new unit for installation. Geoff Green

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Geoff is right on about the Snake-Oyl unit. It is Plug and Play. The important issue is the Stock Style clamp <FONT COLOR="Red">especially if</FONT c> you ever want to put the stock muffler back on. Snake-Oyl pipe has a factory style clamp, but If you use a "crush clamp
You must be registered for see images
" like some muffler shops will use, it will be much more of a challenge to put the stock muffler back on.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
No online catalog for Snake-Oyl (Collectors Choice) yet, but they have a new, big Viper printed catalog 608-849-9878

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to a local muffler shop and they removed the muffler and replaced it with straight pipes. Cost was around $300. No welding or cutting so I can go back to stock at any time.

Jeff

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went the Snake-Oyl route. Cost was about $530. Fits right, sounds right. Made of stainless steel right down to the polished tips. Tips stick out a bit further..this not only looks good, but keeps the back of teh car cleaner. Plus, if you decided to go back to stock, you will be able to return your old muffler with no trouble.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the muffler removed and straight pipes installed at my local muffler shop for $30. It took no more than a 1/2 hr.
Sound is much better!

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that is a deal! Where do you live that they will work for around a 1/2 hour and include materials and charge $30.. Did they also use stinless steel pipe so it does not begin to rust? Is it also a double wall material that goes through the rear fascia area, so it does not get the surrounding area too hot to blister the paint or turn it brown. Just some questions inquiring minds want to know, so we can compare a $30. job to $500. (materials only supply by Snake Oyl).

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We live in Northern Mi. At best we get a 5-6 month car season. I think I used the AC a half dozen times for the summer. The 2 18" pipes are not double walled. They are heavy duty aluminized steel tubing. The car was in 4-5 parades idling at 80-85 degrees with no blister or browning problems. I am not at all concerned about rust. The car never sees salt. I have another vehicle with a total custom exhaust(made of the same stuff)for the last 5 years/25K miles, and it has yet to have any rust. If they do rust 5 years or more down the road, I guess I'll just have to spring for another $30. BTW we put 7700 miles on with no problem this summer.