Viper VS. Talon (Good Race!)

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping to get in on the speedway fun but did not get registered fast enough. I'm going to try and at least get in as a spectator and get some pictures/video.

FinnViper, where about in Lewisville are you? I've seen a blue w/ white stripes in my neighborhood.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

Looks to me like the race was over before you even left the line. You R/T was .245 sec slower and you lost by only .162 sec.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing to be ashamed of with that encounter. A few spectators who don't realize the potential of AWD Mitz and Talons plus Buick GNs and Supras. Bottom line is if they are matching your et and speed they are making the same HP.
BUT, they are highly modified to get their. And they don't match the all around performance of the Viper. Anyone can modified anything to do one or two chores, but we have a car that box stock can whip near anything.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BWoodbury, you're right... but bear in mind the timing doesn't start until you actually start moving (break the beam), so even if I had matched his R/T, he would have run a faster time than me, even though I may have beaten him through the lights.

The thing about this race is that it was really close, and I just wanted to clear up the misinforamtion.

Anyone can look at the timeslip and see that his lead was dwindling down the whole track. To say that I was with him at the 100' mark is just totally inaccurate - I was .31 seconds behind at the 60' mark, .30 behind at the 330', .25 behind at the 1/8, .21 behing at the 1000', and .166 behind at the 1/4. If that ain't reeling someone in, I don't know what is. To say that "when I hit 3rd, I just pulled away" is also inaccurate - his lead was slowly eroding the whole time, and with a little more track, I would have won. He had a better R/T so it LOOKED like he was further out in front, but I was gaining.

The guy was cool, so I don't want to talk smack about him or the race, but I absolutely, positively NEVER said what he says I said. I did say I knew they were good off the line - I think the quote was more like "It was all over after the first 60', but I was pulling you down the track". He even said that to me "I think you were pulling me towards the end there" - and I was!

Maybe someone can tell me where this DSM list is so I can go set the record straight?
You must be registered for see images

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SB,

I just thought I saw quite a few stickers on the car - and when I saw the race seats and 5-points, I figued "oh, this guy must be sponsored by a shop or something". I don't really remember exactly though, so it's quite possible that he didn't have a lot of stickers, but it's just when you said "it has no stickers on it" I would swear there were several. But that is neither here nor there.

As for the actual race, like I said, I dunno who Doug is (who said we were even at 100'), but I just feel the race happened a little differently, and the timeslip agrees
... He won the race in the first 60 feet - the whole rest of the time I was playing catch up. You can see from my other post that the distance between us was closing down the entire track, and I took the original .31 second lead he had and turned it into a .16 second lead by the end of the track. If anything, I was pulling him harder further down the track (I only made up .06 in the first 1/8th, but I reeled him in .09 in the second 1/8th).

After the race ended, I was trying to get next to him to say Hi, but his lane started moving, so the next time around he came over. He was a real nice guy, and he beat me fair and square - but I didn't say I was in trouble when he hit 3rd - I said I was reeling him in just a little and he said he thought he saw that in his rear-view. I said I used to have an Eclipse and I know how well they can run, and I said his car looked nice... that was about it since I didn't see him again that night.

As a sidenote, I was really disappointed with my MPH that night... I cleaned out my airfilters and shifted later and my MPH went to the 118-119 range. That's neither here nor there, but it woudl help my chances in another race. Did any of your DSM club members see my car run the [email protected] the next night?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug,

I didn't get a chance to meet you - maybe next time. I guess things are always different from inside the car. I knew Mike's car was going to jump out on me off the line, and from what I saw, he did. I saw his tailights immediately and it was like that all down the track, except I was slowly gaining. I don't recall being next to Mike's car at any time, and from looking at the timeslip, it looks like my impression was right... I mean, I was behind by .31 seconds after 60', and 270' later I was behind by .30, so I only made up one 100th of a second in that time - so at 100', I was still at least .3 seconds behind, and he had me by about .2 on reaction time, so I was 1/2 second behind, which was probably a few carlenghts (which is what it felt like to me). Like I said, it's always different from inside the car so I'm just going by what I saw and what the timeslip said. Again, he did absolutely beat me fair and square, so I give him all the credit in the world!

Mike,

Yeah, looks like our little run stirred the *** a little. Like I said a bunch of times, I give you credit for the run - I didn't miss shifts or anything - you won fairly and your car is quick. I must be thinking of another car with alot of stickers on it... I remember a white rectangular sticker on the front driver fender - so if that wasn't you then it must have been another car. I didn't realize there were a bunch of you guys up there so I guess I saw someone else's car. I did think you had an Eclipse, so maybe I saw someone else's car the first time and took it to be you. I also thought you had racing seats - but I was looking at the car w/a bunch of stickers, so maybe that wasn't your car again - you weren't there and this was before we raced - so I may be wrong here. As for what I said, I said you had me off the line and had an amazing 60' time - I didn't think you were lying or anything, but I know that I talk to a lot of people at the track and I often get parts of conversations mixed up. I think I was reelign you in very slightly down the entire track, but you launched off the line HARD and I had no chance after that.

We'll have to do it again
Like I said, no hard feelings at all and I had a good time and a good run with you. If any of youe DSM guys are up there again, stop by and say hi - I used to have a 95 Eclipse and I miss that car - so I'd love to check out your rides too...

-Mike

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was my car that raced the DSM.... it is a bone stock 1998 GTS with only K&N filters and smooth tubes.

To be honest I was running pretty badly that night - I cleaned out my airfilters (which were very clogged) and my MPH jumped to the 119-120 range the next night, and my ET's dropped to 12.0's-12.2's. My car ran an 11.78 @ 120 the next night in the exact same form, except with cleaned out airfilters.

I won't make excuses - this guys car was fast, and he won. You'll notice from the MPH's however that mine was getting higher, so I was slowly catching up to him. The race was over after the first 60'... I had about a 2.1 and he was in the 1.7's, and there was no way I could make that lead up in the 1/4.

The guy was cool and we both talked afterwards - I told him I used to have an Eclipse so I know what they can do, and we both complimented each others cars. If I remember correctly the car had a LOT of stickers on it. Maybe they were vinyl ones that can come off, but it wasn't what I would call a sleeper at all. It also had racing seats and 5-point belts, and some really nice rims.

As for what I said, I never said anything about him pulling me in 3rd... it was the other way around... I dunno who "Doug" is, but I did not catch him at any time, I was slowly reeling him in (very slowly) down the entire track. It's not like I had him and he took off at warp 8 - absolutley not!

I would gladly run this car again as soon as I get my drag radials on. That would even things up, and I know I have the power to beat this car, just need to get a good launch against him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper