Light lens covers

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone produced the clear plastic lens covers that are applied directly on top of the light lens for added protection? I ask since i now noticed that they lights are "flaking" some type of protective covering that when removed looks like glitter. What is this stuff? Does this happen to everyone? Or do I have the stangest Viper out?

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 3M Paint Protection film on my headlight lens and it seems to be holding up and working very well. A friend who did the same and tried to remove it said that it did pull off a coating that was on the lens. I have no idea what this coating does for the lens.

I would guess that it is a coating that reduces unwanted diffration (glare) of light caused by the steep angle that the lens makes with respect to the bulb.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Jerry Scott[CO] on March 13, 2001 at 16:24</font>

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry, I've been looking into this 3M Paint Protection film and wonder where you got it and if you put it on any other part of your car. NAPA sells it @ $60 for a 6" by 84" strip. Any of this plastic film is very expensive, evidenced by the material from Clear Bra, but it may be a good investment to protect paint.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Frank - The 3M Paint Protection Film works very well on headlight lens and front fascia. I have had it on both for 4 years, also on side sills and it does a great job on the track and street. I did install it myself and it does take a little time to learn how to apply it. It can be removed from the paint anytime with just a little heat from a hair dryer and some 3M adhesive remover. It has done a great job of protecting my paint from bug and rock damage. I still don't have the first chip on the car.

I bought it at at H&H Warehouse (303-422-2035) here in Denver which is a distributor for 3M products. Your best bet is to buy the part no. 84824 which is 24 in. x 40 yds. for around $864. Then split it up with two other guys. For the smaller jobs they have a small kit no. 84911, 12 in. x 75 in. for around $64. Or you can have a tint shop do the whole job for a turn key price of around $600. This usually includes front fascia and part of the hood, bottom of side sills, back of side mirrors, wheel well lips, and behind the rear wheels. You can usually get a 3M representative in your area to show you how to apply it. Call 3M @ 877-666-2277 to get the name of the rep. in your area. Jerry Scott[CO]

OP
OP
V

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for the straight info. I'll check out both Archer and 3M. But I'll keep in mind what IEATVETTS said.

aarong2....my dad buys and i suggest, drive and maintain them. The Ferrari's are trusted to me form my fiances dad (he's my business partner)

Thanks again to everybody

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper