NOS on the street

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben,

Your experience sounds just like mine - having gone to the 650R. I wonder how our cars would do in a head to head. We have very similar HP but your TQ is considerably higher. Also, I assume your TQ is at a lower RPM. But then I pull strong all the way up to 6000. Interesting. I have a habit of saying to the general public that driving my car is like having NOS all the time. I wonder how true that is. I guess my next step will have to be Half Shafts and NOS.... Albert, twist my arm!!!! 750RWHP here I come.

Regards,

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben,
Has Dodge changed/upgraded the half-shafts in Vipers since 95? A group in St. Louis went to the drags a couple weeks ago and a basically (exhaust and intake) stock 95 twisted the heck out of the drivers half-shaft on street tires. When to half-shaft upgrades become necessity? Anyone else have opinions?

Thanks,

Dave

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben,
Has Dodge changed/upgraded the half-shafts in Vipers since 95? A group in St. Louis went to the drags a couple weeks ago and a basically (exhaust and intake) stock 95 twisted the heck out of the drivers half-shaft on street tires. When to half-shaft upgrades become necessity? Anyone else have opinions?

Thanks,

Dave

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin -- A NOS car would have a small advantage over a NA car making the same HP because the NOS power curve is flatter (i.e., shaped like a 400 RWHP NA curve shifted up 180 HP) and thus there's more area under the curve at off-peak RPMs. On street tires, a 560 RWHP NA car has a progressive torque curve and will tend to maintain traction where the NOS car tends to break the rear tires loose when the NOS hits.

Dave -- I don't know whether the factory half-shafts have improved over the years, but the ones on my '01 were fairly spindly. My car already has upgraded half shafts (BTR's). I did that mod at the same time I installed the exhaust system. Regarding when to upgrade, since half-shaft failure is all about peak loads, you can break the half shafts on a stock car by either (a) getting wheel hop on the launch or (b) running drag slicks. Adding additional power just makes them easier to break. IMO if you're going to the dragstrip and getting any wheelspin on launch (i.e., not bogging the engine) or if you're running slicks, you should upgrade your half-shafts.

It'll be very interesting to see how my FrankenCombo of parts does on and off of NOS. I'll go down a NOS jet size when I install the heads to limit the total strain on the car, and I'll make the following fearless predictions for final performance:

Off of NOS: 500 - 510 RWHP, 490 - 500 RW ft/lbs
On #46 NOS: 620 - 640 RWHP, 700 - 720 RW ft/lbs

That's good stuff
You must be registered for see images

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running BTR's new liquid propane/liquid NOS system with #52 NOS / #30 Propane jets, which makes about 580 RWHP / 700 RW ft/lbs, and it's set up on an RPM window switch which turns it on @ 3000RPM and turns it off @ 5400 RPM. Now that it's all dialed in, I've had a few opportunities to run it in street driving.
How can it put this -- 200 NOS shots are enough to bring spontaneous giggles from a fairly HP-jaded driver (me) and cause passengers to exclaim words which this BBS will filter if I repeat
. With street tires, first gear is useless. From a roll @ 40mph in 2nd gear, when the NOS turns on the rear tires usually spin, and when they hook up the car accelerates faster in 2nd than it does off of NOS in 1st. In 3rd, the speedo goes "60 - 70 - 80 - 90 - 100" with less than a second per 10mph increment. It's exhilirating, and feels faster than my old 710 HP Supra did when the turbos spooled -- and this package is entirely streetable.
For those who haven't had the opportunity to ride in a 700HP car, beg / borrow / steal a spin in one. Your only regret will be the cash depletion you'll suffer as you run out to get a kit of your own
I can only imagine that a Hennessey turbo / Levin SC car, with more HP and a more progressive delivery, must be absolutely breathtaking.

Reaction score
Ben, when are you going to take it to Sears for some drag strip runs. I want to be there to see the efforts of all our hard work!

Reaction score
Ben,

MSN Hotmail is down...Sunday works for me, but I have a cookout in P.A. at 6:00 p.m. I'd like to be back for. I am taking my 'Stang down to Ted May right now...cracked Pony rim, A/C recharge, etc., etc.

I'll check my e-mail again later-

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as we have the rollbar installed, Bill -- no point in mounting slicks and turning on NOS when I'm already running 12.0s on motor & street tires
Since you're scheduled to finish the Big Install by 6/15, I was thinking the Wednesday night drags on 6/20 would be the perfect time to go let this beast rip.

Believe me, I'm as eager as you to see what it'll do. Depending on where the HP ends up, and how well your truly can launch, we should see mid-10s @ 130+ on slicks, and low 11s off.

OP
OP
M

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben,

In your old Supra:

Were you running Race gas to get 710RWHP?

If not, how much HP on Premium Unl?

What kind of MPH Traps were you getting with 710?

Thanks!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin,
I never got 710 RWHP -- I got 619 RWHP, which calculates out to about 720 crank HP. That was on a 50/50 mix of 92 and 100 octane, with ice bags on the intake and a cold water spray on the front-mount intercooler to simulate ideal conditions and a 40-degree day. With pump gas and no cooling effort besides a fan on the IC, the Supra made 550 RWHP.
I never ran my car at the dragstrip, but a fellow with the same setup and same dyno figures ran an 11.0 @ 131, which is about right for that level of power and vehicle weight.

OP
OP
M

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ben!

I want like heck to get the NOS system from Albert - the Price is right. But everyone I know it trying to talk me out if it! I mean really, they have a point. I can run low 130's on the street. How many times am I going to run into faster street cars? Not often. So I need help justifying in my mind that I need 750RWHP. This decision is driving me crazy.

Thanks for the info.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin,
Albert has had lots of experience with NOS and it shows on his car's time slips! Why not do it? It is very inexpensive and if you don't want to use it - then don't. But it will always be there for you when you need it. Even a low shot will be worth the few dollars it costs and shouldn't affect the durability of your motor. What have you got to lose?

Reaction score
Martin,

Too much power is never enough. I say we go with a dual stage shot for 300 Hp to the ground. LOL. Seriously I havent had any problems spraying. Start off small and use it only when you need it. Next thing you know you'll spray the car every where you go.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also considering a shot of Nitrous. That is once I learn to control around 800HP with the S/C. I guess I'll have to go with street slicks???

Gerald

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just wanted to ask a question of Treynor. what did you like better the supra or the viper. I had a 95 supra tt with about the same HP. It was done by that guy in NY "vinny tens" who had the record for the fastest supra in the world. (i think his name has changed to vinny 9s or 8s ha ha ha . . .haven't kept up). to be honest I have owned many fast cars, some faster than the supra, but all said and done I would have to say the supra tt was the best car i ever owned. fast, comfortable, easy to drive fast, felt very safe at speed, looked awesome, etc. miss that car. thinking of getting another and really going nuts on it.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow 700HP!!! That must be a rocket ride. I have 430 RWHP and can't imagine 700HP. How durable is Vipers motor to take NOS?

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UnclGreggy,
It's a fair question. The Supra is really a terrific car, and as you know can make a ton of power. The Viper is a completely different beast -- compared to the Supra it's loud, crude, unergonomic, and draws more attention than a **** supermodel. The Supra is a street car with a mean streak; the Viper is more a race car with a few amenities. It's probably easier to simply take you for a ride in one than to try to explain in words.
Which do I like more? Hard to say -- I really like both. I'd the Viper's a more streetable package when you get up to serious power levels; my Supra had major turbo lag issues, while the Viper just pins you into the seat the moment you hit the gas. On the racetrack, the Viper's lighter, stiffer, lower, has much more traction, and the predictable powerband makes it easy to get out of corners.
If you're in the Silicon Valley area, I'd be happy to take you for a spin in my Viper so you can judge for yourself; if you're elsewhere, specify and I suspect a local Viper owner will volunteer. I don't think you can go wrong with either car, but they're quite different and you should know what you're getting into.

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
treynor,
I totally agree with your thoughts on the comparison. when people ask about my viper I often tell them I have this love - hate relationship with it. some days i find myself wanting to roll the car off a cliff... a very high cliff. other days i think its the greatest car in the world. I must also say that when I had the supra, back then (95) nobody had it and would turn heads. (but not as musch as the viper). the turbo lag problem was fixed when I added an NOS system. only problem is that the bottle didn't last that long.

thanks
gt

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a pretty built 2000RT and I am trying to get my wife to buy me Tom's Nitrous/Propane kit for Fathers Day. The car is a rocket already but she can't understand why I need a couple hundred more HP. Anyone got any suggestions on what I should tell her? Subtle hints haven't been working and Fathers day is coming soon!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc Lublin:
Anyone got any suggestions on what I should tell her?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't wait to read some of the responses to this one!

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got some news for you. my fiance has 4 1/4 carats on her hand and guess what? It bought me about one week of grief free living. after that she went back to the same old complaints. Mine still hates the viper (and the fact that my biggest interest is cars and working on cars and buying cars, and talking about cars, etc) - when the viper is mentioned I get, "its too loud, it's too hot, everybody is always looking at us, I don't feel safe in it, can't we take one of your other cars....bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla". I think the only way to get something from them is to spend a whole lot of money on them first and then hint like crazy about what you want. you could probably get the present that way, but then again who is actually paying for this thing? If she's like mine she would call and order the part with my credit card! thanks honey! appreciate the thought! screw it..... order the thing yourself. If she askes about the bill, pretend that something broke on the car and needed to be fixed. then tell her insurance wouldn't cover it. REMEMBER: ITS NOT A LIE IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE IT.

sorry I guess I just had to vent my frustrations. hahahahahahaha<u>my</u>

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unclgreggy,
Sounds like you still have time to run for your life with your hand clutching your wallet! For God's sake man, run like the wind!

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto on Jason's advice. If she feels that way about it now, it won't get better after the marriage... been there, done that!

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might as well take me out of the oven because this bird is cooked. I don't even listen any more- I just shrug my shoulders and say,"okay we'll take something else." Hell, I haven't even joined the viper club in my area yet because she wouldn't go. went to a car show this weekend, which she did not attend, and after arguing about her no show she "says" she'll go to the viper events with me now. we'll see. By the way does, anyone out there know who I should contact to join the viper club in NY, NJ, or CT? I live in NY so NY would be best. I don't really know how thiese clubs work so if anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each his own!My wife of 33 years said when
I told her I was putting a roll cage in the GTS
(so I can step up to 180 tech speed for Silverstate)..."If you
put a roll cage in that car I'm not riding in it!!!!!!"
whereupon, I responded " If I had known that I would
have done 4 years ago!!!!!!" I won't try to re-design your kitchen leave the Viper mods to me!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marc,

Answer is simple. If you fear your wife, there's a major problem.
Your the man in the relationship, no? If you want it, get it. What's so hard about that? If she doesn't approve, so what? After all, if she really loves you and knows that makes you happy, why is she complaining????????

I've been in a 5 year marriage like that and thought that's how things were supposed to be. Once out of it, I realized how miserable my life really was.....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by unclgreggy:
I haven't even joined the viper club in my area yet because she wouldn't go.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another good reason to join the VCA.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have also been with my wife for 11 years and I have to say she is the best. Hey, I have 2 vipers right now and only drive one and still she's cool. She just feels she has to try to draw the line somewhere. I shelled out the money for the car, drove it down from Detroit and then pulled the motor to spend that much more money. So now after all that the car runs great and she can't see the reason to spend another 2 grand when the house needs windows and siding. Just picked up a bunch of Andersen's today to take care of that window thing. Anyway I'm working on her. Of course I can call Tom right now and buy his kit, but I would really like it if she was on board with the whole thing. I feel that makes for a good, solid relationship.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave