Customer Service...Is it too much to ask ??

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This is a tough one, and I'd like to talk to you about it. Please call me at 732-531-4600.

Yes, the customer is always right, but the other two projects that the techs were on WERE for customers as well, and most definitely, had deadlines as well. Not to side with the dealer (I don't even know who it was), but, what do you do in a situation like that? The smart thing would be to appologize for not having a tech available, inquire as to whether you would like to drop the car off and pick it up after the diagnostic and treatment of the prob, or set up an appointment to bring it in.

All our NJ VCA "recommended Viper oriented dealers" would have accomodated, but probably would have requested that you leave the vehicle. I'd like to recommend a few as I know you're in my area.

Please, please, please call me.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was BS.
Especially since you don't need a Viper Tech to plug into you computer.
As a matter of fact, you don't even need a Dodge dealer.
I have been very happy since 10 years with my local Jeep dealer and I only by parts for my Viper from them and they do have the correct diagnostic/computer equipment.
The Viper is a VERY simple car when it come to mechanical and electic/electronic.

I agree with Roy that except for a few dealers,service is very,very bad.
You should by a service manual because, if i am not mistaking,the Viper like most other car have a self-diagnostic mode through the "check engine" light.
Luc.

VardaMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't waste anymore of your time with this dealer. Write it off!
There are many very poor "Five Star Dealers" out there. The DC rating is worthless. Keep trying others until you find one that is programed correctly with GOOD Viper Techs.
Good luck, VardaMan.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have other DC products I would call the GM and let him know how much business he just lost since you won't be coming back in since they don't seem to have time for you.I always look forward to new viper customers and my service advisors know this.As far as them not getting paid the engine lite is on for a reason and there is a labor operation to cover something.I would rather lose 10mins and gain a customer then worry about the 10 mins i lost.Tom

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man,
I must be very lucky to have a small town C/P dealer who just happens to have a Viper tech on duty. I did not buy the car there, they don't even sell Vipers, but they always treat me right. I don't think there is another Dodge dealer who has a Viper tech within 100 miles of here that I hear good things about. Autoform isn't that far away, but I don't think they do warranty work. It doesn't hurt to also be friends with the owner. He is a Mopar nut, and attends all the Mopar shows, that's how I got to know him. Way before I bought the Viper. Expecting good service whether you bought the car there or not, especially from a 5 star dealer, is only natural. What you got instead definitely wants to make you search for a dealer that will treat you right.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before i write my letter to Dodge & a dealership, i want to
get your opinions first. Took my 00 RT out for a spin today,
the check engine light has been on since 45 miles (now
has 689 miles), so i thought i'd stop by my local dodge
5 star dealer which has 2 viper techs.(bear in mind i did
not purchse my viper here). Asked the service writer if i could speak with a viper tech. "Why", well you see my check engine light has been on since about 45 miles & i'd like to have your
tech throw it on a dbr to check what might be wrong? "OK, i'll go get him,(pause) you didn't purchase your car here." No i replied, well nothing can be done right now, 1 of the techs
is over in car prep, & the other is working on an exit door". "There is noway i can pull the techs because we won't get paid for checking your computer". Now is this bogus or am i wrong for being a tad bit upset with this dealer ?????

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GRRR>>>> I always hate that line of BS that says "You did not buy your car here?" almost accusatory. "Well, Mr. Obnoxious Service Advisor, maybe I moved into this area and brought my car with me. Does that mean you won't help me?" "Do people that buy cars here get better service? Is that what 5 star means?"
The largest money maker in a delaership is the warranty and service area. Its not too hard to do the math that making $400 on each regular car they sell isn't going to keep the lights on. Dealers depend on Service to make money. Service advisors are salespeople, too and they need to be trained that way. If it ever happens again, I'd ask to see the Service manager.

While they may not have been able to fit you in (the excuses were REALLY LAME!), they could have suggested some alternatives and tried to impress you and get you as a service customer.

I'd call the GM and the Service Manager (starting with the GM as he should care mostly about he total ownership experience) and ask him if this is to be expected. if you do not have a regular servicing dealer, I would let him know you would have considered taking your car(s) there, but this behavior was not particularly comforting. I would not go the Dodge route until the dealer had a chance to correct the situation. A good dealer will correct it - a bad one deserves the letter to Dodge.

Ok, maybe I am a bit touchy about customer service....
You must be registered for see images
but I don't think I expect anything that is "superior" just basic good service.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's nuts! Call the GM of the dealership. Tell him what happened. If he blows you off, go somewhere else for your own good. The advisor was totally out of place in my opinion. 5 star or not, bought there or not, they should at least look at it with the drb on the service drive. Some techs(not myself) whine and sniffle about 10 minutes that they won't get paid for. idiots.dj

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni, if Henry would have called all you would have gotten was grief(LOL). Obviously, some men still know how to treat a lady. That is how it should be done!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone...Dodge & its employees & techs really do monitor this site. John Kerwin a Viper Tech from Gary Barbera Dodgeland in Philadelphia read my post. He contacted me. I explained the situation to him & he told me that i would never need to set up an appointment to check why my engine light is one. Here is 1 class act. Thanks John.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all - thought I would share this...
Just bought a new VR6 Volkswagen GTI to burn less fossil fuel around town. (No flames on the non-Dodge thing please...) And we had originally asked that the car not be prepped. Our friendly Dodge dealer knows us and complys with all our goofy requests. VW dealer said No, we get graded from VW, yadda yadda yadda. SO I said OK in a moment of weakness.

Picked up car. Remnants of proective plastic still on car, windows spotty and streaky but overall not bad. Brought car home to Dawn wash, Zaino, clean inside, remove any remaining plastic and do our standard vehicle check (fluids, tire pressures, lug nuts, etc) Long story short, engine oil overfilled and tires at 42-44 PSI with recommended at 26. Called sales guy - he said speak with GM. (Didn't want to slam them on new owner survey w/o talking to them first) Told GM the issue - he said 1) should have gotten the car any way I wanted, 2) Oil and tire pressure issue should not have happened. He'd be checking who did hte work and making sure problem did not reoccur 3) Offered to do something for me. I declined, just told him I wanted to be a good customer. Thanked me for giving him the opportunity to fix problem. Thought that was the end of it.

Today, doorbell rings, flowers delivered with apology about the delivery issues.

I guess they are not all bad....

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
called john kerwin at barbera dodgeland today at 8:30 am. let him know that i able to get to philadelphia today. he told me to bring it on up and he'd check my car out. by early afternoon my car was on the racks with the DBR testing being done. Found out that i have an Evaperation leak, a large one....while the test was running this viper tech heard a vaccum hissss near the rear bumper over the exhaust. What a trained ear....sure enough pulled the inner rear wheel well cover & found a hose had not been properly connected to a box. Never saw this piece before...thanks john.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950