Basic Viper Maintenance question for first time owner

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of info contained via the search engine. Especially on the topic of oil.

I just changed my clutch. At 32,000 miles it still had plenty of life left in it.
I changed brakes at 28,000 miles. The fronts were done but the rears had more than 50% left. The desire to switch to EBC greens (less dust) was the motivating factor.
I change plugs every 2 years, regardless of mileage. Probably overkill but who wants to give up on a few horsepower.
I changed plug wires after 4 years to Magnacor. So far so good and no need for immediate replacement.
Tires - I have kept with Michelin but upgraded to the current version each time. On my 3rd set. Guess I am harder on the tires than the brakes or clutch.
Regarding oil I have been using Mobil 1 since the first oil change. I change twice a year, spring and fall, and once in between in I go over 3,000 miles. Also use Mobil 1 oil filters.

With Nitrous you may desire to change plugs & oil more frequently. I know I would.

Also, not to be neglected, I service the air filters every spring. Clean and new oil. A must if you use K&N filters.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All responses are IMO.

How often do the plugs need changed? Moderate street 5-10,000, track 1,000
How long do the stock clutchs last? w/o launches indefinitely, w/launches not long
What brand tires work best? Michelin Pilot Sport
What brand and weight of oil works best? Mobil 1, 10-30 street, 15-50 track
Is there ever a reason to run higher than Sunoco 94 octane? No

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard ! If you have not already done so, join the VCA and enjoy the discount you will get when you order the 1997 Viper Service Manual...there's a TON of info, how-to's, and the maintenance schedule. Good Luck and have fun with your Viper.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nat97GTS

This new car is it the 640 hp/nitrous car listed in your signature? If so, I would have a compression test and or leak/down test performed. I would also have it dyno'ed prior to purchase (if March 03) to verify the a/f ratio. The stock plugs are also a poor choice for a nitrous car, however, when you pull them for the compression test, their condition will also tell you a lot about the car.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets