Considering buying a Viper - need advice

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good questions...but I HATE to type...bottom line ...call Dan Cragin at Santa Monica Dodge 310-395-2314....they have several 01's in stock and say they will DEAL below MSRP...and you can get GREAT service there!!! Call Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge 1-800-889-1893....GREAT guy, and he will do you RIGHT. If that's not enough, call me for long version concerning above recommendations. 317-873-6023.

Steve Fess Ind/Ky and ILL VCA

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a pretty new owner, but I'll take a stab at some of this:

'96 to '99 differences are fairly slight. New bigger wheels on the '99, brushed aluminum trim rings inside, milder cam on the '99 that results in a different sound. Your first day with a Viper you will not notice much else...

2001 Vipers have ABS. You have to decide your self if this is worth it to you. But for a non-track driven daily driver I would spend the money. It could save your car and / or your life.

Gas, tires, and oil changes for Vipers are more expensive. Otherwise it is not much more expensive to operate than any other car.

The pedals are certainly something you have to get used to. It took me about 2 weeks. I expect it will take me a week again this year if spring ever gets here...
You must be registered for see images
After that it is not really a problem.

Vipers do have a 1st to 4th assist that can be easily defeated. The simplest way is to make sure you are going at least 20 MPH before you hake the shift. It certainly has NEVER happened to me.

I like the stereo in my Viper. Best I have ever had in any car. But there are many here that have made significant upgrades to it. Then again there are many here that think a Viper without NOS is just too slow...

Sorry I don't do Porches...

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey. I'm in/was in the exact same boat. I will be again to in a little while (I had to take care of a speeding ticket first, the message is down lower
)

Anyway, here's what I figured out:

>To familiarize myself with this car beyond just a 5 minute
>dealer test drive, I’m planning to rent a ’96 GTS from a local
>rental place for a day. I’m hoping that this $500 will make
>me feel better about buying a Viper or will help me avoid a
>$70K mistake.

I thought about this, but $500 is a third (or more) of a payment. I think even if there is some problem that crops up later like discomfort, you won't even notice because you'll only have it for 1 day, and you'll be an adrenaline ***** the whole time.

>-I know that there are some differences between a ’96 GTS
>and a ‘99+ GTS like bigger wheels and a redesigned interior.
>I’d like to know just how much my rental ’96 Viper will
>differ from a newer model.

I've heard that they are a little looser driving-wise. Other than that, and the fact that rental Viper's tend to get beat to death, so might not perform as well, you'll be missing the dial back pedals. Everything else should be similiar.

>-Other than the addition of ABS and different colors, what
>else is different between ‘99 and ‘01? How important is ABS?
>Do you think I should spend the extra 10-15K for a ’01 over
>a ’99? 10-15K definitely makes a difference to me!

I thought the same thing. I finally decided that if I'm going to daily drive (including rain) I NEED to get ABS. But the reality is, given the low depreciation, getting a car 2 years older will only save you maybe $100-$200 per month. With payments around $1400/month (for me at least), this little bit more was worth having a 2 year newer car.

>-What do you think is a typical annual cost of ownership of
>a Viper?

Not too much more than another other sports car, other than having slightly worse gas mileage than most other sports cars due to the extra 2 cylinders.

>-I’ve read a lot of criticism about the absence of the dead
>pedal and having no place for your left foot. As well as
>complains about pedal placement. Is this real? How big
>of a problem is this?

Can't honestly say. I really doubt know'll ever know the answer to this question without owning one for a length of time. Again, renting one for one day isn't going to tell the difference. One nice thing given the low depreciation, is that as long as you make payments for about 1.5 years, you can sell it and make a gain if you don't like it. You'll only have to "suffer" for a little while.

>-I know that in order to save on gas, Corvettes will sometimes
>force you to shift from 1st to 4th. I hate that! Do Vipers\
>have that “feature” too?

Yup. Ain't america great? Not to worry, I believe there is a $25 part to disable that feature on a Viper just like on a Vette.

>-How good are Viper factory stereo systems? Are they easy to
>upgrade?

Honestly, the Monsoon stock stereo in my Camaro sounded better. I want the RT/10, which has no good space for a sub, but GTSs on the other hand can be quite good when replaced. The factory stereo does blow though.

>Also, the one other car that I am considering is a ’97 911TT.
>How does it compare to a Viper?

Nothing under $100,000 compares to a Viper. Same looks and better reliability (plus American made) than anything in the $100,000+ range, faster than anything in the $250,000- range.

Check out the daily driver FAQ on this site.

-Brett

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very well stated above by all. The only other differences you may notice between the 96 and 99+:

* the late model cars will have power mirrors
* less NGR in later cars (Neutral Gear Rattle)

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hi Ilya.
check out the vca classifieds.there is a very good selection of cars available in the classifieds right now. i have my 2000 red/silver stripe GTS in there for sale. give me a call if you are interested in mine. it is perfect and comes with impeccable references. good luck with your search!

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides ABS in 2001 and the cam change in 2000, the biggest significant difference between model years is color. Dodge offers only 2 or 3 colors each year. If you have a strong color preference, your choices will be limited by model year. Colors on Gen II cars through the years:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1996 - GTS: Blue w/White Stripes
<LI>1997 - GTS: Blue w/White Stripes, Red. RT/10: Blue w/White Stripes (rare!), Red.
<LI>1998 - GTS: Red, Red w/Silver, Silver, Silver w/Blue. RT/10: Red, Silver. Also: 100 Commemorative Edition GT-2 winged coupes (white w/blue stripes).
<LI>1999 - GTS: Red, Red w/Silver, Silver, Silver w/Blue, Black, Black w/Silver. RT/10: Red, Silver, Black
<LI>2000 - GTS: Red, Red w/Silver, Black, Black w/Silver, Steel Gray, Steel Gray w/Silver. RT/10: Red, Black, Steel Gray.
<LI>2001 - GTS: Red with or without Silver Stripes, Sapphire Blue with or without Silver Stripes, Yellow with or without Black Stripes. RT/10: Red, Sapphire Blue, Yellow.
[/list]

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
-I’ve read a lot of criticism about the absence of the dead
pedal and having no place for your left foot.

I have two Vipers and I still don't know what the big deal is about a dead pedal.

As well as complains about pedal placement. Is this real? How big of a problem is this?

All racecars have pedals close together.

-I know that in order to save on gas, Corvettes will sometimes
force you to shift from 1st to 4th. I hate that! Do Vipers\
have that “feature” too?

I love to shift. Even if it means going into 4th and then dropping into 2nd. Again, no big deal.

-How good are Viper factory stereo systems? Are they easy to
upgrade?

Pull the muffler off or upgrade to a complete open exhaust and you may never turn on the stereo again.

Also, the one other car that I am considering is a ’97 911TT.
How does it compare to a Viper?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't mean to sound negative but, the fact that these questions are even raised might be an indication for you to get the 911TT.

Admittedly I'm the last person that should offer advice on Vipers. They could've put nails in the seats and I would still want one.

Whichever one you get - ENJOY!!!

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Chuck - If my 96GTS had NO SEAT, I still would of purchased it. I use mine as a daily driver and as a result spend a good four hours every Sunday cleaning it from top to bottom and applying a layer of Zaino. I drive it in the rain - ABS - not needed if you drive with common sense. The pedals positioned off to the left - its a feature of the Viper - Ya wanna own one - Ya get usta it!!!!!! Seriously - this issue is an issue right up to the time you depress the loud pedal then it is completely forgotten. Same with the dead pedal!!! I think that the guys that have all these issues would find the same ar similar issues with whatever they drive - I know I have - but the truth is this car just grabs you - frankly I don't know how the folks that have to winterize their vipers can handle it - I would go nuts - I often will get out of bed in the middle of the night and go for a drive - Vacations are a ***** - I miss driving that car.
Finally - join your local Viper Club - simply put - these people are the best - I think you get a sense of that from this website.
Costs? - this will be the cheapest sportcar you have ever owned - HP for dollar spent - fun for $ spent - and maintenance - in 21,000 I have spent $14 on parts that failed - about $1200 on a set of tyres and a couple of hundred for pads - and I run autocrosses and a few open track events.

Let go of your concerns - every day you don't own a viper is a day not worth living!!!!!!!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everywhere I go I am constantly being given the thumbs up or I have to stop what I am doing and talk about the car. It's not a big deal and I enjoy talking about the car, but it takes me twice as long to do an errand in the Viper than in my other vehicle. There are people who have a bad attitude and will want to race you, there are people with good attitudes and who will want to race you. There are people who will resent you for owning such a pricey car and will let you know how they feel about you. There will be people who will want you to burn rubber just to see the beast do it's thing. The kids love the car and are awestruck when you drive next to them, it's fun to see their eyes widen and their jaws drop. Some adults will do the same. There are plenty of pluses and there are a few minuses. The minuses do tend to even the scale because of their severity. Whether its jealousy or just plain old brand loyalty, there will be people out there who just want to ruin your day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave