What is your favorite Viper Moment?

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got my Viper nothing gave me more pleasure than opening the driver's side door. Just walking up to the car and pressing the button, having the door pop open and invite me in. Nothing said "this car is mine" more than that moment.

As the months went on I found a new and better magic moment. This occurred each time I took my wife out for dinner in the Viper. Watching her get out of the car in a cocktail dress was simply breathtaking. And it always seemed to attract a crowd.

This Spring, however, has shown me a new love. It is that moment at a 4-way stop sign (I have a half dozen on the way to work) when you step up to the head of the line. It seems almost as though the entire world stops. Certainly the other 3 cars would never dare to intrude into what has now become my intersection. I always take a second and look at the surrounding cars, trying to judge whether their owners would appreciate The Snake enough to deserve a bit of a show. I then enter the intersection with just the appropriate amount of wheel spin. These rears will never last the summer anyway...

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing beats the moment I got it, simple....

Nothing like that first girlfriend you had.........

Gerald

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 39 k miles, I have 2 that stand out. First, the head turner episode. One day I'm driving down a street and coming the other way are fire trucks, rescue squads, etc and all hell is breaking loose. Traffic is parting in all directions when I notice that one of the fire trucks has come to a complete stop while everyone on board is straining to look at the VIPER.( I felt sorry for whomever was waiting for the Emergency vehicles). The other was the time that Winston Cup driver Ricky Rudd took some hot laps in my car with me in the passenger seat. I never knew how much fun it could be to see someone who knows how to drive have a hand at the wheel.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 2 moments that stick out,

First, my girlfriend and I were up at a vintage car show in Atascadero on our way to S.F., we knew we wouldn't win anything because it was basiclly for 70s and older.
A young boy about 11 stood there staring for 10 minutes with his dad, I finally asked the boy if he wanted to sit in the driver's seat and have his dad take a picture of him, well with an ear to ear smile he gets in and low and behold in a matter of seconds there is a line of children waiting their turn to sit in the driver's seat, of course they all got their turn.

Second is a little different, it would have to be blowing the doors off a 2001 Porsche Twin Turbo at 170 mph.

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one falls under the heading of "That special pleasure that comes from bein' bad." ... and getting away with it
You must be registered for see images

It was 2 yrs ago, the last time I street-raced ... and the last time I ever will.

It was mid-summer and I was coming home from work in my '95 RT at about 1 AM. Streets are virtually deserted except for the miscellaneous hot-rodders out lookin for the sh**. I'm sitting alone at a light waiting to turn left onto a long five-lane straight through a commercial section. A C5 pulls through the intersection ahead of me, slows, looks at me and then lights up his tires in a huge display. I'm tired and not feeling very feisty so I just sit there and watch him go (light's still red for me). Then he comes back the other way and does the same thing, smokey burnout in the middle of the intersection ... clearly taunting me.

Well by the second time I'd had enough of him so when the light changed I turned onto the straight hoping to follow him. Didn't have to worry because lo and behold he's turning around to come back for a third show-off pass. I slow to about 5 mph and he turns around to get up beside me. I gave him the look and a single nod and we're off simultaneously. I hooked well and had him by a car length in first, 3 at the top of second and by the top of third I swear he must have been 8-10 lengths back and fading. I stuck my hand out the window and gave him a huge lazy wave goodbye (that I'm sure he could see in his lights) as I pull fourth and keep going. After I hit fourth he just shut it down and disappeared behind me. Turns out staying on the gas was probably what saved my butt.

I crested a small rise, slowed and pulled onto a side street to wait for the vette. I was sure he'd be along and would want to chat. Sure enough here comes, but real slow and cautious. Pulls up right behind me at the curb and stops. Just then I see the flashing lights as a cop comes tearing over the hill and screaches in behind both of us. At that point I'm thinking "I'm toast. I'm gonna spend the night in jail with a bunch of father-rapers and my car's going to be scrapped onto some redneck's flatbed and impounded."

The cop gets out of his car and walks up to the vette and I can hear his angry hollering over my engine. I stay in the car thinking he'll get to me in a jiffy. But he doesn't even look my way ... just stays at the vette giving him the treatment. After a couple of minutes of being ignored I'm starting to see that he doesn't want me at all. So VERY timidly I put it in gear and start to pull away from the curb, just sure that he's gonna look up and pump a few warning shots at me for trying to leave the scene. Nope. I slowly slink away into the surrounding neighborhood and then when out of sight I haul a$$ back home.

The cop must have been sitting in a parking lot on the vette's side of the road as we blew by him. By virtue of being slow, the vette was the one the cop got a good look at and by staying on the gas I got over the hill and out of sight before he could positively ID me.

What a humiliating experience for the vette driver, I almost felt sorry for him. By virtue of getting crushed in the race, he also gets busted and probably has his car impounded. I was lucky as hell and I knew it. Couldn't possibly ever have another street racing experience quite as fortunate or satisfying so I vowed to quit then and there and leave on top. Been straight ever since, but I still savor those sweet images over and over in my mind.

BurnR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB per your post it makes it a very small world....my first and only Indy was 96 and I remember your car and the moment very vividly.....How ironic that it was you....I also remember seeing a sh*t load of Vipers and thinking I will get one of those "someday"....thanks for bringing back a very cool and not so distant memory...

Sam Vipeme Brasile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
John B. I have to agree with you I was there at Indy (96) we were in front of your cars, the look on the crowds faces something that my dad and I will always remember. When we got to the end and parked the cars to see you guys, then the Viper with the wreath went by it was dead silence in honor of his trajedy, now that put a lump in my throat.
Sam B.(mcvo)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say I have had several. They include:

1. Picking the car up at CAAP. I was welcomed like a friend of the family and the craftspeople were INCREDIBLE. Having your very own Viper sitting at the end of the tour is something you will NEVER forget.

2. My first drag race at the track. Even being a novice, it was an absolute blast. It got more attention than any other car there and managed to compete with the best.

3. My first road course in Topeka last year about this time. Even my Porsche driving instructor could only say "wow" as the car cornered like it was on rails. I always got a kick out of go karts, but this really was a thrill. Like Malibu Gran Prix on steroids!

4. My first car show. Besides the crowds, I enjoyed letting people sit in the car as they wished. The most memorable was a gentleman who was probably around 80 years old. It took a bit of work to get in and out of the drivers seat, but you should have seen him light up when he got in. He looked like he gained back about 60 years as he took hold of the steering wheel. It was awesome.

5. VOI 6! What an AWESOME time and a great bunch of people! The events were great, the food was awesome, and the driving spectacular. Highlight: As I spun out in the autocross with the Viper (did not TOUCH a cone the whole time, thank you very much) my wife held on beside me and yelled, "WHEEEEEE!" This is from a woman who rolls her eyes every time she gets in the car. It was a lot of fun meeting all of the great Viper owners out there.

These are just a few of the many great moments I have had with the Viper. With many more to come!

Chris

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My favorite Viper moment was probably when I first picked up my car at the dealer. I flew from Detroit to Chicago and took a limo to the dealer. I walked in and there sat my car on the second level of the dealership all by itself facing straight at me. It sent chills up my spine, it was such an incredible looking car I could not believe I was actually there to buy it. I drove the car the 300 some miles back to Detroit among many thumbs up and several kids going totally crazy looking out the back windows of mini-vans and such at the car. I put about 2,000 miles on it in the first month or so of ownership, which included a 1,100 mile roundtrip back to my small hometown in Wisconsin. What fun. The people in those small towns that may have never seen a Viper in person went totally nuts.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My second best moment occurs every time I walk into my garage & see her sitting there, I swear everyday for the past 3 mos I have been amazed that I actually own this car & that I could enjoy it so much. But, ...

The number one moments involve someone else, for instance when I picked up my nephew from high school one day & his friends went nuts around it - he was the man. Or when I've given rides to some of the kids in the neighborhood & the karate school my son goes to .. or when my son (7 yrs old) asks if we can leave mom home so we can take the viper when we go out, too cool.

That's not one best moment I guess, but what a great car enthusiast experience this car has been & continues to be.

Dave.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all happened in the Winter of '97-98. A local Dodge dealer was at my place of business to be videotaped. He saw my Superbird parked in the corner of our studio and told me that "he had a car at his dealership that I HAD to try out". It was a '97 GTS. A friend and I went over the following Saturday. The owner gave us the keys, said "be careful, and come back when you are ready...no rush". that was my best Viper moment...a moment that changed both my friend's, and my, look at the older musclecars forever.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey B,your post is De ja vu
,We are the chosen ones,its all fantastic.Thanks for the standing offer at dyno day,i'm still working on it.P.S. I like this guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper