Is it worth it to install Mopar ECU on 01' with only K&N's and tubes?

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is it worth it to install Mopar ECU on 01\' with only K&N\'s and tubes?

Much controversy over the effectiveness of the Mopar "Race Controller" on the Viper. It seems that those of you in the know feel that this performance ECU is only effective if a host of mods are performed. What is the measurable performance increase on a Viper with only K&N's, smooth tubes, and the Mopar 3" "Street Exhaust? Is it worth buying with only these basic mods?

The Mopar performance catalog from three years ago was touting something like 30 hp and 20 ft. lb of torque (please don't quote me on those stats, it's just my memory). However, I think it turned out that you only got that kind of increase if you installed the rocker arm mod, "Street Headers", K&N's, tubes, and "Street Exhaust". The original catalog gave me the impression that this performance ECU would give you the boost if you just installed it and the tubes/ filters. The newer Vipers apparently already have the "Street Headers" from the catalog in place. Much confusion for me on this issue. Anybody feel that this computer is worth the money on an un-modified Viper?

Thanks for responding if you have any facts on this issue!

Jim

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re: Is it worth it to install Mopar ECU on 01\' with only K&N\'s and tubes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwwiii:
Anybody feel that this computer is worth the money on an un-modified Viper?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not me. You'd be better looking at the Sean Roe controller.

The old Mopar Performance Catalogs never claimed ANY power increase when the unit was used alone w/o other mods. It just said 50 hp when used WITH the listed mods. Well those listed mods gave you the hp without the controller. The 2001 catalog takes it a step further to clearly state the controller is not an h/p increaser but rather an optimizer when you have the full (not short tube) headers, rockers, cat-back, etc. It raises the rev limit (what's the good, when better drag times are shifting before stock rev limit?), may defeat the rear o2 sensors, and changes some fuel curves, and may raise idle just a bit.

Where's the House of Speed take on this?

Okaboji Univ?

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Is it worth it to install Mopar ECU on 01\' with only K&N\'s and tubes?

With just intake mods, I don't know if you'll see any gains at all with the MOPAR ECU. If you go to a full exhaust system, you'll probably need one in a '00-'01 car to avoid getting a check engine light. I got the check engine light in my '01 RT/10 1200 miles after installing the BTR Viper headers & exhaust, even though I was running the stock catalytic converters. With the MOPAR ECU, I'm no longer getting the light even though I've switched to high-flow cats. According to Hennessey, most or all '00+ cars with headers & exhaust are getting the check engine light with the stock ECU.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth