Recommend a replacement tire?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any recommendations on new tires for the 97 GTS. I heard recently that the OEM fronts 275/40ZR17 were discontinued. Any experience with the 285/40ZR17? What about the new Michelin Pilot Sport? Do they have good dry and wet ratings? Thanks.

Reaction score
I have no problem recommending the Michelin Pilot Sport. I use them on my 97 GTS. You can replace them with the stock size or if you wish, go a plus size on the fronts. I haven't found any bargain prices on these tires though, at least not like what was offered on the discontinued mxx3's. The new Sports are better in the rain and seem to wear better than its predecessor. For every day driving on the road, you can't beat em. Expect to pay about $300 per tire depending where you buy them. Check tirerack.com for further info.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dan Vargus at Parts Rack had 17" Michelin MXX3 a few months ago. Great price of $800 delivered. The fronts were 285 instead of the stock 275mm size. 1-877-475-1100

The 285 size on the front work fine.

Luke at Tire Rack, was selling a set for $831 delivered to AZ
800-428-8355 ext. 362
[email protected]

John Zisser at 800/869 8992 also had close out prices on the MXX3s

They may be all sold out, but it is still worth checking with them at those prices.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marv S:
ok Bill,
how about using MXX3s on the rear and 285 Pilot Sports on the front for track use?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Marv, the tires are not interchangeable, just get 285 MXX3's from Luke. Of course, since you are from Arizona, this could be a reference to the old "Tom Glenn" Mystery tire Racing Exercise - where Tom whips up on everyone else in the Super Stock class (Viper Days ) running Sports up front and MXX3's in back. Speedy Tom has since seen the error of his ways and is running MXX3's all around.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great info from all, but since you didn't mention where you are from, it may be important to purchase, depending on whether you are in a dry clime or a wet one. If you are in a dry area, call Luke at the Tire Rack and get the MXX3's ( 285's actually give you better steering response than the 275's, and I would order them regardless of the tire selected ), since they are priced very,very, low. If , on the other hand you are in a rainy area, spend the money on the Sports, as the MXX3's are lousy in the rain.

PS - If you plan on doing track time, the only option is to go with the MXX3's - call Luke.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
ok Bill,
how about using MXX3s on the rear and 285 Pilot Sports on the front for track use?