difference between '99 and '00 ??

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
difference between \'99 and \'00 ??

I read somewhere in these posts "forgot where" that the 2000 vipers drive much smoother and better "for everyday use" then the 1999, is this true ??? and why?????? i ask because i am going to buy a viper and would like to know if a '00 is worth the extra money ??????

THANKS AGAIN GUYS

Reaction score
Re: difference between \'99 and \'00 ??

For everyday driving, I feel the addition of ABS brakes is the most important change since the 96 suspension change. If possible buy a 2001. You can get a good price from Woodhouse in NE, or Santa Monica Dodge, in CA.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Re the ABS...anybody know anything about the MOPAR ABS upgrade kit, that was mentioned at VOI6, it was under development for post '96 Vipers? Thanks

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean is correct. The engine is different in several respects, the most noticable being the pistons and cam. The cam is much smoother which results in better emissions and a less radical idle. This also eliminated the infamous "neutral gear rattle" (NGR) which has plagued Vipers for years. While the cast pistons are claimed (by Dodge) to be 38% stronger than their previous forged brothers, I would hesitate to throw nitrous or a supercharger on this engine. As to being stronger overall, I would say that the 2000's are every bit as strong and sometimes even stronger in terms of performance. Hennessey dyno'ed the 2000's when they first came out and the numbers were pretty impressive. I am sure they will last every bit as long as their predecessors. That was another reason for the change: Longevity.

My 2 cents: If it makes a big difference in price, go with the '99. I believe there are cures for NGR and the "lopey" cam sounds great at idle. Better yet, find yourself a '97 which was also rumored to have an even more "lopsided" cam and often run VERY strong. There are quite a few changes between a '97 and a '99, but we can save that for another post.
You must be registered for see images
Good luck!

Chris

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Interesting!

I was told the 2000 Vipers were stronger than the previous Gen II models. They are supposedly about 15HP stronger. This came from the dealer -- who we all know and love here!

Steve

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Couple of other minor changes, besides the cast pistons, was a change in the PCV valve and routing, deeper oilpan with baffles and aluminum gasket, & change in top of piston design. The oilpan also increased the capacity to 10 qts., and I would say that the advantages of one over the other is often open to debate, but that's what makes it so much fun to own a Snake.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have had 3 Vipers, '94 RT, '96 GTS & now a 2000 GTS. The 2000 is the strongest one. The best way I can describe it, is that the difference in power between the '94 & '96 was considerable. The difference between the '96 and my current 2000 is almost the same as the difference felt between the '94 & '96. But that said...buy the car you like...if you like sidepipe cars (I do) get an early one. If you like blue-white striped GTS'..get a'96 or '97...it's all personal taste!

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In addition to the pros/cons and differences above, I also believe that the connecting rods are different in 2000 and later ones as well. I find it strange that no one has brought this up before, but there are connecting rods in the MOPAR book that say "same as 2000-01 production" and "use only with 2000-01 production piston" implying that the earlier cars had different rods. I do not know what the differences are, but I have heard of some problems with them when adding nitrous, and other non NA power adders.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Buy the car in the best condition, with the lowest mileage, at the best price, with or without any mods you want, that is most convenient to where you live.

The differences between the 99 and 00 are probably less important then these other factors, although I believe in general, that changes made from year to year will improve the car.

Jim

OP
OP
T

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all the help guys, i think i found the car i want. its a few hours away, its a '00 GTS. not sure about the price though. i thought i was getting a good deal, but a few people i called said he was asking too much. still thinking it over.

Even if this car does not work out, i will most likely go with the 2000 model year.

THANKS AGAIN, U GUYS ARE GREAT. Glad to be part of the team "soon i hope"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets