Viper places 3rd - cupholders a factor...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was perusing the Corvette board (Z06 specifically) as it is always interesting to see when our respective marquees are compared. They had posted a link to an article by Edmunds that compared three cars: Viper ACR, Corvette Z06, and Cobra R.

The winner? The Z06. The runner up? Cobra R. The loser? No need to mention it. Now, I was fascinated to see how this broke down, as the ACR is a pretty formidable car. So, what did I find? Well, there was the all important performance testing, where the Viper dominated. Indeed, the only category lost (out of six) was in braking - they used a 2000 ACR without ABS instead of the 2001. All other categories were clearly won by the ACR.

So where did the Viper get points deducted? The Viper scored third in the following categories:

Cupholders (yes, really a category)
Air Conditioning/Stereo Operation
Interior materials
Transmission performance (Cobra & Vette tied)
Braking
Seat comfort
Entry/Exit
Cargo loading
Storage space

The Viper won in "fun to drive", exterior design, and engine performance. Dang it, I thought for SURE that pretty much covered it!
You must be registered for see images
Anyway, I saw this and figured it might spark some interesting discussion. The Vette is awesome and the Cobra R is a pretty big leap for Ford, but the ACR is hard to beat as an American Exotic. See for yourself!

Chris

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, I just read that last nite online. I think it is kind of funny that the Viper won in all the categories they set out to win. Someone chose some criteria that really has no bearing in judging the Viper. Oh well, someone has to make all those other owners feel warm and fuzzy. hahaha

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
Is Edmunds a real "car" magazine or does it rate cupholders above performance? I have two cupholders when I get into a car, one on the left, and a mirror image one on the right! You know who will always be first in these things, Corvette, because there are sooo many more of them out there than anything else. If Edmunds had the cajones to call it the way it really is, they would loose a lot of Bowtie and Blue Oval readers, and they could not afford that. I guess the Z06 tranny is different than the C5, because isn't the C-5 6 speed unit and the Viper tranny about identical?
I hope to be going for a ride in a Z06 next week when we visit Rhode Island, will let you know my impressions when I get back. Already drove a Y2K (sorry Chris)C-5, and now I will be able to compare it to the Z06 and my '94 RT/10. I know the Z06 is a big improvement over the C-5 for out of the box performance, and it was intended to be. These magazines have to keep in mind how long the Vette has been around, they have had a much longer time to "refine" the car. I hope the Viper designers never forget why it was created and stay true to its beastly heritage. Viper and Vette, two different animals, both great American sportscars.

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To save yourself some nausea, skip the lame charts and cupholder stuff and just watch the videos- they are very entertaining and well done. The narration of the videos reveals that Edmunds agrees the Viper has the best performance and most "head turning" looks (but its "uncomfortable interior" and price of $40k over the Z06 drops it to third place)

Jim Peffers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
cupholders, CUPHOLDERS! - I don't need no **** cupholders! What the hells the matter with these people? ...geeez, I'm running out of patience. Sorry for the rant, its Monday morning and have not had nearly enough coffee yet.

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Furthermore..... anyone that says the stereo in the ZO6 sounds better than the Viper Stereo must be kidding. If you think the stereo in the Viper is bad, take a listen to the one in the ZO6. Not that stereo matters a whole lot to many of us but please, let's at least be honest.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What? You mean they forgot the most important categories for all-out performance vehicles:
Towing Capacity
Off Road Capability
Snow Taction
Ease of Tire Mounting
Roof Rack Availability
Bike Rack Mounting Ease

Of course my darned Viper wouldn't do very well in those categories either, umm, what a bummer. I'm finding the only thing this silly Viper is good for is outrageous performance and getting looks. What was I thinking, I should have checked Edmund's before I bought, "I could'a had a V8".

Oh yea, that's right, I wanted a car for outrageous performance and incredible looks .. nevermind.

Dave.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saramartin90