Mobil 1 Oil Filter Failure...... Analysis

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What impact did this have on your car? When/how did you realize there was a problem?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Received a copy of the failure analysis from Mobil today regarding the M1-204 that failed at the gasket upon start up.
Original thread here: http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/003010.html

When we removed the filter, the gasket had sunk below the rolled seam of the filter in one area allowing oil to blow out between the filter and filter adapter. Sent the oil filter back to Champion Labs (they manufacture the filters for Mobil 1).

Report reads as follows:
"1. There was no evidence of excessive pressure or of an interference fit.
2. The thread was checked *** found satisfactory.
3. The blue/blue/white coded (JARCO) gasket was defective. It is an end cut. The cut dimension varies 0.340 in thickness to 0.242. This condition results in negative gasket height in one area.

Because of the gasket the filter is defective."

Me again. I spoke with the head of warranty claims. The gasket is a "slice" of a much larger extrusion. The interior slices are fine and meet all the tolerances. The end cuts are to be scrapped. This did not happen at the manufacturer. There are supposed to be inspection processes to check for this condition, as well, and they did not catch it. Visually, the filter was fine. He suggested that when applying the small amount of oil to the gasket, you should push rather ******* the gasket to make sure it is well seated. Maybe that would have caught this one. I don't know. But it is probably a good idea to press on it some as it is about to be put under much more pressure than your finger. Couldn't hurt.

<<EDIT - Added link to original failure post...>>