How do you know when your clutch is going bad?

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of posts on clutch replacements, but how do you know when you need a clutch replacement. This is my first manual transmission car. What are the signs?

Thanks,

John

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The smell of burning clutch. Loss of power coupled with clutch slippage when clutch is out. You will experience difficulty moving from a stop, driving up hills, etc. The engine will rev higher than normal to get at speed.

A way to test is to drive to a big empty parking lot and park the car. From a stop with the clutch in, your foot on the brakeand the engine running, slowly let the clutch out. If you can let the clutch out a couple of inches without bogging the engine, then the clutch is slipping

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Doug levin also told me that if the clutch pedal is hard to push down, that is a sign of wearing out. has something to do with the heat taking the toll on the clutch. I don't want to quote him, but maybe he will see this and add to it.

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ihad mine upraded to larger one at 17,000 miles
then replaced that one at 70,000 miles and
believe me I drive this car! I don't agree with 20,000
mile replacement as a blanket statement.

Reaction score
Heres me 5 cents worth
smile.gif

The best way I have found. Put the car in 3rd (running of course) let the clutch out and floor the gas. If the RPMs go up faster than the car moves thats a give away your clutch is hosed. The Pedal on my NSX was to low to the floor and was hard to push in. I had the clutch replaced and the problem was still there. It needed to de "adjusted" but heck, aI had a new clutch at least

Ruth