On Patience... and pictures of my "Project Viper"

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Patience... and pictures of my \"Project Viper\"

Many of you may have noticed I will spend a lot of time responding to questions concerning what it takes to rebuild a damaged car..... and also my rather silly signature on my posts. Well, there is a good reason for both. For more than two years, I've patiently been gathering the parts needed to "reincarnate" a '94 Viper that forgot which way was up.

The car originally belonged to Ron Kent, a former regional president, he sold it to a local broker, who became momentarily "orientation challenged".... not long after he put the car upside down. I purchased it and sent it off to Kentucky to have Mike Baugh get the right rear frame pulled back into shape and a lot of other miscellaneous things done. Mike did a great job fixing the damage done to the inner trunk from the frame moving and helped locate a lot of needed parts.

Right now, the car is next in line at Classics by Elite (home of DuPont Top Gun painter Ed Combs.... and the V-10 powered double Venoms for those of you who may not make the connection). I've seen Ed's paintwork, and have been looking forward to him performing the needed magic to turn the car from a heap to a jewel. Actually Ed has been tremendously patient with me. I'm a "pay as you go Viper owner".... so the car has been hanging around Ed's shop for more than a year as I found parts needed before he could lay on the paint. Things like a '99 hardtop, 97 RT/10 roll-up window doors and windshield surround, '96 inner doors, a '92 left rear fender, and '93 hood, a '00 RT/10 soft top, '98 GTS seats, '95 black dash, '95 rear end (to do a gear swap)..... the list is sort of never ending, and baffles even me as I go through my "receipts file". Most shops would have wanted the car out of their way, but not Ed..... a true "patience is a virtue" fellow.

Well, with Double Venom nearing completion, the "Project Viper" next into the shop, it is time to show y'all just how much magic poor Ed has to do over the next four (+/-) months, you'll see the project come to life, enjoy:

image2.jpg

The hood that came on the car was shot after the rollover, so I dug up a '93 hood that was put aside due to craze cracks. Since the plan is to carve up the hood for some louvres, a few craze cracks to repair was no biggie.

image3.jpg

You can see the roll-up window doors in factory primer, and the upper dash removed to ease cleanup of all the glass from the
windshield.

image4.jpg

Gross interior, eh
You must be registered for see images
This is why I bought so many new interior pieces, also had to get a lot of different parts to work with the roll-up window doors.

image1.jpg

Showing just how much work poor Ed has in front of him
I bought a set of used Purner street rims and am in the process of getting some Pilot Sports.... This should make it a lot easier for Ed to roll the car around his shop.

Many of you likely have wondered about my sanity, and maybe, way in the back of your minds though I might be a "half bubble off plumb". Well here's your proof.... but in about four months (+/-) we'll see who's riding around in a brilliant pearl blue
92-93-94-95-96-97-98-99-00 Viper

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: On Patience... and pictures of my \"Project Viper\"

Hi Jay:

The project looks great. Was it a real expensive endeavor, or did you have a good source for all of the parts? Thanks for the good feedback on Ed's shop. Are you building it for street use or are you building a track car? Are you doing anything to the engine, or did you replace that with a Gen 2? Keep us posted on how that baby comes out.

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, I do not know if it has been expensive (haven't had the heart to tally it all up)..... I would guess buy the time it's finally done I'll have in it what I could have bought an equivalent '94 . The difference is it will have many features of the later model RT's, like roll up windows, power mirrors, a black interior, a few unique body features, and not to mention, Ed's great paint job.

One reason it has taken so long is I have been buying parts when I find a good deal. This is where Ed's patience has come in.... he had to wait for me to find parts I could afford
As an example, it took more than nine months to find a hard top.

The only engine/drive train tweaks planned are minimal: smooth tubes, Northwind high flow foam filters, maybe a set af headers, a high flow exhaust, and a 3:45 rear end. The "heavyweight" engine was redone at Arrow not long before I bought the car, so other than maybe putting in the upgraded head gaskets, no plans there.

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hawaiian Punch:
Jay,

Hows the steering wheel.....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL..... much better now

This one is an inside Joke. I bought a steering wheel from Canada...... and it took almost three months because the banks would not cash the first "International Money Order" (that I go from Walmart). Funny thing is that the Canadian Walmart would not cash it either! So we had to start all over with a new US post office money order.

I have bought many of the parts for the car which were posted in the classifieds, and was nearly scammed by Mohammed Mohammed over a hard top.

Reaction score

Jay -
I bid more on the "plus four month side for completion"

Looks like a great project car with all the amenities one could ask for. When you think about it, even though yours is a '94, the '97 roadster was a rare so you would have to wait till '98 and up to get all the goodies. Patience is the "key" for not burning out your funds, sanity, and remaining a married man!

We call them "men's toys" but refer to them as "she." Is that because of the financial commitment?

Good Luck and let us all know what parts you are in need of,

Doug

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay,
looks like you got your work cut out for you but you like to tinker and thats a tinkerer for sure. Getting a rebuild from Arrow was a darn good thing. Cant beat Arrow. Keep us posted.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"ITS ALIVE" Well almost. So this is the mystery car I have heard about for all these years. Did you have the sills made by the guy we saw at Barrett Jackson last Jan.? If so send me pics as I may be next in line.
Four months.....

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did I ever mention I'm a patient optimist

Ed is pretty good, but even I realize four months is optimistic at this point, specially with all the additional overhead of the big Cobra event he is hosting in June (anyone who attends, stop in and say "hi" to my car).

Although you can't see it in the picture, there is a BIG pile of parts for Ed to work with (bought from the four corners of North America.... Tator Dodge, Fitzgerald, Dan Cragin, Woodhouse, Snake Oyl, Paul Sharf Automotive, Autoform, Borla, Viper Car Parts, Complete Custom Wheels and dozens of private parties..... the list is never ending). Before Ed paints her, he will be fabricating some custom sills and exhaust, like a Cobra race car that I saw on the cover of AutoWeek a few years back. The body panels are all "barely hanging on" as the first thing Ed will do is fit all the panels.... then they all come off again for paint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950