Another title question from a potential owner....

jgfurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm contemplating the purchase of a 94 RT so I ran a CarFax. The title was clean, but man was there a bunch of title issues. I'm talking 13 of them! I've spoken to the current owner and the dealer he got it from. The dealer said that, depending on the state and title slip, a new title could be required every time the car moved to a different dealership. From what I can tell, this would mean the car's had two owners (two liens reported on CarFax) and has been through 11 dealers/wholesalers. I've never seen this before. Anyone have some insights? Do these cars tend to travel between dealerships all the time?

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. Take your time to find what you want. Make a list and keep to it. I.E. 95' or less, less than 30k miles, red, RT-10, etc. etc. Took me 2 months to find what I wanted. There are a lot of rebuilt cars out there too, be careful, just seen a post not long ago where a guy had an uneven frame. Pay now or pay later.....

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The car may be ok, but you should be cautious. A salvage or rebuilt title can be washed by transferring to other states. A long carfax report is the first red flag. A dealer does not have to transfer the title until the car is sold. While the dealer has the car, the title is "open" and only signed over to the current dealer, which doesn't show up in a carfax report.

Just be careful. Your gut instinct has already prompted you to post about your concerns. We'd all hate to see your dream purchase turn into a nightmare.

signed,
Sean "my father has been a dealer since 1972" Roe