No postings for non-Viper owners, thats what I say!!! Admins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really think that to avoid people posting here and creating problems for the board we should have everyone register with their vin number and if you dont have one then you cant post. Jay, Joe, and Tony, to be able to post on the board you should have people register with their vin or their membership card. So that way if there is a post chances are they really are a viper owner. I know for a fact several people on this board dont even own a viper or ever have. So many arguments arise over a statement from a post that have no idea what they are talking about and offend true Viper owners. Non members should be able to read posts only. As far as them being a future Viper owner then let them go and buy one first then they would be able to qualify to post.

Reaction score
Wayne,

That is a fairly elitist view; my gut feeling is that you are going to offend quite a few people.

Were you personally bothered by a certain thread started by a non-Viper owner?

Best,

Rollo

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Agree!

I say we add more criteria though:

A) No people can post who own RT/10s. We all know they are posers! Let them do their posting at the local 7-11 parking lot while acting cool.

B) If you don't have a car with ABS, nobody is gonna want to hear from you. Obviously, if you really have something to say you'll have an '01. Besides, if you've only got an '00 or older you've done nothing for Dodge this year.

C) Only ACR owners should be able to post. What kind of guy with information worth reading drives a car without suspension mods?

D) If you don't have stripes on your car, there's something wrong with you. Feel free to post elsewhere!

E) Any guy with a yellow '01 has no business even reading what us '01 Sapphire Blue/Silver Striped ACR guys are posting. So lets ban them from even reading.

F) No posting anything even remotely amusing. We've got bettter things to do than laugh.

G) Most important--DO NOT POST DURING DIAGNOSIS ******! Who's gonna delete the funny posts that lots of people respond to during this hour?

Reaction score
Let's also discriminate on race, religion, second vehicles, height, weight, age, and my personal favorite, income.
You must be registered for see images

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an intending-to-be-soon owner, I've learned a lot from here by reading and posting questions which have been responded to, as well as by posting for help with checking out a viper (thanks Gerald, Chuck, and Tony!). I do think a viper-owner/VCA member only section is a good idea, but not for the whole board to be. I'm sure you can just as easily be offended by a viper owner as someone else

Jay H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a NON-Viper owner and have never claimed to be one, Id like to add this. I try not to post bogus things about the Viper, Because I know very little about the haft shafts and which tires are best to race and drag race on. But I do enjoy reading and jumping in on topics that I find Id like to have a say in(like this one). A members area sounds real good but are the problems on this board really that BAD? I think Jay and Tony and everyone who put this board up needs a pat on the back, not a slap in the face which the seem to get everytime ONE person has a complaint. If a MEMBERS ONLY section was to happen it would take alot of fun out of this place. The problems here arent from NON owners or owners, its from people who cant understand this board is wanted to be fun for everyone but if your not having fun find another place to talk Vipers. Every one who thinks this board is good needs to let the people who work everyday on it know that the are doing a great job, we let them know when the new layout first changed to this one how good it was, why not now???

Reaction score
Totally Agree!
And while we're at it..... Ban the Corvette, Supra, Mustang owners

First offense: Label them with rude names.

Second offense: We takeaway their birthdays!

Doug

Acatala7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, I agree whole 100%.

Let's make this completley exclusive. Hell who needs diversity

1. Must have proof of Viper ownership- A vin verification will do
2. Must prove military service(DD214)- we don't need any slackers here!
3. Must have a War Veteran License plate- if your state doesn't have one then a DD214 will prove combat
4. Must be under 35, and weigh less than 190 lbs- No need for overweight midlife crisis psychos
Oh we can go on and on.

I qualify so far, anyone else???

brett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah what the hell....let's just make it a "Wayne Byrom only"

section, then he won't have to deal with any "stupid" posts.

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I can see it's time for the soapbox. I think the idea has merit. Personally I think anyone that can afford a Viper and doesn't take advantage of a great organazation like the VCA is missing the boat. Can someone give me a reason not to join the VCA? I do think that it should be VCA members only posting.
I know from the previous posts that many people won't agree with me but again this is the VCA BOARD and I am a VCA MEMBER.
OK, I'm off the soapbox, start throwing the tomatoes but remember the VCA pays for keeping this board running. Have you sent your membership dues in yet?

Just my .02 (well maybe .03)

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne, WOW.... When you drive your viper, I SURE HOPE you talk to ppl that come up and talk to you when they have questions. Maybe your one of those "stuck up Snobs" that gives exotic car drivers a bad name. Or do you only talk to other viper owners in public. YOur post is actually a bit embarassing, I hope it gets locked or removed.

A very poor post if you ask me..

Charlie,
There are some reasons not to join the VCA. I was a member a year ago and chose not to this year yet becuase it really doesn't do anything for ME. I find that ppl that own vipers to be double my age and just like to sit and have lunch once a month talking about their cars. I prefer to drive mine all the time and meet up with good friends that have vipers or other cars and race a little and hang out at fine establishments, hehe. Although not taking anything from this board. It's the greatest ASSET a Viper owner can have.. From Non Owners to Owners.

Regards,
Gerald

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald
Sorry to hear that things are so dull in Somewhere USA but our region is very active. I'm not trying to exile anyone from the board but the truth of the matter is that the VCA owns, runs and pays for the board and if anyone is owed anything it is the members. Personally, if I had my way VCA would allow associate menbers that weren't owners but that's not up to me. The VCA has been instrumental in helping members solve problems by working through channels at DC. If that isn't enough reason to join I can't imagine what would be.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time for my $0.02. I do not believe the board should be VCA or owners only. Also, a specific page for owners only would be an empty site. Who would post there and why???
I am , however, in favor of some identification indicating VCA or Viper ownership. We could use our VCA number which could easily be checked against an official VCA member database for verification. For other owners that are not VCA members, the VIN could be displayed. That would require some effort to provide verification.

I do get annoyed by the letters by non-owners that state they are and are not happy with their slow Viper, lost to a Volkswagen Beetle, or other poppycock. With VCA member or owner verification these non-value added posts would be reduced.

Ron

ACR Larry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we ban Texans from the board too... hehehe, Alex, just kidding.

I think Alex's comment says a lot. Many folks who are contemplating purchasing a Viper or those who are just interested in cars are in here to check out what current Viper owners have to say about their cars.

Larry

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ahh! This is why I love this Viper board more than T.V. I get action..some violent comments...some good comments....some sad things...some funny things...and most of all..I don't have to watch any soap operas when I can come here! This board is great stuff! We are all like a family in here! Hee! Vipermad..I think you are doing a great job and want to thank you for this board!! I wish I knew of it before I bought my Viper...might have gotten a better deal and waited to get the Gen II's

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne, I'm not sure I agree with your idea, but I will give you credit for making everyone think about this issue, including me.

Call me nosy, but when I see a post on our message board, I think there are really only two things I would like to know. One, of course, is if that person is a fellow Viper owner. Now, why would I want to know that? Well, for starters, that might give me a clue that if someone posts something like "What are you guys doing to modify your exhaust?" Before we all waste our time with a bunch of replies, I sure would like to know that person really has a Viper, and is posting for a REAL reason, other than to just "play" on our board.

Second, I would also like to know if that person IS a VCA member. or is just cruising the board..... to use and take..... rather than "share". I would like to have the chance to extend an invitation to join. If not, then they're still welcome.... but, after a while, it would be my choice if I still wanted to respond if they never signed up.

Tony, how about installing ONE snake head for having a Viper, and TWO of them in the ID area if you have one and also belong to the VCA?

Snobish? NO WAY! As far as I'm concerned anyone could still still follow the rules and post in the appropriate forum (BTW, should not this whole thread be going on under the "Layout" area?), and they would be welcome. But, in this age of "fake everything", I think this would be a legitimate "upgrade" to at least know who we are talking to. Anyone share my view?

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phew,
That was close! I was afraid for a second the "red-headed step child was going to be banned!

DV

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are already censoring posts that don't agree with the status quo (sorry guys, but we are), and now the proposal is on the table for only members to post?

This place would become a ghost town in a heartbeat. I personally feel that the moderation of this board has become a *lot* stricter (at the expense of fun factor and camarederie that used to exist), and we are thinking about making it MORE strict? Absolutely, totally the wrong way to go IMO. Start a mailing list or something Wayne if you want that level of moderation.

If we create a VCA members only section, then what exactly would this section be for? Why would someone post there and not in the other forums? It's very possible that a non-owner would have something to post here... I bet 1/2 or more of the posts here come from non-VCA members.

I think Vipermad hit the nail on the head with giving some sort of kudos to VCA members. Let's give them different titles and a star next to their name or something... not to say that VCA members input should be worth more than that of a non-member, but it's true that this board is a VCA resource, and those that make the VCA happen (the members) should probably get some recognition here.

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An indication of ownership or VCA membership on the post
would be a good idea. Exclusion of posts by non-owners and
VCA non-members would surely alianate both non-owner/members
as well as any clear thinking owner/members.
Would you prefer an informed open "conversation" with several
perspectives or a gated "gated community".
I know which I would rather particpate in.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excluding non members from posting is club suicide!

Every owner here at one point or another was a new member and had questions about the viper.

If this board (old board) and local VCA did not exist, I would have never purchased a viper. They were able to help me with question and concerns I had about the car. Furthermore, half the fun in owning this car is talking to people about the car and helping new owners over the same hurdles I went over.

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. And then we could get windbreakers, and decoder rings and have pretend parades with refrigerator magnet Vipers and, well ... what the heck ... we could have sleep-overs! I'm so excited!

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmmm..... lets get specific....

1) I've owned 3 Vipers personally - and a fourth one was owned by my partner in EB (we had 2 Y2k Roadsters last year)... I am a member of the IL VCA... I have a '03 on order with Bob Woodhouse... I've been profiled in Viper Magazine (and so have the EBT Girls) and have worked with the IL VCA to arrange charity events... So, safe to say, I love Vipers.... I've been actively involved in the VCA board for at least three years..
2) Technically, I dont personally own a Viper at this very moment (although we're waiting on delivery of a '01 for the Team). I personally own a '01 Vette as I am patiently waiting for my '03.

So, would my participation be limited for those periods of time which I actually own a Viper (where I would be restricted during transitions to new year models) or would there be some kind of "grace period" for people like me who are in "transition" between Vipers?

One of our Vipers was wrecked in Florida. Since the car was wrecked, would we be considered "banned" until our new model arrived? I suppose the VIN wouldnt be necessarily valid since it would be recorded as being totalled.

Who's going to monitor who owns one and who doesn't? Will Jay have to run a dqtabase to ensure that each VIN gets used only once? And if a second user tries to register, then verify that the user is the new owner and the old owner has to be placed on the "not active" list?

I suppose Jay would also need a database of valid VINs to ensure that someone isnt using a made up VIN number (or a VIN from a Ram truck or something like that)....

I mean - if you're going to adopt some kind of rules fort participation you certainly must have considered these kinds of issues?

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excuse me,

But wasn't there a post a while back that used the term "****" that got deleted??

Weren't the ****'s extremists who wanted to control their racial membership? If you were not one of them you were gone. Didn't they eventually loose, fall from power, commit suicide, get captured and hanged?

This is a car club, lets not make any more of it than what it really is folks. One VOI every year or so is enough private "members only" gig's for me.

Just my $.02

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

"If we had some ham, we could have some ham and eggs, IF we had some eggs!"

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I propose we kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

#1 An identifier (Snakehead or whatever) which would show who is a VCA member and who is not would be great. This would help the reader **** out the BS posts. Using the VIN number would be a problem however because anyone could just pick one and hope the actual owner don't try and register with it.

#2 I would like a KILL Section, but as discussed in a prior post it could be abused by trolls, kids, etc. If the Kill section was for VCA members only who had the identifier in Point #1 above, that would solve the problem. Maybe change the name from Kill to Track/Drag/Street Racing Section to appease people.

BTW the corvettefourm.com kill section is quite entertaining at times, especially by the couple of Viper owners there.

brett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MES:

#1 An identifier (Snakehead or whatever) which would show who is a VCA member and who is not would be great. This would help the reader **** out the BS posts.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that mean that all non-members post "BS posts"?

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! - this is a great idea!. Hey Vipermad, while we are adding all the gold stars, red viper heads, etc. to everyone's name, is there any way that you can have an "X" or something next to a person for each banning they've received - sorta like fighter pilots get for each kill. Also, is there any way that we can disguise the fact that we actually own a viper or belong to the VCA?

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This brings up an interesting topic... Seeing that I am NOT a Viper owner, but have participated in Viper events and have bought enough Viper memorabilia to give DC an entire years ORECA race budget, does this mean that I am "banned"? I don't entirely agree w/ this point of view. This forum is the only way Viper owners and non-owners alike can share thier viewpoints on the greatest car EVER to come out of Detroit, I mean, CAAP, but who's counting
... I firmly don't believe that this forum should be closed/restricted. Besides, what would Viper owners talk about in the private forum that is not already discussed here? I guess they could talk about how lucky they are to have thier own forum.....

Clint
And I'm stealing something from Mumford/Adelberg: WAR MEMBER FORUM!!!

OP
OP
H

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, I talk to anyone comes up to my car usually till I am blue in the face. I have given more rides to people that you could ever imagine. Second, every year I give rides to cancer victims up in Austin, Tx. for a benefit and some others. Third, I never realized how many non owners we have here on the board. Forth, after reading all the posts the best way as some of you said is to just identify owners with a symbol or a partial vin. I dont think we need a members only, but to me it makes a difference if the questions come from a Viper owner or not. I know for a fact that people are posting and starting arguments just for fun about the corvette guys and they go back and forth just to get a rise out of the Viper owners or other posts like this. Like Kingman said, I might be trying to get some valid info on here and someone posts a reply and has no idea what they are talking about. I just want to make sure true Viper owners are protected. One other thing for the non-viper owners, I am not trying to exclude you guys. I am trying to protect Viper owners. Someone stated here they find lots of good info here and some state they want to be a future Viper owner, well, wouldnt you like to be assured you are getting advise from a real Viper owner or someone that has experience with a Viper atleast. Some people I have seen are posting on how to drive a Viper and they have never even been seated in one for more than a few hours. Get my point?

Status
Not open for further replies.