Break in time?? new viper

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the break in time is for a new viper? I have not gone nuts in the car, but i have let it loose, and I have come passed 5,ooo rpm after the initial 500 miles..can someone let me know if I did harm to the moter. Also I hear some comments on the the early 2000 moters that they are eating alot of oil..whats the theory behind this? Any recalls on the car?? Should i be worried??

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I can't say that you have damaged car, but suggest a more conservative breakin from this point forward. To quote (partially) Herb Helbig (Manager of Vehicle Synthesis, TEAM VIPER) as written on page 36 of SPRING 2000 Viper Mag.:
AVOID FULL THROTTLE RUN-UPS, and avoid driving at constant rpm for long periods of time.
Use light throttle run-ups through the gears ...MAX 2500 rpm for the first 200 miles, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED changing oil at 200 miles, then same light throttle run-ups to 3500 rpm for next 200 miles, same deal to 4000 rpm for next 200 miles, same deal to 4500 rpm for next 200 miles, and same deal to 5000 rpm for next 200 miles. Also AVOID long idling, wait for engime temp to reach normal before driving enthusiastically, check oil level with EACH fuel fill. Admittedly, this is HARD to do, but I think WELL WORTH IT !!! Good luck, and Happy Vipering...COME ON SPRING !!!!!

Steve Fess Sec. Ind/Ky VCA

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what all the experts say.......but
there was JUST NO WAY.........I could keep
from flooring it. I lasted for an hour or so then
said...."oh well"........My Gts now has 70,000
miles no adverse effects........at least this forged
piston car.. made it despite my break-in technique!!!!!!!!!!!!!