Michelin Pilot Sport vs. Dunlop SP Sport 8000

Godsil Performance

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had both the Michelin MXX3 and Dunlop SP8000. Though these were run on two different vehicles, neither being a Viper, I will continue to buy the Dunlops. I have heard that the SP8000 will be discontinued and so I will probably step up to the SP9000. I don't know all the technical stuff on these tires but as far as traction the SP8000's are the best. I also talked to my tire guy the other day and he said that the tire companies would send him to a race track and there would be all these cars, one model, and they would all run different tires. He said that they let him loose in 10 different Vipers one day all with different tires to feel which is better. He said that in the wet the Michelin was the best of all, but he said that in the dry the SP8000 had no competition. Take all of this which ever way you want but I will continue with Dunlops.

Jason Godsil
Godsil Performance

OP
OP
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I go through fronts a lot quicker than rears and for less money ($1,226 Dunlops - $1,288 Michelin) I can get an extra set of fronts if I buy the Dunlop's. I think I'll give them a try.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although this was not on a Viper... I had a miserable time with the Dunlops on a 500hp Mustang GT. Biggest problem was the wet weather traction. In the water, there was zero traction. Granted, the mustang was a daily driver, but even so, I get great traction in the rain with the stock viper tires where with the mustang, I had to move to Firestone SZ50s (which I loved on the mustang... too bad they don't make them for the viper).

Just my .02... be weary of wet weather traction. Dry was pretty good, though not great.

Take care!

Joseph