Info on Mobile1 trisyn. 0W-40 "european car formula"???

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Info on Mobile1 trisyn. 0W-40 \"european car formula\"???

Anyone know if there is anything special/different about this Moblie 1 that is factory fill for 2001 Porsche 996 twin turbo??(other than a different viscosity range). The Mobile 1 site has it listed in one area, but no tech info provided. The 996TT boys are having to buy it through Porsche dealers ONLY at $10.00 a quart here in Indy (NOT that different from buying Mobile 1 Trisyn. at a Dodge dealer at $9.00+ if you are that foolish). Just wondering if there is something "new" out there that might be worth considering for Midwest street Viper usage. Thanks, in advance.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Info on Mobile1 trisyn. 0W-40 \"european car formula\"???

Does this help?

Mobil 1 0W-40 is the first automotive engine oil to feature tri-synthetic technology with the traditional blend of synthetic hydrocarbon fluid and synthetic ester being joined by a new synthetic base oil for even greater all round low and high temperature performance.

The synthetic hydrocarbon fluid features a new viscosity that is especially suited to both low temperatures, keeping the oil at optimum fluidity throughout the harshest of European winters, as well as high temperatures, preventing evaporation even during periods of extended motorway driving.
Mobil 1

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Neil. We have Mobile 1 Trysyn. in 5W-30, 10W-30, and 15W-50 here that can be easily obtained...at GREAT prices...I have paid as low as $2.99 per quart, and a high of $4.28 per quart. Still, I have NOT come across this 0W-40...and have NOT seen label on front of the quart that says "European auto formula" before seeing this quart.... supposedly ONLY sold through Porsche (in the USA) at this point. I was interested in knowing if this viscosity package has more or less or different additives than what I have been buying. Thanks, again.

Steve

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any European oil will have different credentials than oils sold in the US. Here we have the API service categories, API SJ currently, although API SL in being introduced this month. Diesel categories are now up to API CH-4. These performance specifications are engine tests developed by technical societies, with lots of input (pressure) from the OEMs.

In Europe, the similar scenario leads to ACEA performance specifications, although it's more complicated because there are different performance requirements for different viscosity grades. Also, the ACEA system addresses passenger car diesel engines, something we don't have in the US. Lubricant tests are developed with more OEM input, so that the oils are essentially what the car companies want. Given the mix and match available within the ACEA system, an OEM can require both gas and diesel performance criteria for their engines- wouldn't be surprised if Porsche require the gasoline specs (being a gas engine) as well as diesel (because of the higher loads and temperatures from the turbos.) Generally, the ACEA oil requirements create a higher performance oil, although you have to recognize that the higher additive treat rates are to address lubricant requirements in Europe that may not exist here. For instance, their fuel economy test compares oils to a 15W40; in the US an oil is fuel efficient only if it's better than a 5W30 reference oil.
http://www.acea.be/acea/publications.html

Perhaps what makes a Euro oil better is that many of them meet both ACEA A1 and B1, so it can be marketed to both gasoline and diesel passenger cars in Europe, or as Porsche, because they have greater lubricant needs. And generally, a bigger package (not necessarily as simple as just more additive) is better.

The viscosity grade is unique and only possible with a synthetic. However, the 0W performance is pretty much overkill. I doubt they claim any fuel economy gain because of it, and although it means your engine would start at -30C, does anybody really get out and drive when it's that cold?
http://www.lubrizol.com/ReadyReference/6-OilClasses/physicals.htm

Consider a US diesel engine oil. They come in 15W40 and (more difficult to find) 10W30. They meet all the US gas engine tests and lots more diesel tests. Additive package is about 2X that of a gasoline engine oil - even Mobil 1.

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

THANK YOU, Tom! There are obviously MANY points to consider...most of which are unknown to the average U.S. driver (certainly me!). As you pointed out, most Vipers probably do not see-30F startups. Just looking to see if there was a better way to care for the Snake, even if it cost a little more. Guess I'll continue to snag "sale prices" at Wal-Mart on Mobile 1 Trisyn. 10W-30 (if you lash a couple of carts together, you can make a REAL HAUL...especially on the 5 qt. jugs) while the Porsche boys beg the dealer for $10.00-a-quart "deals". I LOVE Vipers!!
bounce.gif

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We use Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic in our Vipers as well as our Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually. Its rated at 5W-40 so it does give wider temperature range protection. Its a little difficult to find - we get it at a Mobil distributor in a 4x1 gallon case. Its also more expensive - it works out to close to $5 per quart...

I hope this helps!!!

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Henry. Hope you TWO were happy with dyno day results!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth