New owner questions

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased a 1997 GTS which did not have a owners manual. So I have some questions I hope someone can explain to me.

1. Whats that small knob on the front dash between the radio and steering wheel do? It has no markings and just clicks one time when turned.

2. What does the white up arrow light mean that illuminates on the instrument pannel?

3. What does Electronic Reverse Lock Out mean? I assume that you can't put the car in reverse while driving down the road, but I would rather not try it, just to find out. Is 5th and reverse the same slot?

Thanks

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2. Is 1-4 skip shift. (May be disconnected on transmission)

3. Yes. Electronic Reverse Lock Out is so you can't put the car in reverse while driving down the road. 5th and reverse are not the same gear. 5th and 6th are both over drives. (5th is .75 and 6th is .5) I think that's right? Anyway 4th is the 1 to 1 ratio.

Did you look in the small pocket behind the drivers seat for the manual? If you want, you can order a new one.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Small knob could be the remote mirror adjustor. It only clicks onces as it switches from left to right mirror control.
You must be registered for see images

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RE: the small arrow, suggests you upshift for the best fuel economy. If it is constantly lit the previous owner probably got irritated and disconnected the harness at the side of the trans. The lite is part of the skip-shift mechanism which under certain light throttle conditions locks you out of trans shift gates two and three forcing you to go one to four unless you blip the throttle. This was done to meet CAFE regs, now there's two geniuses I would love to meet! The rules maker and this clown.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The small "knob" next to the radio is for the dash lights...to adjust their brightness when the headlights are on. ('97 GTS do not have electric mirrors) It works like '68-'69 Mopar thumbwheel radios.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In addition to the above, IF you dont find your owners manual tucked way-deep-down in the drivers seat back pocket, I can order you one, and a SERVICE MANUAL to go with it, in case you are a do-it-yerselfer.

JonB

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me get this straight. I *CAN* disconnect that stupid
1-4 transmission lock out. If so, how do I do this.
From what I read, when you lock it out, the arrow stays
illuminated constantly. Is this true? Or does it just light up advising you to light up but with the tranny lockout disabled no longer forces you to?

Amit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth