Keeping the miles down on a viper .....

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
*****. I notiiced a lot of guys in the classifieds have like 10 miles on their cars.
I've put about 3200 miles on the car since I got my 01 back in July. That's about a 5k per year pace,but I'd like to drive it a little more..........C'mon people ,lets drive our Snakes!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each his own on the miles I guess, I drive mine, about 5K last summer on a 7 month season, I can't stare at it the garage and not drive it when conditions warrant GTS use!!

The true poser no miles crowd I don't think are a part of the "Viper Experience", and wouldn't frequent this site as much as us. Of course when they need a hand on a technical issue, the thread pops up (on a total post cound of 7 or so) on how to fix it. Interesting........

S

SUN RA KAT

I have a little over 5,100 miles on mine and I'd like to drive it more, but it's snowing again today and I've already washed enough salt off my Viper from driving it the one day every two weeks that there was no snow on the roads that my Zaino noticably needs to be re-Zainoed.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO PROMOTE GLOBAL WARMING SO I CAN DRIVE MY VIPER AGAIN?

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we are all laying on your death beds, I don't think any of us are going to think "I wish I hadn't put so many miles on my Viper." If anything we would all think "I wish I had driven it more and not worried about the mileage". Enough said, get out there and drive and enjoy your cars. I know I do. I can only drive it around 7 months out of the year due to the frickin snow, ice, and salt on the roads but I have put on about 14,000 smiling from ear to ear miles on it in my going on 4 years of ownership. May not seem like many to some, but may seem like a ton to others. When I feel like driving it, I do and with no thoughts of mileage.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about the weather today Sean, nice balmy 15 degrees is always nice in March, ugh............

Jim, is your car in the garage and the choice to drive or not is available on a daily basis? Not trying to offend, I just don't see how that could happen in my case to only run a few tanks of gas thru the car in a year. I guess if nothing else I take her out for a 80 mile return run on nice roads out to my parents house every Sunday afternoon like clockwork. (and if they are not home I hunt them down at the marina, dam, another 10 miles, haha)
Guess being single and parents that like to BBQ for the kids as they freeload meals has it perks. The lack of time is the biggest problem them? Must frustrate the heck out of you, as you know your stuff on the board, heavy poster. Those few rides must bring an ear to ear grin that's for sure!!!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got 43K miles on mine, (bought it for 40K with warranty with 37K). I know a car with that much miles won't bring much more than $32-34K, but all that doesn't matter when I'm driving. When you think of those things, it can be a bother. So don't think, drive and enjoy. Mine purrs like a kitten while sitting at idle and roars like a lion when brought to life. She's bad, but not badasss until I get a BOOST (Roe S/C hopefully).

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive mine. My 97 GTS had 52,000 before I traded it for a 2001 GTS. It now has 16,000 miles.

anunakki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no intention of keeping the miles down...

Almost 4000 miles on her since delivery in November and I've been out of town half the time! She's there to drive , although I feel bad for the neighbor kids since its not so special seeing a viper anymore.

I figure I'll do about 10,000 a year.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I strive to get 8,000 miles per 6 month season. so far - so good--24K. That's in addition to me driving 40,000 miles per year getting back and forth to work. Where we live they say it can snow anytime before the '4th' or anytime after. Here's a little piece of weather trivia from our 'model' climate. In the last 36 hours, the temperature has swung from 48F on Saturday at 3PM to -36F this morning at 5AM. That's an 84 degree swing. Where else but the UP of Mich.

Steve

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sad part about it that most of the cars with over 20,000 miles are overlooked when people are in the market for a Viper. Seems like most people look for under 10,000 miles. Then the next bracket is under 25,000 miles. Anything more than that seems most people will pass on it. Just my observation through the years...

When I was in the market I was looking for price and low mileage. Bought mine for $37,500 with 7,200 miles in 2000 and that was from a Dodge Dealer...he originally was asking 48,000 for it. Apparently it sat on the floor for a while and he called me back wanting to move it. Funny thing is I stopped back at that same dealer last summer and he had a leftover 2001. COuldn't move that after sitting and also couldn;t move a 2001 Prowler either. Amazing. Reminds me of the stories where you heard of Superbirds and Daytonas not selling for a year or two and being pushed to the back of dealer lots for a year or two before they were almost given away back in the early 70's...

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the reasons that I chose a Viper was to have a supercar that I could enjoy and drive all of the time.
One of the downsides about Ferraris (other than high maintenance costs) is that their value drops right off when they have over 15K miles on them.

I felt a little of that pressure about the Viper, but I decided not to care and I've driven mine every day for over a year now (just topped 15K miles) I have a short commute, but I love it. I had planned on splitting my daily driving between the Viper and my other car, but the other car only go 800 miles on it last year. :laugh:

But one element is that we have mild winters here (the top has been off the car for the past few days enjoying the winter sun), so I don't have to worry about driving the car in snow.

-Dean.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*****. I notiiced a lot of guys in the classifieds have like 10 miles on their cars.
I've put about 3200 miles on the car since I got my 01 back in July. That's about a 5k per year pace,but I'd like to drive it a little more..........C'mon people ,lets drive our Snakes!

You're only getting 5k/year, why not get out and drive it?! LOL!

~20k/year here :) :) :) :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper