Anyone with dyno results of exhaust upgrade?

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone in the VCA community has actually dyno'd their snake before & after an exhaust upgrade. For instance dyno stock & then install a Borla catback for example & dyno'd again.

Dave.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be doing just that in May. I have filters and tubes on our car. I will be at the MCVO dyno day on 5-19-01. When I get home, I will be installing the complete BTR Belanger system and will go back to Detroit to run the test again. Can't wait

Steve

ps 260" of snow so far keeps the rocket in the garage for a while

Ben Gratt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

I've got a 2000 GTS that dynoed 412 rwhp with smooth tubes and filters. After the Borla cat-back, I dynoed 409 rwhp (on a different day). So, in my case, the Borla didn't add any horsepower at all.

Ben.

OP
OP
D

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, can't wait to see the results of your tesing in May, thanks!

Ben, ouch! Um, I'll see if I get any other input on the Borla catback, more hp isn't the end all of the selection, but no increase or in this a case a drop, would be a major bummer for the money. Borla has moved to the end of my selection herd I guess.

Dave.

Reaction score
My personal experience, on my '01 RT/10:
Stock: 407.8 RWHP 442 ft/lbs
Add smooth tubes & K&Ns: 415 RWHP, 448 ft/lbs
Add Belanger headers & catback, stock cats: 431 RWHP, 475 ft/lbs
Add high-flow cats & MOPAR computer: results tomorrow after dyno run. I'm guessing some additional power -- the mixture's dead on with the MOPAR (vs a bit rich with the stock ECU) and the high-flow cats definitely flow more than the stockers.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With full BTR exhaust I gained 21 peak hp (close to 40 hp at some rpm ranges) and I gained 40 ft. lb. peak torque. Motor is still tight though I expect another 10 peak hp with wear.

OP
OP
D

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben, I'd love to see if the hi-flo cats are worth extra hp, please share your findings - great info, thanks!

Rebel, thanks for the info, did you expect a bit more hp from the btr system - they have 50hp or money back claim, are you losing the extra 20+ to the cats do you think - or is btr not referring to peak hp - as you have 40rwhp gains at points in the powerband.

thanks,

Dave.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am happy, I choose to got with bullet cats, twice the flow but will pass the sniff test. I only had 915 miles on the Arrow re-build when I dynoed with the exhaust I am sure I will get 30 hp in another 1,000 miles with cats. She sounds sweet and hauls a**.

Reaction score
The BTR guarantee is indeed for gains with NO cats. I've anecdotal evidence that removing the cats in an aftermarket exhaust setup gives substantial gains. I'm not going to go catless for emissions and noise reasons, but the high-flow cats may well be a happy medium. Data to be posted as soon as I have it tomorrow.

Reaction score
The stock cats flow decently for a near stock car. However, over time, their "rolled" material design clogs up easily, severely impeding exhaust flow. A similarly-clogged standard-type cat will have more flow.
The 3" high-flow cats we installed in Ben's RT/10 provided more mid-range and high-end thrust. We're putting his car on our dyno tomorrow afternoon, so we'll know exact numbers then. I'm sure he'll post the results!
You must be registered for see images

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the dyno results for the addition of high-flow cats & MOPAR ECU to my '01 RT/10 with the Belanger headers & exhaust:
Peak HP: 437.8, up from 431.4 with stock cats & ECU
Peak TQ: 485.3, up from 475.1
Average HP gain in powerband 3,500 - 5,800 RPM: + 9.3 HP
Average TQ gain in same range: + 10.9 ft/lbs

I have the dyno charts & other data in a separate post in "Performance Modifications"

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben-
How many dyno pulls did you make after adding the cats and ECU? What did all the runs average out to be? Just curious to see how much hp/tq they added on average... Were the numbers from the same dyno (APEX or Mustang Ranch) or both? Consistency is important. Other than that...great results. I will be adding the Borla with hi-flow cats (I am trying a brand new cat that flows a TON and is guaranteed to pass the sniffer) shortly. Need a baseline dyno run beforehand.
Good Luck!

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, not got the figures to post here yet, but hope to soon dyno my 3" cat-less system with triple-ceramic coated tri-y headers, and of course the smoothies and K&N's. Don't know exactly the 'stock export Euro-ECU loss though, I understand it's about 5 bhp down, it's programmed for our different octane ratings over here. I run unleaded 95 octane ("RON" measured). Anyone know the bhp loss for my ECU, could it be as much as 20 bhp down over 'stock USA'-ECU?