Exhaust Tip Ceramic Coating Removal

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Does anyone know the best way to remove the "not so shiny" ceramic coating on the stock exhaust tips? (in prep for chrome plating)

Thanks</FONT f>

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I have cut them off, in fact I cut off the muffler too and welded up a stainless crossover.

I very much prefer the look of the stock tips and plan on getting any sound and performance improvement without changing the stock appearance, except of course for a bit more shine.</FONT f>

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob, I just cut off my old Borla tips last weekend. They were dinged up pretty bad, and I didn't like the fact that the intercooler piece was 2 1/2" and not 3" like the rest of the system. I got a set of polished stainless steel "Big Bore" tips from Jon B at the PartsRack. They are 8" long and 4" wide. They look great, and extend out an additional inch in the back of my GTS. Good Luck!

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the Borla tips, especially if you cut out the inner heat shield. They are 4 in. dia. stainless and to me look as good as anything I have seen. Unless you are one of those coffee can exhaust lovers, you can't beat them. You occasionally need to polish them with a little Blue Magic to remove the yellow heat staining, but that's all they need.
Jerry Scott[CO]

Reaction score
Hey I may not know too much on boosting Viper, but I do know a thing or two about Vipers and their exhaust tips. What you do is you get some plain household rubbing alcohol and rub a little bit on them and use aluminum foil. Do this two times to make sure you get it. Let the first time dry before you do the second, or dry it with a rag. Hey it's cheap, it's easy, and it works. E-mail me if you have anymore questions on how to do's.

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry, my first inclination was to try and cut out the inter cooler piece (except they were pretty dinged up and needed to be replaced anyway), because the stock Borla tips were 4" round already. But after looking at them I didn't see an easy way to get it done. Just curious, How did you cut yours out? I think the new Borlas now have a 3" (replacing the 2 1/2")intercooler piece inside a 4" outer tube.