I Need Help Choosing A CD Changer To Put In The Trunk

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello:

I just purchased a brand new 2001 Dodge Viper RT/10 but I need a CD changer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there one that is available through the Dodge Dealership? If I get a CD Changer, will I need a new head unit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Keith

flossm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the eclipse unit, it is excellent for non skip.... The best I've ever seen. A far as working with the head unit, check the dealer/installer for sure, I don't think you will have any problem.. :cool:

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went thru this!
the one from DC is a Alpine/Mopar part.
I was quoted as high as $360
I was lucky and got it on ebay new in box for $228
but he still has a few for buy it now $250.
I was told by a dealership that is below thier cost.
here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3289&item=3008078247&rd=1

I liked the idea of stay with DC stock radio and CD changer.
But did order the speakers pioneer (yellow) for the doors.
those in Crutchfields $150, local shop $115, Ebay $72!!
gotta love ebay. makes for global marketplace. :laugh:
good luck
Jim :D

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Jim:

Thank you for all your help. I love eBay as well. There are so many deals to be had on there. I just had one more question for you, do I only need the CD Changer? Is there another part that I must buy in order for the stereo system to recognize that there is a 6 disc changer?

Thanks for all your help again

KEITH

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim, I just ordered the CD Changer from your eBay address too. $250 plus $10 S&H. New in the box. Great deal. And thanks for the pics to show where it goes.
Curt

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told no.
That our radios have the cd button to work the changer so we are fine.
The seller says that the install kit "bracket" for the trunk comes with it.

The install kit from DC is $35. Free with the his deal.
so I should have mine this week and install in about 4 weeks :(
darn winter!

I have nothing to do with the sale of these just passing a long a good deal. IMHO!

good luck
JIM

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Jim:

Thank you for all the information. I just purchased the kit of eBay and I cannot wait to get it. I have bought so many things for my car but it does not arrive for another 3 weeks. Darn this weather. I am very eager with anticipation and to tell you the truth it is driving me crazy. I am sure all of you felt the same way.

Thanks again

Have a good weekend

KEITH

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keith,
mine arrived today. a original mopar part!!
in the mopar box and free mopar part numbered install kit.
awesome deal we got!!! the kit alone i was quoted $35!!
I already told my viper tech and he said install would not be a problem seeing he did his
last year!! and he paid more for his than we did!!!
The seller is awesome. packed right no shipping damage.
arrived in a two days!!
good luck
best wishes
JIM

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score
Has everyone or anyone else gotten these Mopar CD Changers to work? I finally got around to installing the one I bought and it is not working. ??

I first installed it by just plugging the supplied cable into the lead coming out of the back of the Gen I radio (ignored the red and white RCA jacks), with the other end plugged into the CD Changer. This did not work for me. The radio did not recognize the CD Changer - nothing happened when I pressed the "disk" button, and the CD Changer cartridge eject worked only occasionally.

Then I read about the "Alpine adapter", so I found one of these on eBay included with an older Alpine CD Changer. I won that, and hooked it up to my existing cable (plugged into only the radio lead) with the CD end plugged into the Alpine adapter then the Alpine CD changer, which had separate audio leads. The radio saw the changer and by display indication "played" CDs, but I could not hear them. I suspect I would need another Alpine adapter at the radio end to hook up to those red and white RCA jacks.

So then I pulled the radio back out and put the Alpine adapter between the radio CD lead and RCA jacks and the Mopar cable, then plugged the Mopar CD changer back in. No good. It is still not recognized by the radio, and has the same cartridge ejection problem. Bummer. The CD Phanger may be bad? I don't think I can return this for warranty repairs since I bought it off of eBay, and 8 months ago.

Can anyone help me? Was my last try the correct way to hook this thing up? Is there something I'm missing here? Any advice would be appreciated.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FlyinLow, is there any chance you have a pic of the Alpine Adapter?

I am trying to go thru the EXACT same procedure, I have an upgraded Sony head unit installed in my car from the Prev Owner, and it has a single CD...No doubt it is a better than stock unit, but I like the looks of the stock unit, and I want a changer in the trunk...I went to a stereo shop and they told me about the Alpine adapter, they said the Dodge Alpine connector was not the same as genuine ALipine connector...Damn, I can't tell if they are scamming me or not, but they seems to know what they were talking about...

Tomer

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you guys are making this way to hard.... all you have to do is buy these
two things...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T7194LL/A

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

Now just put the Ipod in the pocket between the seats... no installation required
and turn on your radio. Works and sounds fantastic. and the remote works well
also. Did I mention that it does hold 10,000 songs...

And you can just put the thing in your pocket and use it in any of your cars and
in the house too.

These things are great and they work with windows or mac. Even if you don't
get the Ipod the free Itunes has a great radio streaming at 128... all for free. :shocked:

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score
Tomer, I'm not the one to ask what you need, since I haven't gotten mine to work yet. Unfortunately I am away from home for the holiday and can't shoot a photo, but the Alpine Adaptor that I got is a black box about 2"x1"x.7" with a female CD cable connector on one side and a short-lead male CD connector and two RCA connectors (red and white) on the other. It apparently inserts or extracts the audio onto or from two lines on the CD cable. There is a number in the name of this thing but I don't remember what it is.

I am (we are) still looking for someone who has actually made this work and know what we need to go where... (Dixter - you may still be right, maybe the ipod is better and easier, but then what do I do with this other stuff?)

GG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the same thing for my 94 a few years ago. The key is to have the proper adapter. The only one I know that works for sure is the Alpine 4913 interconnector. When you plug it in properly with the factory Mother Mopar head unit, any Alpine made M-bus CD changer will work perfectly (including the Alpine made Chrysler unit). I have an Alpine CHMS 611 and a 620 which both work great. Also make sure you adjust the changer dampers properly for your choice of vertical or hoizontal mounting (to prevent skipping). Blitzsafe and PIE also make adapters, but there is confusion on their application charts as far as compatibility. I know Alpine stopped making the 4913 due to OEM's pressuring them to do so, but if you do some web searching they can be found. Hope this helps!

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ebay is great place to find deals. bought my 01 yellow rt 10 from a dodge dealer in rochester from ebay. flew there with jet blue and drove it 6 hours back into the city . if you know what you want and did your homework def buy from ebay. make sure the seller is reliable and has good feedback.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave