What mods to consider when doing a head gasket change?

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to replace my head gaskets on my '94 RT and am wondering what other reasonable mods I could make while I have it ripped apart. Best bang for the buck is what I'm looking for. Headers, cam?

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patrick,

If you are considering mods, your best bet is porting and larger valves. A cam change can also help, but should be considered secondary depending on your application.

Also, a 180 degree thermostat is a must do item.

Feel free to contact me for more information on any of the above.

Tom

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The suggestions that Tom presented, plus anything else that
could be done with your heads off - like milling the heads, intake porting,etc.
Organize your wish list, and have it all done together and save money and time-
turn this misfortune into an opportunity.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would do a full heads (port, polish, larger valves, etc.), cam upgrade and roller rockers with new push rods. The t-stat is a no brainer.

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on spending a bunch of money on the car right now. What kind of coin am I looking at with the porting and valves and what kind of HP increase could I expect. Likewise with the cam and roller rockers?

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on spending a bunch of money on the car right now. What kind of coin am I looking at with the porting and valves and what kind of HP increase could I expect. Likewise with the cam and roller rockers?

Good heads - complete $4,000, Cam $700, T&D's $1,100-1,200. I think Heffner posted that he sells complete heads w/T&D's for $4,800.

All Viper stuff is a bunch of money. :(

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on spending a bunch of money on the car right now.

How about a used Gen II cam (96-99) probably can pick one up for about a hundred bucks, then just $200 in extra gaskets, plus labor to install. Just a thought, don't know if it would work or the gains, but would be cheep :laugh:

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, it looks like a good friend of mine has convinced me to do the head gasket job together with him. I'm a bit nervous but I trust him. He suggested we could do the porting. He has done this before on many other cars. Any advice on porting would be helpful. What about the larger valves, what do I get? I'm going to replace the T-stat for sure but what about the Gen II cams? Do they fit without any changes and does anyone have them for sale? I'm sure with all the Gen II's getting new cams there must be some good originals around.