Lookin to buy a Viper 92-94

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I just cancelled my order for a 2002 Z06 to get the car I have always wanted, but a friend (with a vette) talked me out of.
So now I am back to "lookin for a Viper". I would like a 92, 93 or 94, have 45k to spend.
i have looked at a couple of FAQ's on some of the boards, but they are way to basic in the info they provide a potential buyer, and seem to only hint at 1 or 2 things to look for, and to me, I would look at these type of mentioned items even if I were looking at a used Pinto!
So, can any of you Viper gurus lead me to a site or source (is there a buyers guide like ones for Porsches and Vettes out there) to help me out? Any and all help would be greatly appeciated!
Some questions I have are: is there a better year between the 92-94, any quirks, maladies, what and where to look, see, hear and smell for etc.
Joe

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, JonB of Partsrack is the info source you want for the differences between the model years. If you're looking for a Gen1 (92-96 RT/10 model), I've been told that the 95s have a lot of kinks worked out on them. For 45K you could get a very nice one, but if you want actual windows and could scrape together a few more grand, you could probably get a 96GTS or 97 GTS/RT10 with 20-25K miles on it. I just got a 98 rt/10 with under 5k miles and both tops for $55k, and in the process I put together a massive list of questions, which I was going to preview and post for others to add to in order to make a good buyer's checklist.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a gentlemen on the board who just posted he wants to sell his 1996 GTS. Look on the previous posts. I think it was titled " I can't sell my #%$#$ GTS" . I bet it can be bought for just under 49k. you can't go wrong in which one you choose, but if you can get a GENII for a couple grand more, GO FOR IT!!

Regards,
Gerald

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to the viperclub.org home page and link to the prospective buyer info.

JonB is a resource, but don't stop there! Find your local club and the members will be happy to show you the differences and take you for a ride in their personal cars.

I have a '93 and an '01 and they are totally different cars! Some people daily drive their early RT/10s, but I am afraid you will be unhappy trying to do so. Remember, no windows (just side curtains or aftermarket pieces), no outside door handles, and marginal A/C (I have no A/C in my car, in fact). Early RT/10s will leak water in any heavy rain, too. I love my RT/10, but not as a daily driver, especially in comparison to the GTS.

So remember that you are buying a true dream car/toy. Frankly, for all-round performance, the Z06 is so close (probably better in the brakes and handling department) that the daily driving experince might be better. But for fun, panache, huge torque, and less depreciation, get the RT/10. $45K will buy you an awesome example! My car is very nice, with some extras like StopTech brakes, Penske Shocks, Aluminum Radiator, and more, and I figure it is worth $40K tops. If you find a '95 or '96 car, you may even be able to get the 7yr warranty transferred. As far as features, etc, there are not any significant differences '93-'95, and sidepipes were gone in '96 (this is sort of a hybrid car, with bits of the Gen II and Gen I cars together). Some people like the later cars, but I can say that I think the fit & finish of my '93 is outstanding and there are many things I like better than later cars (remember, fewer than 1000 '93s were made, and with bigger volume in later cars may have come some compromises)

You will hear a select few on this board tell you about all the problems RT/10s have. Consider their concerns (usually head gaskets) and then poll local folks with RT/10s to see how many have had similar problems. I have not and no one I know locally has had any trouble. In 7+ years and 20,000 miles (many on track) I have had zero drivetrain problems, and have only hurt my power steering, which needs a cooler for the track.

If you have another car for transportation, get the RT/10. If it is your only car, get the Z06.

Keith

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I don't know your location, but we have a NJ member with an immaculate '94 Black w/hard top and 2 sets of windows for sale (he'd like to upgrade to a 2000). Car has VERY low miles, is garaged kept, never raced and is immaculate. If you are interested, give me a call at 732-531-4600 (days).

OP
OP
V

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kverges:

I have a '93 and an '01 and they are totally different cars! Some people daily drive their early RT/10s, but I am afraid you will be unhappy trying to do so. Remember, no windows (just side curtains or aftermarket pieces), no outside door handles, and marginal A/C (I have no A/C in my car, in fact). Early RT/10s will leak water in any heavy rain, too. I love my RT/10, but not as a daily driver, especially in comparison to the GTS.

)

You will hear a select few on this board tell you about all the problems RT/10s have. Consider their concerns (usually head gaskets) and then poll local folks with RT/10s to see how many have had similar problems. I have not and no one I know locally has had any trouble. In 7+ years and 20,000 miles (many on track) I have had zero drivetrain problems, and have only hurt my power steering, which needs a cooler for the track.

If you have another car for transportation, get the RT/10. If it is your only car, get the Z06.

Keith

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
THANKS for the info Keith. The Viper will NOT be a daily driver, probably 3-5k a year in miles driven. I am more inclined to get an RT so I can feel the wind in my hair (what little is left!). That info on head gaskets scares me, but I like the fact that the older cars are more on the side of hand built (was it just the first year that was actually hand assembled?)and the limited numbers appeal to me. thanks, joe

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been thinking about moving up to a GTS Coupe.
Since you didn't post an e-mail address you can e-mail me at [email protected] or call me at (636)942-4690 (till 10pm CST)and I'll give you all the info on my car.

VardaMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that THE Viper to own is the RT/10. Their one major problem is the head gasket anti-freeze leaks. Inspect the car that you might want to buy from under the motor. Look for any traces of leakage on the side of the block. If you see anything, look for another car.
Your best situation might be to find a car that has had the motor reworked by Arrow. This is the shop that DC uses to
rebuild Viper motors for leak problems. Many early Viper motors have already had this done.
My other suggestion is to buy a Viper from the original owner that has not been used as a drag or road race car. These cars get alot of abuse. There are many Garage Queens out there in the $45k price range.
Hope that this helps, good luck on your search!
You will love the full acceleration blasts in an open roadster
with side pipes! It's fantastic!